Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Things I like Thursdays Jul 11

Greetings!

Hope ya'll had a good week.  We had fun.  Please join us at Lee Anna's site: Not Afraid of Color for more "likes".

Here is a list of my "likes" for this week:

1.  My son's beautiful and "cold" new swimming pool.




The big unit behind us on the back patio  is his hot tub along with his "Green Egg" barbecue system.   "Cool Jazz" was playing in the background.   (The "kid" knows how to live- he's almost 50).

 The last photo is of the waterfall.  Everything is remote controlled.  Really cool.  The water was too cold to swim in except for a few of us.   Everyone else didn't even put their suits on  but stuck their feet in the water..
  This cold pool water  is just so unusual for this area in July. But, the bad temps (113 degrees)  this week will warm up the water very soon.

2.  My new quilting group about 1/2 mile from my home.  It's in a quilt shop (after hours) for UFO's and WIPS.  The group is very small but gets me out of the house for an evening. The ladies were complete strangers but very nice and welcoming. I was able to sew the Dits and Dots top together:


And yes, the quilt has legs.  I did a disappearing 9 patch block with a solid block.  All made from left over fabric cut into charms for the 9 patch.  It's a baby quilt about 44 inches square.


3. "Roses are Purple" painting.  Thanks to "Creations CEECEE" for the tutorial.




This was so fun to make and I love turquoise with purple . I just keep trying CeeCee's videos.  She makes it seem so simple. And it is!

4. Stuffed Peppers from my daughters garden.  These red peppers were from her garden and I just used a mixture of  browned  hamburger, cooked rice, a can of diced tomatoes with some seasoning all stuffed inside the peppers.  I put them in the slow cooker for 3 hours on low  and supper was done.




5.  My new PUR water purifier.  I had been thinking about installing one and Lee Anna gave me the idea again, so I just did it.



 I've been feeling guilty about all the plastic water bottles we've been using ( a case a week). I couldn't  buy them because the case was  too heavy so my son- in- law has been bringing them over, weekly. Of course, most of you have seen what we are doing to our planet and fish with these plastic items that are thrown away.  We do recycle as much as possible in our home but it just seemed smarter to not have the bottles in the first place.

Now, I just make a pitcher of water every morning, keep it in the fridge and we fill our insulated metal drinking bottles from that.  We could fill them from the faucet but the water is too hot due to summer here. We have not used a plastic bottle since last Thursday!
The filter should last about 3 months. I had one of these PUR systems in our old house and loved it. I don't know why I never got one for this house in 3 years. I'm so glad I did a few days ago! I highly recommend this system.

Well peeps, gotta go and get laundry done- Ugh. I'd rather be sewing or painting.
Thanks for stopping by!
Have a good week.
mary

9 comments:

  1. Good Morning Mary! What a fabulous post. Your son's pool looks fabulous, and I miss my pool at my old house so much. With the temperatures you get around there it will be like bath water in no time. So refreshing and calming the water is, no matter the temperature. I am SO very glad you are enjoying the whole painting process, and your picture is lovely. I know you hung up your earlier piece and I hope you do this one as well. I love the colors, shades and tones you chose - I'd say you have an eye for this, and loving what you're doing is more than half the battle to talent in my book. STUFFED PEPPERS!! Love them. It's a bit too soon for ours yet, but I'm keeping an eye on my plants. That's a meal we'll enjoy from our garden in August - October. Oh, and your quilt group and quilt! Home fun is that? I wish we had a group we could join in - maybe I'll have to start one. The fabrics are so cute, and using up stash is just the best isn't it?! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo the pool and family look very inviting! LOVE your painting and the colors. The quilt group sounds like my kinda group, easy going with no agenda but to visit and sew. Your dots are cute. Love our PUR system too. We keep the Britta to make coffee and put the other container in the fridge. I am very partial to stuffed peppers and am jealous to see ripe ones. Mine are only buds from the late season. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWSERS!! That is a fantastic pool area--hope you get to enjoy it a lot;)))
    Love your purple roses--so gorgeous...nice work on those...
    We use a Brita filter system here...makes drinking water a treat
    (instead of a treatment haha) hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited that you got the pur system and are trying to move away from plastic bottles. You're so right about being better to just not use them to begin with. That pool is really wonderful looking, it almost makes the hot days worth it if you can jump into that cool clear water! Have a great week and don't overheat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pool looks very refreshing, and I bet it will warm up with your temperatures. Your quilt top is so pretty and colorful, and I'm so glad you found a group to be a part of! Your painting just amazes me - wow! Good for you on the water - we use too many plastic bottles, too. I'm trying to change that at our house, but it is slow going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your painting Mary. Good for you!
    Also great to have that water purifier. We have a dispenser on the fridge(came with the house) and we use it all the time.
    I'm happy for you but envious you have found a group to stitch with. I miss it and wish one of the shops around here would start such a group.
    We have a pool here and I enjoy swimming every day...great exercise and I swim no matter the temperature. Some days I have to be braver than others, LOL. But I'm sure your son and family will get heaps of enjoyment from it. SIL and little grandson come over just about every day for a swim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A cold pool in that heat sounds wonderful. Took me a minute to find the legs on the quilt. LOL. Yeah, we loved a water purifier on the sink. Huzzah for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your painting and quilt are beautiful. I'll check out CeeCee's videos. Thanks for the tip. We have a water purifying system, too. Totally beats going to the store and filling up jugs. Good cheer to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh your painting is awesome. The pool sounds awesome. I have water in the door of my fridge and it is filtered. I hardly ever buy a bottle of water. Either my Yeti cup or if it isn't too hot an old blue mason jar.

    ReplyDelete