Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Things I like Thursdays Sep 3

 Greetings!

We had a little bit of rain in my neighborhood but we’re still at 112-115 each day. 

I hope the rain comes back soon since we’ve had the hottest summer on record already.


Here is a list of my likes for this week:

1. LeeAnna’s post on Choices  on Tuesday. Plus, her post on Monday about a list of things I want to do instead of what needs to be done.  On the Choices post, I had to come to grips with how rote  my life is so I think I would like to make a more concerted effort to “change” things up.  Thanks Lee Anna.

2. Not feeling guilty about “dropping” a book. Some history: we did not have books in our house growing up. So when I entered the library at school or the public library in our city, I was like a kid in the candy store. I couldn’t believe I could borrow a book. I checked out as many books that were allowed every week. Even as an adult, when I first entered Barnes and Noble I stayed for hours and had difficulty keeping to a budget. I’m still in awe of authors.

This past week , I started reading 2 different books and just did not enjoy them.  I returned them to the library. I used to feel guilty returning an unread book. Now, it’s ok. Not everyone thinks or reads as I do, so that’s acceptable.  Sometimes, I search for a book recommended by a famous person or book clubs, maybe recommended by a librarian or even a friend.  Other times, the title or cover of a book intrigues me.  

If I really enjoy a book, I’ll stay up reading into the wee hours because I can’t put it down.  I usually read at bedtime because it’s the only “quiet “ time. My brother has the tv on ALL DAY LONG and I need quiet to read, which means I wait till bedtime. 

3. My current read:


I’m enjoying this mystery  of 3 senior men returning to the beach of their youth.

4.  My new shirt




I haven’t felt well this week so I had to stay home on oxygen. I haven’t been able to wear this shirt and show it off. Hopefully , the humidity will clear away and I’ll feel well enough to go out.  I love this statement.  I don’t own many shirts with words on them, but I just couldn’t resist purchasing this one on Amazon.

5. The start of a table topper for my daughter:


It’s for a 5 foot long dresser. Tina does not like a lot of color and prefers quiet designs so it’s a challenge to come up with patterns and colors that blend in with the quilt and headboard I already made for her. Especially, since I downgraded my stash to a minimal amount. Challenging but fun. Only 3 more toppers to go for other pieces of furniture in the room.

6. “Tennison” on Amazon Prime.  A 1970’s  era British police woman in her rookie year- series.  (I keep watching stories about women and the glass ceiling, regardless of the time period.  What is that all about?  Hmm.). Anyway, the lead character is feminine but strong in a quiet way.  And, the background music is GREAT. Petula Clark, The Doors, Stones, Beatles.....And, everyone smokes. Wow.  I started smoking when I was 25 (1973) thinking it was sophisticated too.  Oh well.

7. “Music From Another Room”.  A movie starring Jude Law ( a very young one).  A 5 year old boy accidentally helps the delivery of a baby at home but leaves for Europe with his military dad the next day. 25 years later he returns and accidentally runs into the same family. Of course, he wants to marry the same girl he met at birth. Quirky characters, fun years, heartbreaking and fulfilling story at the same time. I think this movie was made in the 90’s.  This is still on Amazon Prime.


8.  “The Paradise” on Prime.  A series following a young Victorian woman going to work in a department store named The Paradise.  If for no other reason than the costumes, I love this stuff. Fluff, but intrigue as well.

Thankfully, there were more “likes” this week but I probably won’t remember them until I hit “publish”.

LOL

Have a great day, stay safe, and join us at Lee Anna’s blog, Not Afraid of Color for more fun.

Mary


9 comments:

  1. OMG love the shirt. I think the I Like group has a lot of Nasty women. LOL The table runner is lovely, isn't it hard to make things for people who don't love color? I am kind of with you about life becoming rote. Sometimes it is hard to see the end of all of what is going on right now. I am a wee bit younger than you, but I am right there with you about books. Maybe it is because I was raised by my great grandmother (born 1896) that books were to be cherished. I too lately have had some recommended books which were just not right for my taste. One I actually got almost 3/4 through and it turned. Have a fabulous week, hopefully you cool down soon. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m with you and Siouxzq about the shirt, and the books. I wonder if I am brave enough to wear the shirt? I also understand about needing quiet to read. My DH has the TV on all the time too. He suffers from tinnitus, so the ambient noises help. I have used earbuds in the past . It helps a bit. I have friends and family in AZ. Hope you all get some relief weather wise , soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary! Your tablerunner is coming along nicely. I am certain she will like the fabrics you've chosen very much. Those tones are my favorite although I'm a fan of color, too. Books! I agree - they rock and I cannot imagine my life without them. It's okay to give up on a book - no one will know. We always have the TV on for background noise but I'm able to read right through it. Maybe some ear plugs not inserted all the way would help you to filter that noise out? I would have to stay up until all hours if I could only read at bedtime! {{Hugs}} Love the shirt, too. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you haven't felt the best this week,Mary and I do hope that humidity dies down. Yesterday our humidity was quite high and I'd forgotten what it's like to work outside in it. Not nice.
    Lovely tablerunner you are making for daughter.
    I'm so glad you have books for a hobby. I'm enjoying the audibles more and more it seems. Have a good weekend now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that shirt, Mary! Hope it begins to cool down for you soon. We enjoyed "The Paradise", too! I also have decided never to worry about abandoning a book - there are so many good ones to read! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that shirt. Hope you're feeling better. Nice neutrals for that table topper. Tennison and The Paradise were good. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, love the shirt, but would be afraid to wear it in public around here. While NY is a blue state, out rural areas are very much GOP and gun toters to boot. I used to feel compelled to finish any book I started, but then, like Diann, I decided there are too many good ones to waste time on one you don't enjoy, even award winning ones. You're making good progress on your daughter's table runner. I actually did some sewing yesterday when a quilt friend invited me over for a sew day. Enjoy the holiday weekend, even though it won't be different than any other weekend. Sigh.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your t-shirt! The tabletopper is looking fabulous! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Nasty Woman t-shirt!!! So awesome. Guilt, in my opinion, is dwelling on the past just like Stress is dwelling on the future. Stay in the present - that is where the Joy lives. Enjoy your week and Stay Safe.

    ReplyDelete