Wednesday, October 30, 2019

I like Thursdays Oct 31

Greetings!



Hope ya'll are having a great day. This is the first year I won't see my pumpkin for Halloween so I'm a little sad.  I'm uncomfortable driving thru the big city at night and especially this night cause kids run out on the main streets constantly.So, I'm staying home.

Here is a list of my likes for this week:


1.  MY BROTHER IS CANCER FREE!!! We were actually surprised on the Tuesday follow up visit to the urologist.  The prostate was removed as well as the outlying lymph nodes 2.5 weeks ago. Of course, samples were sent to the pathologist .  The cancer had grown in the prostate (as the surgeon had suspected) but had not gone to the lymph nodes so he is cancer free after having it 1.5 years.  No radiation necessary which really relieved me as I had dreaded taking him every day for 45 days straight with his other disabilities. He is dealing with the after- affects of the surgery and will be for about 2 months- but we are so glad and blessed.

2.  Boho DIY decoupage  pumpkins on You Tube.  I tried to get a photo but  couldn't accomplish that.  Here's the you tube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rft9OWEnPH4&t=28s
Trust me- they are really pretty.  I will try to make one for next year.  Mark Montano is the artist.

3. Aurifil thread.  That's a no-brainer for me but I thought I would share with you a little incident while I was sewing the second valance for my daughter.

Here is the amount of sewing I had left till I was all done:


Maybe 3 inches.
Then this happened:



The spool jumped off the thread peg and into the first thread holder- scared the daylights out of me.
So, then I had to get out a new spool.  I was having  difficulty removing the wrapper on the new spool and so I got the scissors out to cut it off.  However, I accidentally snipped the thread:

I was sick.  At $12 a spool, this is not good (sometimes I can get them on sale for $9 online).
I installed it on the sewing machine anyway, finished the 3 inches and just waited till I reached the tear.  It was only a few rotations! I was shocked and happy.

4.  Cracker Barrel lunch and shopping.  They have the cutest gift shop. I only remembered to take one photo:


This little guy goes up and down the ladder!  The ladder is attached to the tree at top and bottom which is unsightly but he is adorable climbing one boot at a time. The ladder is about 6 foot.
Cracker Barrel has good lines of clothing at reasonable prices. Of course, they also carry old fashioned toys and candy. Lots of neat things in a small space.

5. An Arizona Snowman. 


My daughter is probably going to make this.  It was on Facebook.

6. Washington Nationals.  Winner of the World Series- nicely done.




Have a great week!

Join us at lee Anna's site: Not Afraid of Color  for more "likes"
mary










7 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! I'm so glad to hear about your brother. Phew! What a relief. And what a cute melted snowman. I was just shopping after eating at Cracker Barrel. They have a great selection of items you don't see in other places, I think! I'm glad you were able to finish the valance and that you didn't end up wasting too much thread after that fiasco. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for a cancer free diagnosis! I had an orange variegated thread from Aurifil which I could not locate the end. Most of the time you pop off the bottom and there it is. I just made a huge mess trying to find it and finally threw it in the trash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear your brother's good news! I hope your kids will send you a picture of Thomas in his costume - maybe even Facetime or Skype with you. I bet he loves Halloween! Glad your thread issue turned out okay - that can be frustrating. Love the Arizona snowman! So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just opened a wool aurifil and could not find the end. I looked for a long time. Then just put my scissors in and snipped! That got me three longish pieces to use to repair a wool sweater, and finally the end showed up. Yea at your good news, so relieved for you all. I miss cracker barrel as there is none near here... wah1 they have the cutest stuff and good food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what wonderful news about your brother. LOL - I like that snowman! What a bummer to have snipped your thread! Hopefully you should be able to salvage most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such good news about your brother. A big relief for you. That Arizona snowman is really cute. Frustrating experience with your Aurifil thread. Those spools hold a lot though, so I think you won't have lost too much. We had rainy weather for Halloween so the number of trick or treaters was down from normal. And now the predicted high winds have started so it will be a noisy night.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list Mary. I enjoyed each and every one. I watched the video and yes, marked it for next year...something I would love to do and my daughter as well. So easy and effective.
    When travelling in the states, we often stop at Cracker Barrel and love looking through their gift shop. Loads of neat things. It was at a Cracker Barrel that I first tasted grits and gravy.
    The best thing of all is your brother's news. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete