Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Things I like Thursdays Aug 20

 Greetings

Happy August!  Not here-we are past 40 days this summer of 110 degrees and many over 115.  The mailbox is so hot the junk mail is hot and sticky. Unbelievable. Thank God for air conditioning.

But, I do have some “likes” for this week:


1.  The DNC convention.  It’s so nice to watch intelligent speakers and professionals give me hope in the future.  I prefer the roll call from each individual state rather than the old chaotic convention center.

2.  My new air fryer.  My son showed up one day with this gift:


It’s pretty easy to use but takes up half of the counter and weighs a lot.  I tried zucchini but need to keep tweaking the time and temp to get it to come out the way I like them.

Then I tried frozen onion rings:

I followed the instructions but used half the recommended time and they still came out burnt! So, I guess I need to keep trying. My son has been using his fryer with great results and wanted me to have a good experience as well.  He even cooked beautiful Cornish hens in 20 minutes!

3.  My new Visco soft mattress topper.  My orthopedic mattress is only 5 years old and was a disappointment from the second week. It’s already caved in the middle.   I shopped around a lot and luckily settled on this 3 inch foam topper. My bed is cooler and supportive. It’s been about a month so it’s good.

4.  RECLAIM HER NAME.  Republishing books by women that were originally published under a man’s name in order to get them published!   I am currently reading “Middlemarch” by George Eliot but really by Mary Ann Evans. It’s not a book I would have chosen but is listed as one of the Best British novels.  It was written in 1871.  I would describe it as proper English prose of the time period and about the Puritan life.

You can read more of the project at womensprizeforfiction.co.uk.


5. My new Solid as a Rock painting.

Thanks to CEECEE CREATIONS for the tutorial. I had a lot of fun playing with this. 

Whimsical but solid, dude.


And so we come to the end of this week’s  fun.  I hope you’ll join us at LeeAnna’s site at lapaylor.blogspot.com for more “likes”.

Stay safe.

Mary



8 comments:

  1. good painting! The air fryer might take some figuring out but the food looks good. Even here in the oven, some things cook at the right temp and time on the bag, some get burnt. Yes to the DNC and I can only hope our country can return to law and order but we might have to actually go to the polls since the post office might "lose" votes... oy vey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can get the air fryer figured out - I bet there are lots of online tips to help you! I haven't been watching the convention, but love reading about it. I miss the Obamas - they are so amazing, and I'm sad and angry that this mess has taken their place. Beautiful painting, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary, I had to study Middlemarch in school about Grade 10 I think. I didn't care for it at the time but liked it better than Bleak House which we also studied. I wonder would I like to read it better now.
    I use my air fryer about once a week. I especially like it for chicken wings and fries.Yes, you do have to experiment a bit with the timing of things. But it's great not to have to use an oven.
    Enjoyed all your other likes as well, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the painting...solid as a rock! And I would like to try one of those air fryers. The onion rings REALLY look good! I like them brown and crunchy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have an air fryer (or an Instapot), but I know people who do and love it. Probably takes some experimentation to find what works for you. This last heat wave must be unbearable for you. Glad your AC keeps chugging along. We've had a few days of 70s and low humidity and, oh boy, what a difference. Bad mattresses can ruin your life. Hope you new addition helps.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep playing you will get to a happy spot with your air fryer. I love mine when I use it. Great painting

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be interested in your further adventures with your air fryer. I've had good experience with mattress toppers. Glad yours is helping you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been wanting to try out an air fryer. I loved fried foods and understand that they are much healthier!

    I took particular interest in your RECLAIM HER NAME paragraph. I bet there are so many of those uncredited women out there! Have you read "The Other Einstein" by Marie Benedict? Her research alludes to the real possibility that Einstein's first wife was the scientist who actually developed his theory of relativity. It is a convincing novel that will make you not like him very much.

    ReplyDelete