Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Things I Like Thursdays Feb 27

Greetings!

Thanks to Lee Anna for encouraging us to appreciate the good side of our days by posting our “likes” each week.   So, here are mine:

1.  This fork included with my salad from the Safeway deli. (Ignore my wrinkly old lady fingers, please).

It was about 4 inches long.  Hysterical. Needless to say I grabbed a regular fork when I got home.

2.  Quilt Con.  I like to spend time browsing through others’ hard work!  If you need some inspiration check it out in Austin Tx:QUILT CON.  It’s a quilt gathering of vendors, designers, etc. for modern quilters.

3. Fresh Flowers.  I love flowers and miss having a  garden but this old body doesn’t cooperate for all that work.





Carnations are my favorite and usually the pink ones.  These mini red carnations spoke to me to come home from Safeway-$6 for a big bunch.  I love smelling them and seeing them in my kitchen.

4.  Sewing again.  My daughter needed a quilt for the top of her bed in our “cold” winters (It’s all relative-haha).  She gets cold easily and has been using several of Thomas’ quilts I made him on top of all the other bedding she uses.  I was surprised.  So, I agreed to make one more large (for me) quilt.
I’m calling it The Manor.  It took up most of the couch!


The colors are very muted which is what she wanted-tan, cream, lavender and blue with a light gray border.. The border grays are from Kona(Ash Gray). The top is 60 x 70.


Here is a closeup of one of the printed blocks.  The layer cakes were from Quilter’s Garden Patty Cakes by RJR Fabrics. 


Luckily I had a backing in the stash - a pale gray with little flowers Petite Veranda light Grey.  I have no idea where I got it.
This was quickly sewn together for the top but life got in the way till I could find time to sandwich it.


Here it is being sandwiched on my small kitchen table with 100 pins.  I hope to quilt in the ditch or tie it this week. It felt good to sew but doing the sandwich was a killer on my back.  I need an assistant. Haha haha

Hope you enjoyed a peek into my world! Have a great day.
Mary

7 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! I'm surprised your daughter didn't already have several quilts from you, but it's nice to be able to step up and fill a cold need, isn't it?! I get cold easily as well and am thankful for a nice warm quilt to snuggle under. Those carnations look just fabulous on your table! Makes me want to run out and get a bunch to enjoy myself. They were my mom's favorite flower - I've tried to grow them unsuccessfully several times. That little itty bitty fork - what's the point?!! Happy Thursday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the carnations. And that tiny fork. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tiny fork is a hoot! Lots of things are being made smaller these days, unfortunately. I love your red carnations! They do smell good. I love your quilt for your daughter - the text fabric is so perfect for her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tiny fork made me laugh. Gorgeous carnations. The quilt is fabulous, and boy do I understand about basting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mary, I thought that was my hand! And that is a doll's fork unless your hand is giant sized. Carnations are my favourite too...miniature whites in my case. Your daughter is going to love that quilt...perfectly serene colours. And like you, my back aches with this quilting business. 100 pins are a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That fork doesn't look up to the task! What a pretty quilt for your daughter; I'm sure she will enjoy snuggling under it. The basting process of quilting can definitely be a back breaker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmm, I'm imagining the fragrance of the carnation. I love their fresh smell. I don't see them in gardens much these days. Maybe it's time for me to plant some.

    ReplyDelete