Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Things I like Thursdays Jul 25

Greetings!

Yes, I'm still here, not melted. I haven't left the house for 5 days due to bronchitis and the heat.  Today I need to go to the library and Walmart. Pray for me.
I had let the non breathing properly issue go for weeks and finally realized I needed to do maintenance.  I'm feeling much better.

Here are my likes for this week:

1.  COPD meds on hand.  I have the best lung doctor.  She understands her patients. Just sayin.
I have necessary meds on hand for flare ups of bronchitis.  I am so grateful. It usually only takes 4-5 days to feel better so I can function. I don't have to run to Urgent Care or try to get into her office.

2. Cleaning out this old PC.  I need to get a new PC-eventually.  I have an I pad but it's not as comfortable as sitting at this PC with a large monitor and keyboard.  My thumbs get sore with the I pad.  But, if this PC fails, I'm very grateful for the I pad.
Back to the topic at hand. I've had this HP unit about 7-8 years and of course it's obsolete or will be.  I also am using Windows 7 which I prefer to Windows 10 ( and have not purchased 10 but was forced to use it at my old job).
 I received a notice recently from Microsoft they  won't support Windows 7 anymore- I think that's wrong. I paid dearly for your product-I shouldn't be forced to spend more and upgrade. Anyway, I digress-again.  I've been deleting old recipes, quilting tutorials I've never used, files, etc on this system to free up space and just organize better. It is very time-consuming. I'll keep at it. Don't even ask how many photos I need to delete.

3.  Easy Microwave chocolate cake




Needless to say, I am not using the oven due to the heat.  But, I wanted a piece of cake and found this on allrecipes.com.  It's great!  I baked it in a stoneware pie plate so it's pretty flat, but good.

Then, I decided I wanted a white cake so I did not use the cocoa and instead changed the vanilla to a tablespoon.  This is my vanilla 6 inch sponge cake from the same recipe:




I liked it as- is but it would be good with fruit or jam on top. It's the perfect size, too.
I have no idea why it has a whole in the bottom- it cooked in a glass bowl.
I didn't spend 10 minutes making either cake!

4.  Bud Light's tweet:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/18/us/area-51-bud-light-trnd/index.html

I hope this link worked. (It did work on my end.)  I thought this was hysterical.   If you are not aware, many (like thousands) of people are wanting to go to Area 51 to "see the aliens  the government is hiding from us" in September. Of course, most rational people think this is a joke.

5.  Being "Notification free".  I changed my Iphone to "no notifications"  in my Settings.  I used to be a news junkie and liked to know what is going on around me and in the world.  But, the notifications were affecting my serenity!  My daughter suggested it because she had done it and felt less alarmed.
I am much happier not knowing every horrible thing that has happened today. I can check the tv news if necessary.

6.  Dits and Dots quilt is done.


It's 44 inch square made with disappearing 9 patches pattern from leftover charms  and solid blocks.  It's  very cheery.  I'll wash it today.  I'm not sure where I'll donate it yet- I have several options.  See the orange fabric used on the back?- it's old from 2014 and from my stash.  It's from Fabric Traditions on the selvage.  I got it in a discount baggie at my LQS.  I do not recommend it.  It's so stiff and difficult to work with.  Hope the quilt softens up in the wash.

Well peeps, time to go-hope you enjoyed a glimpse into my world. Please join us for more likes at:Lee Anna's Not Afraid of Color

have a great week and keep cool.
mary

6 comments:

  1. Oooh choc cake--yummy---I have windows 8.1 and i her they soon will not be supporting mine either--and I totally agree with you on that;000
    Very pretty quilt--hoping it will soften up for you...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! Oh my goodness, bronchitis is very serious and I can not even imagine having that in all of the heat. {{Hugs}} I find that a/c is not kind with bronchitis or breathing in general, but you can't survive without it either. Your Dits and Dots turned out just great. It look nice and scrappy and the backing is perfect. I'm sure it will soften up with a wash or two. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have your meds on hand and a good doctor for breathing problems. I sometimes have a hard time admitting I need to call the doctor, too, thinking "it" will get better on its own! That chocolate cake looks yummy - I'm going to have to try that! And I love your Dits and Dots quilt - it's so colorful and cheery. I've had that happen with some fabrics, too - why are some so stiff and don't feel good to work with? Happy Thursday, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is very pretty - I love the colors. Mmm... chocolate cake! Huzzah for good meds and good doctors. I agree with Windows 7 vs 10. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you sound like you are very on top of this bronchitis issue, Mary. And have a sympathetic understanding doctor as well. We have had lots of heat this week but low humidity which I can handle well.
    Microwave cake making is new to me. Sometimes I'm like you and want a piece of cake. This sounds like the perfect answer.
    My PC, an Acer 17 inch is 7 years old and is telling me I need a new battery. Recently I bought a new one and now I'm trying to get used to Windows 10. So it's not just that I'm old that it's not seeming that easy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The vanilla microwave cake looks like a candidate for raspberries :) I've needed to tune out of so much news also.

    ReplyDelete