Thursday, March 2, 2017

THINGS I LIKE THURSDAY MAR 2

Greetings!

Here are my like things for today:

1. Retirement.  I apologize to those that are not able to retire yet. I remember your pain. I retired from 50 years of working last summer. Truth be told, I wanted more time to enjoy life not just walk through it. I felt  like a hamster in a wheel. Plus, it was time to let a younger person take on the responsibility of that position after my 19 years there.  That's a freakin long time, people.  sorry.
I love not setting the alarm!!!!! I can take my time in the morning. I'm a morning person so this is such a treat to start my day slowly.  My joints are thanking me and behaving so far.  Don't get me wrong- I miss money and I am constantly weighing pros and cons of any purchase.  My brother and I live a very simple life which helps control the budget.  The freedom I feel not answering to a boss is PRICELESS. If you can swing it at all, do it.

2. Volunteer for Friendship program at my grandson's public elementary school.  Students with and without special needs are paired up for fun activities throughout the school year. 5th-8th grade volunteer students who demonstrate leadership skills with good grades are recommended by teachers to the volunteer program. The kids are Best Friends Forever. For my grandson who is a special needs student, his friend Charlie provides a friendship that is so sweet to watch. Charlie has learned and watched my grandson grow and progress in school in areas Charlie would not otherwise been aware of.  Win Win for everyone.

3. Old Lady's day at Joann's. Ok, that's so inappropriate a title, but that's how I think of it.  It';s not every first Wednesday of the month, but this year we have had 3! Check your local Joann's a few days before.


What great marketing!
Please hook up with Lee Ann for more likes: lapaylor.blogspot.com.....they are such fun.
Enjoy your day.
mary


5 comments:

  1. I like getting coupons for Joanns in the mail. It seems to help justify any purchase and sometimes I get things I don't really need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the daily appreciation of retirement. I admit I do a lot of non productive activities now that I have the abundance of free time if not money. It's a trade off but my spirit needed the time more than the money.
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love retirement, too! Not setting an alarm is the best gift. When people ask me what I like about it, I always say, " I get ti do whatever I want, whenever I want!" The program at your grandson's school sounds wonderful. When I was teaching 5th graders, the kids could earn the opportunity to go read with a younger student, and they loved that! Thanks for telling us about the JoAnn's deal! I didn't know about it, but will watch and see if it happens at our JoAnn's here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, retirement is great. I mostly do whatever I want, whenever I want. And the best part is after a snowstorm, I don't have to go anywhere, just stay home and quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the thought of being retired! Good for you to be able to swing it after so many years of hard work. Definitely enjoy it! Thanks also for commenting on my medallion quilt post- it was great to get input on the color choices for the binding from lots of different people. I tried to reply by e-mail, but your blogger settings are set to list you as a no-reply blogger, so I can't email back. Some people like that setting, but a lot of times people don't realize they have it set that way, so I just thought I'd mention it. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete