Thursday, August 9, 2018

Things I like Thursdays Aug 9

Greetings!

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer and keeping cool.  We are trying- but 110 degrees almost everyday is getting old fast. I was reading recently that record high temperatures are affecting Europe and Siberia. The earth is heating up everywhere.  Speaking of heat, I cannot believe the enormity of the fires in California. It's such a beautiful state and I hope they get some rain and less wind soon to help stop those devastating fires.  God bless and protect those over 14,000 firefighters!

It's been a busy week here catching up on household chores and meeting my grandson after school each day Mon-Wed now.  His dad had to change to part- time to meet him after school on Thursdays and Fridays .  Thomas loves being on a real school bus after school (even though it is a special-needs  bus- it is huge and loud which he loves).  It is so cute to watch this experience for him. In the past 8 years Thomas was picked up in a van after school and taken to United Cerebal Palsy for the rest of the day till dad got off work and took him home but that program was cancelled this summer.  We all scrambled to come up with a plan to care for him in this new school year.  It's a shame there aren't good day- care programs for these kids after school. I can't imagine how this is affecting other families.

So, on that note- here are my "likes" for this week:

1. Caring for Thomas after school. I am so grateful to be in a position-physically and mentally to take care of him at his home after school.  This way he can also receive his physical and speech therapies at the home. It's only 3 hours a day three days a week which is easily done.  I can still get my chores and appointments done while having plenty of time to sew!!

2. My new Batik 4 Square quilt top.
I cannot believe I found all these Batik fat quarters in a bag in a drawer.  They were left over from an artist project on canvas from earlier in the year. I got tired of the project and just stuck them all in a drawer.  Unbelievable. It was such a find.  I was able to cut (39) 8 1/2 inch squares and (15) 4 -squares made from 4 1/2 " squares to make a 49 x 57 top.  However, I just realized this might also make a good backing for another quilt I just started.  Here is the finished "top":
The colors are stunning in person. This was so easy to pull together in 2 afternoons.  It did take me awhile to figure out the math of a four-square block vs one square block. But it worked using four  4 1/2 " squares to make the four square block  and one 8 1/2" block for the other. I will definitely make this top again.

Speaking of which, I need to run and work on a quilt I'm making for one of my doctors that I hope to share with you next week. I have less than a week to get that done!

 Please join us at Lee Anna's post:Not Afraid of Color for more "likes". It is such fun to see everyone's positive posts.

Have a great day!
mary 😊



7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're able to help with your grandson after school, too - I know your family really appreciates that! Your batik squares quilt is beautiful! I do love the color and interesting prints that batiks give you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun that you found all those batik squares! I love unexpected things like that. For me I always got excited when I found 5$ in my ski coat at the beginning of the new season. Unfortunately, that was rare, and it was usually a melted jolly rancher in the pocket instead...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so great for you that you can have this time with your Grandchild. I babysat one day a week last school year for two grandkids. I like when you find surprise fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary! {{Hugs}} I love your #1 like - I am so thrilled you are able to help with Thomas, too. It sounds like a win/win/win. Your batik top is gorgeous, and I can only imagine it in person. Happy Thursday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary, hope you are feeling well despite the heat, and that Fall is not too far away. Your batiks are sure pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Batiks are always so pretty. I like your quilt. I'll be so glad when summer is over. We don't have nearly the high temps as you do, but I'm tired of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you are getting to help Thomas and the family in such a positive way. I look at my sitting time exactly the same way...a bit of a duty to help out and so thankful I have the good health and wits to be able to. And in the scheme of things, not so much anyway. And I know your family, like mine, is so grateful.
    So aren't batiks so beautiful. I've only used them once in a project but admire them so much. You have a great top there.
    We are back to more seasonal temps for the weekend and it is lovely outside...sunny and warm; I will definitely be sitting outside this afternoon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete