Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Things I Like Thursdays Aug 13

 Greetings!

Are you as tired of summer ( insert Pandemic, heat, political commercials, etc)  as I am?.....ok, we’ll focus on likable stuff.  Here’ s my list of likes for this week:

1.  Making my own sweet relish.  Ok, maybe some of you have done this before but I am over the moon on this.  I had no idea yellow #5 food dye was in the relish I had been buying for many years. I’m allergic to yellow #5-it’s actually a poison and banned in Europe.  But not here!   I tried to buy any brand without it included but they all had it.  Surprise!  What’s a girl to do? Make my own:

I was only able to buy Persian cucumbers (huh?). They are about 5 inches long and almost seedless.  Anyway, I peeled and chopped them , salted and drained them for 3 hours.  Then I squeezed them in a towel to remove excess moisture. That was the key. I cooked them with sugar and celery seed and a touch of spices.

Voila! Maybe got 1/2 cup of really good all natural relish.


2.  Apple+ on my IPad.  I should have checked both of my TVs to see if they are compatible before purchasing it. They are not.  Oh well. I’m not going to purchase stuff to make them compatible as I’ll only use it occasionally.  I’m enjoying “The Morning Show” on Apple+.  It’s a dark show about a network morning news show  and all the goings -on behind the scenes.  It stars Jennifer Aniston and Steve Carrell.  Sure gets my mind off of real stuff happening around us.kinda like a soap opera but more serious covering current events.

3.  “Modern Love” on Amazon Prime.  It’s a different “love” story each episode that was sent into the New York Times column. There are all kinds of complicated love stories. It’s interesting and mostly upbeat.

4. My Sunset on Water painting. 

This was fun. I’m glad I purchased this watercolor journal as it holds the water much better than my last journal.


5.  My son built a wood enclosure for his pool equipment and then purchased a webbing polyester type material for the top.  He then needed it hemmed.  I wasn’t sure my Janome 6600 could handle it but it did beautifully.




That Janome machine is one of the best investments I’ve made.  It cost a fortune 8 years ago but it has been a workhorse over the years.  And , my son thinks I can do anything. Lol  The covers (one plus a spare) were about 6’x6’. 

6.  KAMALA HARRIS  picked for Vice President running mate for Joe Biden. Enough said.

Hope y’all  are having a good week and I’ll see you over at LeeAnna’s site for more likes.

👵

Stay Safe

Mary

13 comments:

  1. You’ll “relish” your homemade relish, that’s a lot of work for a little bit of heaven! Isn’t it the truth,our family thinks we can sew anything! Weird fabric no exception. I made a cover for a motorcycle trailer years ago. It had a curved top, extended fender covers and a drawstring bottom. Not pretty, but serviceable. And hubby was pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your homemade relish sounds delicious, Mary! I've never thought to make my own, but I might try that. That's a beautiful painting you did, too! And definitely, thumbs up on Kamala Harris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. home made relish!!! what a good thing to make... double the recipe and I bet it lasts a long time in the fridge. Less ingredients... healthier for us. I like the paint journal. Yes to Kamala Harris! She knows the law, maybe we'll have law abiding people in leadership again... thanks for #2 and #3. I heard about the morning show but haven't looked for it yet. I need some shows to watch.
    Leeanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mary. I love the Sunset water color painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary! YES - I am over it. Pick your own event for it or all of them. HAHA! Seriously? I never knew that there was yellow food dye in relish. Wow. I don't eat sweet relish, usually, but I really need to read the ingredient label. You are inspiring me today! Agreed on the Harris choice and heck yeah on the Janome. I love all your likes this week. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool you make your own relish. I like your watercolor. Yay for a good solid sewing machine. Such a wonderful thing to have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, you should try to make zucchini relish. It tastes just like cucumber sweet relish, but if you use a war club zucchini, it will make a lot. I used to make it every year when I had a beg garden. I'm sure there are lots of recipes online. Very nice watercolor. Sometimes it pays to use quality supplies. Nice that you could help out your son with his project. Keep cool and don't watch the news. It's too stressful. Vote blue.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you to make your own pickle relish. I just made 2 loaves of zucchini bread last night. Yum to both! Your watercolor is beautiful. So peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That relish sounds yummy. I used to make both cucumber and zucchini relish. Since I am the only one that eats relish now it’s not worth the work. I don’t buy the store stuff either! I do like that watercolour and I’m sure your son enjoys having a Mm who can do anything 😉 Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your relish sounds goo. So many great likes, love the cover for the pool tools you made.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would never have thought of making relish and had no idea it had dyes in it. Oh my, how awful. That was wonderful to be able to sew that top on your machine. Yes you can do anything in that case! I'm going to put Modern Love on my list to check out. Your watercolour is lovely and I'm happy to see you keep up the painting, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never made relish, but I love making refrigerator pickles with vinegar and sugar and pickles and onions. So tasty and yummy. And I love my Janome too!! Really a great machine. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kamala,for sure! You've got me sold on making my own relish. The steps sound easy-peasy, thank you!

    ReplyDelete