Thursday, August 1, 2019

Things I like Thursdays Aug 1

Greetings!

Okay-what did you do with July????

Anyway, hope you are keeping cool in this crazy heat.  I feel like I've been busy, but I don't have much to show for it.  Haha.  Saturday started with a pedi with my daughter then lunch at Panera Bread. We love their sugar cookies- plain and so tasty.
 Of course,  we were across the parking lot from Hobby Lobby, so we spent 1.5 hours there looking at Christmas ideas!! She bought lots of little stuff for Christmas gift crafts with my grandson which is so smart to start now instead of her busy end of year month at work in December.

I purchased one item and it starts off my list of likes:

1. My carved, wooden  nativity scene:



It was $5.00!! Delicate but sturdy. It could be painted but I love the natural wood look. I remembered I had a beautiful navy fabric with stars for a background.  And, it is perfect.  Now I just have to make a quilt and attach the wood carving somehow to make a hanging.  The nativity scene is about 12 inches by 12 inches.  perfect size for a wall hanging.

2.  my Facebook Christmas Club group.  It's my second group on Facebook and it is so cool.  People post Christmas scenes-real and imagined.  It is so fun to look at in these heat waves.

3. Taking a risk with a new class.  I did not like it, but at least I tried.  It was a "learn to watercolor" class at my local Scrapbook store.  Here's what I made for $15 and 1.5 hours. A three inch cactus on a card:


The teacher was not experienced, organized or prepared for the class of 9 ladies. So, it was chaos.  I thought I had asked enough questions about the class in advance but the cashier who signed me up wasn't  knowledgeable about it either. When I told my daughter about the  experience and what I made, she could not stop laughing- she knows I hate cactus.  Oh well, you  don't know till you try.  Just keepin it real, folks.

4.  Kate in Northern England's vlog on You Tube.  Jocelyn of Canadian Needle Nana  blog offered a video of this woman last week and I am addicted to her Vlog.  Kate  is smart, fun, down to earth and has a lovely farm with cows, hens, cats, etc.  She talks (and shows) about cooking, quilting, pottery and much more. She is so charming.  Here is the link to her You Tube vlog:The last homely house east of the sea..  I sure hope this link works for you.  I believe the title is from a Tolkein novel or Lord of the Rings, something like that.
I hope you check her out.

5. This poster I made for over Thomas ' bed here at my home.


Sorry for the poor photo quality.



 He had an old drawing he did in the 4th grade and it was long time ready for something new.  I can't wait for him to see it-he loves his Suns and basketball.

That's all folks! Gotta get ready for my last Wednesday with Thomas before he returns to school on Monday.  This is so hard on kids here to go to school in this heat. I'll still have him every other
weekend after school starts, thank God.

Have a great day!
mary


8 comments:

  1. OMG the class... not good. I am a teacher and am so prepared with step outs, and ways to say something several ways to be understood. I would not have been happy with that either. So what little skill did you pick up while there? Something another artist did, or used? A way of mixing? I'm unhappy with the supplies I was encouraged to purchase at the store... no better than the ones I've been using. argh. Anyway... glad you're liking Jocelyn's farm woman's blog, I Like, people are great resources aren't they? Leeanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you have to try something to know if you're going to like it or not! I think you've been doing so wonderfully with your online painting classes - you might know more than that teacher. Glad you had that lovely time with your daughter, and love the carved Nativity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once took a quilting class once that was absolutely horrible...teaching is an art for sure...hugs, julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary! Oh, that poster over Thomas' bed is so cool. I have the COOLEST cross stitch pattern for the Suns - at least I think it is for them - I'll have to look now. If it is, I show it to you. Geez, now I'm doubting myself. And thanks for the video link. I'll check it out. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huzzah for trying new things. Too bad it was not a good class. I like what you did. I also really like that nativity scene. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have such a lovely time with your daughter, Mary. I do think it’s great you took a watercolour class but disappointing how it turned out. The instructor is everything. I’m happy you are enjoying Kate and her cats! I love to listen to her voice and hear all about her life and her projects...it is never boring.
    I’m also so glad we are blogging friends, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry the class wasn't a success, but at least you tried!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary - that's a beautiful nativity scene, especially with that fabric. I applaud you for trying something new, and I hope you won't give up! Joining you from I Like Thursday. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete