Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Things i like Thursday Aug 30

Greetings!

Another weird, stressful week- adding sadness to it also.  I posted comments on the very sad passing of Senator John McCain the other day so will try to focus on the things that brought me joy this week instead:

1.  Holiday decos arrived at the AT HOME store in my neighborhood;
It's August and way too early for Christmas decorations but I have to say they did make me feel good anyway.  I vaguely remember cool weather.

I did however LOVE this sign:
For some reason I think this is funny.


2. My finished Patched and Squares quilt.
This was made with 4 x 8 strips  I made from scraps every few months cleaning out the stash buckets and just saved them.  Then I added  8 inch Bella Porcelain squares.  It is so cool in person. It measures 48 x 53.  The backing is made from leftover layer cakes in the stash from many projects made in the past:
Such a cool idea if I say so myself.   The bad news is --I washed it with Color Catchers as I usually do when I finish a quilt  and some colors ran! I quickly glanced at it when I removed it from the washer, didn't see the bleed and threw  it in the dryer.  I'm gonna try and remove the spots today to see if they might come out. Ugh! It was going to be a donation quilt but if I can't remove the spots, I'll keep it for the car or park. I used leftover Grunge Jelly Roll strips for the binding.  What a cool idea that was too.  I always use Jelly Roll strips for bindings but these were really colorful.

3. Some pulled Fat Quarters for a new "purple" quilt for my daughter's retiring friend:
I've only made one purple quilt before so this will be fun since it's the recipient's favorite color.  I like purple -- I don't understand why I don't have more in stash! I pulled 10 FQ's and made (12) 9 patches from 5 inch squares  that I'll make into a Disappearing 9 Patch pattern , but I'll need to find fabric for borders cause it's not enough fabric for a "throw" size. Hmm-fabric shopping? yes.


On that happy note, I'll close for today.  Please join us at Lee Anna's post: Not Afraid of Color for more "likes" posts.  It's fun and informative.

Have a great day!
mary😍


11 comments:

  1. Lovely quilt--sorry about the spotting--I always hesitate to wash my quilts--(I know I should, but still....) especially if my colors include a lot of white--I invariably get bleeding issues--even if I've pre-washed fabrics...good luck with removal..hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute quilt! I love a scrappy back. Use the stash has become my motto. Sorry you had some bleeding. I always use 2 or 3 Color Catchers and so far I have been lucky. I hope it comes out for you.

    I love Halloweird. That's funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I love your Patches and Squares quilt! What a good idea for those little leftover pieces! Oh no that it bled, though. Have you tried the Dawn Dishwashing soap soaking thing? Here's the link - https://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/save-my-bleeding-quilt.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bah for bleeding - I hope it comes out. Your quilt is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is beautiful. I have a collection of color catchers that I recycle and use in my Art Quilts. Hope the bleeding comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hand dyers use something to suspend the colors so they don't attach. Maybe...synthropol?
    I want that halloweird sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O Lee Anna- I thought of you when I saw that sign! LOL Diann at Little Penguins gave me a link to try another way to remove the spots with Dawn, so I'll try it. I can always use the quilt for picnics, etc. Happy Weekend. mary

      Delete
  7. Hi Mary! I'm sorry to say I can't even read the title of your last post without crying. It's not like I knew the man but geez. Anyway - love the Let's Get Hallowweird! And it is too early for Christmas trees, but they do make me smile too!! Your Patches quilt is so darn cute - I cannot believe the color ran. I rarely have that issue - now I'm going to jinx myself for sure. And the purple colors are so pretty - the retiree will just love it! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. That quilt with its deep colours against the white looks awesome and such a great use of scraps. I always worry about colours running. Hopefully you'll be able to spot clean it.
    Hard to believe the time is passing so quickly. Went to the school orientation for my 14 year old grandson; 326 in his grade 9 class in a school of 2000- they all looked so scared but got through it. Oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry your quilt bled! I have had so many problems with that over the years.... I hope you are able to get the bleeding out! I do love the way it turned out, all those scrappy strips look so great on the clean white background. I too am desperate for fall (and love halloweird). It'll probably come here a bit before you guys, but it still seems like such a long way of hot left....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice likes but so sorry that your quilt bled! I know there are a lot of solutions out in the web and hope it will come out! Christmas decorations? NO NO NO! But Halloweird is pretty cool, I must say :) Have a good week! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete