Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Things I like Thursdays Feb 20


Greetings!

We are almost back to normal temps -80’s but a cold front is moving in this weekend.  I’m sure the “snowbirds” are confused with this year’s weather but I suppose it’s still warmer than other climates. Due to the cooler winter than normal, we are overcome with weeds!  I try to keep them less than quarter size so they can’t be seen by the HOA police. I’ve weeded 6 times this month.  That’s never happened in the 5 years we’ve been here.  And it’s not even Spring yet.  I also had to spend a day trimming the big artificial orange tree in the backyard. Those oranges are not edible but birds pick at them and so they fall to the ground.  It’s a mess. Anyway, that tree is trimmed and mostly free of the oranges.
Why would you plant an “artificial” tree?  Crazy.

I am needing less oxygen than 2 months ago so we are on a good path to healing.  Thank God.  It was quite the picture of me trimming the tree while carrying oxygen on my shoulder. Ugh.  I’ll be glad when I no longer need it.

Regardless, I have a few likes to share with you today:

1.  Bluebirds in Love?


I love this painting in my doctor’s office  but I am curious as to it’s meaning. Why does one bird hold a lock and the keys are below them?

2.  Vera Wang’s perfume-Princess.



It is such a pretty container.  The name is kinda silly but the scent is so soft and lovely.  Of course, there is a story. I was waiting to have blood drawn at the lab and an older woman came with her walker and sat down next to me to wait her turn.  Her scent was so cool!!  I waited awhile and finally asked her what perfume she was wearing.  She was surprised but happy I asked.  When I was done at the lab, I went to Walgreens, checked it out against several others and I bought the same fragrance as that woman.  What a great advertisement for others. Here’s the list of ingredients (not counting alcohol,etc) apple,mandarin,apricot, Tahitian tiare flower, chocolate, vanilla, amber and musk.  If I’d known that, I probably would have bought it anyway.  LOL. I haven’t bought perfume in many years so this was an extravagance.  But, I’m worth it. I love smelling it everyday.

3.  Phoenix Suns pillow for Thomas.





  Due to his cerebral palsy, his legs don’t stretch out completely and so he needs a wedge between his knees when he sleeps but if you’ve ever seen the wedge it’s awful. So, I made a pillow cover for a 15 inch soft pillow instead.  He loves it and it’s his favorite team.


4.  Blue Dresden pillow cover for my daughter.




This was a left over block ( 15 inches) from quilt I made for her headboard 5 years ago or so. I found it in a bag and decided to spend a day putting it together.  It turned out so pretty.   it’s been good to get back to sewing this week.  Next on the que is a quilt for her bed.  Something easy and simple. I have so many layer cakes that need to be used so maybe I’ll spend the day going thru stash. 


It’s been a good week for me (not counting any news on the tv) so I’m glad to share these with you.  Hope you all are enjoying it too.

Join.us at Lee Anna’s site: Not Afraid of Color for more.

Take care.
Mary





8 comments:

  1. I love a pretty scent. Catching a whiff throughout the day. Here, I am enjoying scented lotions too. The painting is so pretty, and I'm looking at how they did the background... nice blending job! Artificial orange... why not a real one? Then you'd have citrus to eat at least! It's 10F here this morning, just north of you. Oy vey! So icy too with yesterdays 2" of fresh snow, Milo needed his boots. He will be happy not to have to wear those.
    Are you meeting up with Diann from Little penguins?
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun that you found the scent you liked so much! Glad your breathing is so much better, too. I love your pillow cover idea for Thomas! He might as well have a fun pillow to sleep with - I would like that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary! I was going to ask why is there even an artificial orange tree? Umm, that makes no sense. If it's artificial then it shouldn't need trimming or have oranges that the birds want! The bluebird picture is rather confusing. Hmm?? Aww, new perfume for you. It sounds wonderful. I haven't worn anything for ages - I will smell it next time I'm in Walgreens and think of you. Who knows, maybe I'll buy some too!! LOVE the Sun pillowcase and the Dresden pillow. How thoughtful you are, Mary. {{Hugs}} Happy Thursday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bluebirds are cool. I can see why you like them. Fun perfume bottle. Love that dresden pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for less oxygen. The bluebirds are very pretty. My one girly thing, perfume. I wear it every day, and I only wear one fragrance, Samsara. Great pillow cover for Thomas an the Dresden is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy your breathing is improving. You have been diligent with the garden. The weather has been stranger than usual everywhere I think. I never bothered with perfume but like you, smelled one I loved and went and bought it. One of my friends needs a wedge pillow at night too to help his arthritis. Such great stitching projects, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ingredients in the perfume do sound good. I have yet to find a scent that smells good on me as it does in the bottle or on others, and doesn't stuff up my nose. hahah. The Dresden pillow cover is gorgeous.
    The lock is heart-shaped so maybe the bird is holding it up for the other one to unlock. Maybe the bird is saying "My love is yours forever and a day." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great to be less dependent on oxygen. Weeding is never a favorite chore of mine. You've been doing it a lot! That perfume bottle is so pretty! The pillow covers and Dresden are both very well made. They look great!

    ReplyDelete