Thursday, February 16, 2017

Things I like Feb 16

These Thursday posts are such fun. Thank you Lee Ann.

These are things I like right now:

1. Lemon pound cake at Starbucks. I try to stay away but succumb about once a month.



2. Freebies at  MODA.  The  website is :blog.modafabrics.com...Just click on Fun and Free.  Great patterns, printable tags or labels, etc.

3.Freebie Friday at Craftsy. If you go to their blog section: craftsy.com/blog and subscribe (it's free), they will send you newsletters . On Friday, they have all kinds of  ideas and free patterns.


Do you see a "pattern" here?  hee hee. This brings me to my next favorite:

4. Quilting websites and bloggers who provide free patterns and tutorials to us quilting infants.
I was surprised when I started quilting 4 years ago what an expensive hobby this is for me. I am retired (so far) and living on a fixed income. Luckily, my first quilting teacher convinced me to purchase high quality fabric.  Since that time 4 years ago, I admit I did try once or twice to use inexpensive fabric which bled in the wash or stretched out of shape when pressed. Unfortunately, this was discovered after the quilt was completed.  I only pre-wash  larger than half yard cuts of fabric.
I learned my lessen to only purchase high quality fabric, then I don't have to worry about the end result.  It does however, come at a price and like other purchases in real life, you need to know your brand and distributor.
But, I digress. To take a class at a quilt shop is around $40 (plus materials) or if you purchase a pattern it costs anywhere from $6-$20!  Creativity shouldn't be so costly or sometime  not a possibility for some folks.   It's so much easier and fun  to watch a fellow sewist complete a project if it's free.
Thank you to all of you who have provided these choices for us.


I hope you will,link up with Lee Ann today.:lapaylor.blogspot.com  for more "things I like posts.
Have a great day!
mary

5 comments:

  1. yum, I'd eat the cake while looking at Moda's patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking out for free knitting patterns. It's rare to need to buy one anymore. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being retired, too, I am also always on the lookout for a way to pursue my quilting hobby in a thrifty way! I really appreciate all the free tutorials that are out there, and have made good use of them. I'll have to check out the links you mentioned! That lemon poundcake is a favorite of mine, too, and it looks tempting today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I love lemon cake, have to stay away from STarbucks, yikes that looked good! Thanks for being grateful for the blogs that offer free patterns!! Have a wonderful day and waving from Pennsylvania~~~~!

    ReplyDelete