Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Things I like Thursdays Aug 8

Greetings!

I'm gonna be real honest here and tell you it's difficult (again) to list" likes" with all the bad news in this last week of bad news everywhere.  I won't list them here but just know it's affecting a lot of us.
And, more importantly, nothing is being done here in the U.S. to stop the gun violence or hateful rhetoric.

Luckily, I have really cool people to watch on You Tube, bloggers who share their thoughts with artistry and Hallmark movies.  Self survival. Some would say I'm avoiding or escaping  and they are correct.  It's overwhelming some days. I have Tune In radio on my electronics and just installed Pandora on my I phone so I can listen to  calming (elevator) music. Needless to say, I go to my quilting or painting for solace.

So, here are my "likes" for this week that have brought me joy:

1. My "Trees" painting



Serene. It only took about a half hour!

2.  My great granddaughter's new bag.



 It's a cute, lined, zippered bag for her 4th birthday. It measures 10 x 10 x 4. I decided it needed her name on it AFTER IT WAS FINISHED!
Insane choice.


Here is my work space where I was trying to figure out how to monogram  with my Janome 6600!
Manual, I pad, notes, and of course Cheez Its.  It took 2.5 hours to monogram a small pink fabric and sew it to the front:

That's as big as the letters got. Not even an inch tall.  Disappointing.  I can't figure out how to enlarge the width or length of stitch as this a preset setting.  I checked on chat lines for this problem and they just say "enlarge the length and width" but that's not possible. Any ideas my friends?  Anyway, I was short on time as her party is this weekend so I got it done.  It does have a little pocket:


I hope she likes it.  I'm going to stuff it with Dollar Store school-type items like colored pencils, stickers, etc.

3. Pulling fat quarters to use up from my stash for a new 4 square quilt.





They are  much prettier in person. I don't know why the colors are not true from my I phone.  The very top pieces are light blue not gray. Gheeze. There is a main print of white, blue, red,turquoise, yellow, green, pink flowers and so I pulled those colors to enhance the main print. I'll cut them (maybe today) into 5 inch squares and then do a four square block. 
Here are some close-ups:






That's better.


Well peeps, hope you are healthy and happy.  Thanks for dropping by and please join us at Lee Anna's site:Not Afraid of Color

Have a great day.
mary 😃

9 comments:

  1. What a cute bag--I'll bet she'll love her name on it too...
    It's hard to get excited with all that's going on that is for sure...
    I don't like the way our country is going at all...
    hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! I have true color issues with my iPhone as well. But your second shots look blue, so that's good! I am in denial with my head in the sand about our country's issues. I keep thinking it has to get better in a year and a half. If only. Your granddaughter's bag is SO CUTE. I adore the little inside pocket. This bag will store and carry many treasures for her. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Mary! I'm with you on being overwhelmed by the bad news and awful rhetoric. I'm all about the escape, lol! Love your painting! And your great-granddaughter's bag - so cute! What a fun gift for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. all of my caring friends are in the same boat... avoiding but surviving however they can. Despair isn't healthy so...I know a woman here, who carries a concealed weapon in her handbag to our senior coffee... I asked who she was going to shoot. Oy.

    Love the little named bag and she will too. I've noticed my alphabets are small too, some fonts are larger. The tree painting is wonderful with depth and perspective. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you found things to like even amid all the awfulness! The bag is so cute- I too have a Janome (it's a horizon) and I've never figured out how to make the letters much bigger than that either so sadly I don't have much to suggest. It looks cute though, and I sympathize with that ugh-decide-to-add-a-feature-after-the-fact. It often adds work so disproportionately!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh - I love your trees! I really like that bag, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary. As I said in my post this news affects us all...it is a scarier world.
    Meanwhile, I love your trees...really pretty. It’s so clever you can make bags like that! I’m sure it will be loved. I hate it too when something that sounds simple to figure out is not.
    You seem to have come up with great coping mechanisms btw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mary, I am with you about the string of distressing and heart-breaking news lately. I have been meaning to write a post but feel too overwhelmed with emotion every time I start. The personalized pink bag is a darling but your tree painting is the best. Sending hugs and warm wishes.

    ReplyDelete