Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Things I like Thursdays Aug 22

Greetings!

Hope ya'll have had a good week!  Here's my list of "likes" for this week.  (Please join us at Lee Anna's sight for more "likes' at  Not Afraid of Color):

1. My new chiropractor.  I had a chiro for 20 years  paying full price because he wasn't covered on my insurance but he changed his business operation so I had to find a new one. Of course, I didn't do that right away and waited till I was in pain to the point of headaches. But, I got lucky and found a new one I like.  Here's her business card:


Isn't that a picture of serenity?  Smart.  And, yes she is.  This is my first time a female chiro worked on me. She looks and acts like Lindsay Wagner! Very cool.

2.  Decoupage red and white box
Here's  the simple supplies- shoe box, fabric scraps (red, white and pink),  decoupage Modge Podge and brushes.

4.5 hours later I have a pretty box;


This was the first time I tried to  decoupage.  It was pretty messy and took longer than I expected to do the box, lid, and sealing them after drying.  I didn't realize the lid wouldn't fit at the end. Oh well. I like this box  for holding my greeting cards.
I didn't like the finished product originally but when I saw it the next morning , I liked it.

3.  "Sister Act" musical at the Broadway Theater here.


Great performance and funny writing.  Of course, great music of the 70's.  My daughter and I went and had a great afternoon together.

 Here is a photo of the flowers in the lobby.  Can you see the little nuns?

And the "stained glass" done in flowers? Genius.


4.  Strawberry flavored cake.  Made in the microwave.  This time it's more like a sponge cake. 2.5 minutes and tasty.

I used strawberry  extract cause I can't have seeds. This is a same day cake that doesn't store well. But, it's only 6 inches wide!  Just sayin.

5.  Spanish Rice in the rice cooker.  Thanks to Jocelyn at Canadian Needle Nana once again for a cool recipe.



I used a brown rice, red rice blend.  This was really good and so easy.


6. Tomato paste in a tube



It's imported from Italy and of course more expensive than canned.  But, so convenient, tasty and no waste.  When I used the canned tomato paste, I never used a full can and even froze 1/2 can if I remembered but usually it was just waste.
I used this in the Spanish Rice dish-really good.


So, I haven't been sewing this week, but instead tried new recipes, made a pretty box  and went to the THEUUTER.
heehee.

Have a wonderful day!
mary

10 comments:

  1. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A REALLY FUN TIME THIS WEEK...;)))I like using the tubed tomato paste too..keeps so much longer...lotsa yummy things here;))) hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! Great idea, that tomato paste in a tube. I have never used a whole can no matter how small of a size that I buy. I usually just skip it! That brown rice looks SO good - I haven't had Spanish Rice in years. YUM - I'll be making some soon. I'll bet Sister Act was fun to see. I enjoyed that movie a lot. I'll have to see if it is going to be offered in the Chicago market soon. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to go into the picture on that business card and take a walk. Tubed tomato paste sounds like a great idea! I've never made a cake in the microwave (other than a mug cake), might have to give it a try. Hope you are having a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always thought tomato paste in a tube was a great idea. I rarely use the whole can, so having a tube makes more sense! Lucky you, going to the theatre! What a fun week you've had!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your box, Mary - a fun upcycled storage box! Glad you found a good new chiropractor and had fun at the theater, too. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool stuff! Love the idea of tomato paste in a tube to save leftover. As to the cake... as if I'd need to store it, sad to say it would just disappear here. Hooray on finding a good chiro... it's a miracle to find one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a great week, Mary. I actually love your box...the closest I've come to such is covering shoe boxes with wrapping paper to use for gifts. I keep meaning to do more of it because it does look special.
    THanks for the mention and I too like the tomato paste that comes in a tube...I always wasted the rest of the can which was a nuisance.
    We are going to the theatre on Sunday as it happens. I loved the movie Sister Act.Hope you are feeling all limber with the new doc!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red and white box is cool! Strawberry cake in the microwave. Interesting. Tomato paste in a tube sounds handy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did such a great job with the red and white box. I've heard great things about Sister Act. I've never seen tomato paste in a tube. Sounds interesting! So glad you found a good chiropractor. They definitely help you to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am curious about decoupage. I have never tried it. I am even more curious about the Strawberry cake. It is Paul's favorite flavor. Going to see the Sister Act with your daughter is the absolute highlight of this post. I love the little nuns :-)

    ReplyDelete