Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Things I Like Thursdays Aug 27


 Greetings!

  • This is supposed to be a post about things I like, but I need to share with you this little thing first:


We don’t have enough smoke from our own fires or California, so a high pressure system is pulling smoke from the Colorado and New Mexico fires into Az.  So, with no measurable rain in months, and 115 degree temps we have really dirty skies for almost a month now.  If we didn’t have Covid, I still can’t go outside.  This is crazy stuff.  I pray for the thousands of people affected by these fires!  I can’t imagine losing your home and loved ones in this devastating manner. 

As well, I am praying for everyone in the path of Hurricane Laura.  As I write this it is listed as a very dangerous category 4 to land between Texas and Louisiana.  I was living in Houston in 1983 when Hurricane Alicia arrived and it was pretty scary. 

Back to our original purpose of focusing on “likes”  with Lee Anna at “ Not Afraid of Color” which keeps us sane!

1. Amazon Prime. ( Ok- Amazon period.  I’m still keeping Amazon in business since I can’t go shopping outdoors).

   Since there’s nothing to watch on cable tv, I’ve taken to finding good movies or series on Prime that are free.  Recently, I enjoyed “Radioactive” starring Rosamund Pike.  This is the story of Marie Curie who won 2 Nobel prizes in Chemistry in a man’s world while raising 2 daughters. Excellent. 

Note- her daughter received a Nobel prize also many years later.  Just sayin.

We also watched a series called “White Dragon”, a story of a British man who receives a call that his wife has died while working in Hong Kong. He travels to Hong Kong but makes a shocking discovery of her secret life while there.  It was an 8 episode series which we binge watched.

2. My books this month

The Other Einstein. This was so good , I read it in 2 nights!  This is a fictional account of Einstein’s first wife, Mileva.  But, there are many accounts of her that portray a similar telling of her genius mind in a scientific world dominated by men. I really enjoyed this book. Someone in our “likes”group recommended this book and I’m grateful.

here’s another:




This is number 2 in the mystery series based in Leavenworth, WA. Sloan Krause is an amateur sleuth. It’s a light and cozy read.

3.  freezing rice.  Cooked that is

I just cook up a batch with chicken broth in my Rice Cooker, then freeze individual servings for later. I love a bowl of leftover rice with a soft fried egg on top for breakfast.  It only takes a minute or 2 to defrost the rice in the microwave.

My daughter has requested some table toppers so I will be quilting again for the first time in quite awhile.  I  spent a long time with her just pulling fabrics! I’ll update you later. 


Thanks for stopping by.  
Stay safe and take care.
Mary




12 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! Does it not seem like Armageddon is upon us or approaching? I am sorry that you can't go outside when COVID and 115 degrees aren't enough but then throw in some smoke from Colorado and NM. Geez! Great idea about freezing rice - I never thought about it but it sure would be handy to make a big batch. I can't wait to see what you've pulled for table toppers! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. All that smoke! The Other Einstein looks interesting - I may have to bookmark that. Frozen rice! It's really handy to have on hand sometimes. Have fun with the table toppers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The smoke is horrible, and I'm sorry it's making life even more difficult for you, Mary. I'm also very thankful for TV streaming services these days. The show you mention about Marie Curie sounds like a good one! Thanks for the book recommendations, too. Enjoy some sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Prime recommendations. We are needing another series to watch. And the freezing rice tip! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for all the smoke! This is just the terrible year that keeps on terrible-ing. I haven't ever frozen plain rice, but I pretty much live on frozen rice or bean based casseroles. I typically make them on the weekend and then put a bunch of aliquots in the freezer to eat for lunch every day. Hang in there! I'll be praying for you guys and the air and everyone affected by this mess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are always wondering if Amazon prime is worth it. I need to go look at it closer. We shop on Amazon all the time and love it. I hate the smoke and hope the fires are out soon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry all of you are suffering from the smoke. Isn't it amazing, Oregon, California, Colorado, Arizona and many other states burning....sometimes I wonder if when it is very windy I get a whiff of the smoke here in Michigan as it travels. Yep I am a prime girl too. I get things I can't get at my store or locally. I will have to check out your book recommendations. Stay cool and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read the first beer book by E.A. she's so fun. Gotta check out the shows. I saw a wonderful tv series on Einstein somewhere, and it talked all about the courtship and relationship of his first wife. Sorry about those fires... we can't keep all that smoky goodness to ourselves apparently. I have chronic issues now from that smoke... take care and avoid it. They say only snow will put them out... pray for an early snow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've have been thinking about you, Mary and that awful heat. Now smoke on top of it. Heat, fires, hurricanes, drought, I think Mother Nature is very mad at us and no one seems to care. I hope you enjoy getting back to a little quilting. It will be great to use up some of that stash fabric. We are currently getting some much needed rain.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it seems bad news is plaguing this year weather wise now to add to the stress. We had a tornado warning last week which is highly unusual; nothing happened thankfully.
    I honestly didn't know you could freeze rice. What a great idea!
    I have noted those two shows for us to check out.
    Have a great weekend, Mary, and hope the air clears so you can go out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stay safe and we are thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Mary, I like your likes particularly your book "The Other Einstein". I read it with my book club just this year. It is a good and educational one.

    ReplyDelete