Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Things I like Thursdays June 6

Greetings!

Oh my goodness-where did this week go?  I am scrambling to come up with a "likes" post  for this week!  I don't have Thomas this week- so I'm trying to get things done but between appointments, headaches and the heat, I'm exhausted.  I had also planned to sew but so far that has not happened.  But, I do have some likes to share with you.  Please join us for more  at Lee Anna's site: Not Afraid of Color.

1. Quilting tile in the hospital bathroom.  After my daughter and I visited my son at the hospital, we were leaving;  when my daughter needed to use the bathroom.  I waited for her at the sinks. Then I noticed the tile border all at eye level.  Quilting type blocks that were just so intricate and pretty. ( Sorry, I forgot to take a photo).  The best part of the experience was when my daughter came out to wash her hands, her mother was staring at the wall about 2 inches from the tile.  She was very concerned.  Hysterical.

2.My  Trees in the Mist painting. 



Probably 20 years ago, I spent some time painting in oils. I had always wanted to try painting but felt I couldn't. One day,  I just bought canvas, oils, brushes etc and started painting.   I really enjoyed it.  This is the only piece I saved when we moved.  It hangs in my bathroom. I didn't really have a space in my home where painting was safe for breathing, so I stopped and  I gave away my supplies.  But, I'm so happy I tried it.  And, kept this piece.

3. Burger King Apple Pie.




Look at those cute little apples! I love apple pie but I don't make pies anymore.  I keep trying the ones at the grocery store and they are not good even at $10 a pie.  The crust is heavy and under -cooked while the few apples are hard as rocks.  But,  McDonalds and Burger King have excellent pie slices. I wonder why.

4. Catching up on blogs for hours.  Many Saturday mornings, I love spending hours just catching up on blogs I enjoy.  It's such a pleasant way to start the day.  Most of them are quilters, but some are great cooks as well. I'm so busy during the week, I seldom take the time to read blogs.  If I missed your blog on your  post day, I apologize. Sometimes, I even post my email replies on Saturday also.
However, I was so sorry to hear of the passing of Jo Kramer's husband from lung cancer. She has been posting the daily process of that terrible disease on her blog.   I have been following her blog (Jo's Country Junction) for awhile now as her and her daughter are such talented quilters.

5.  Working with band aids. Isn't that silly?



My latest ailment started a few weeks ago. My fingertip skins are peeling off leaving a very thin layer susceptible to cuts. It appears to be a form of eczema, so I use special lotions to prevent the peeling.  Anyway, it's frustrating and painful.   I wear gloves for washing dishes and band aids most of the day. However, it has taken a lot of patience to wear band aids while sewing.  Handling needles or bobbins is quite the challenge for my fat fingers.  I'm dropping things frequently.  Practice makes perfect.

6.  My favorite President. President Obama receiving a standing ovation at the Toronto vs Golden State basketball game on Sunday.


I miss him, his wife and his administration. The crowd at TORONTO yelled "MVP". Just sayin.

Of course, I'm also happy my favorite basketball  team won and they are tied with Toronto in the series.

That's it for this week.  Have a good day!
mary






16 comments:

  1. Lovely posting about your likes this week, MARY;))) Obama is my favorite too. A gentler, kinder administration he had...so sorry about your fingertips--it must so hard quilting like that! hope this goes away fast...AND I love your painting--it would make a lovely quilted piece...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! I'm so sorry to hear about your fingertip ailment. That has to be hard to deal with, and why does it have to impact your fingertips?!! I have had eczema most of my life - only on my right side for some reason and mostly my ankle or calf. Oh, how I agree with you about Obama. He really had it going on, and his wife too. Have you read her book? It really portrayed them as a normal family dealing with normal things, if your husband was a Senator anyway. I am hoping for a better choice and change in 2020. Happy Thursday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss the Obamas too! My husband has excezma but weirdly one of the things that helps him is avoiding gluten. He also gets a good cream at the dermatologists. Hope it is under control soon! Sewing with band-aids looks difficult! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know you're a quilter when you find designs and patterns everywhere you look! I love your painting - glad you got to try that craft for awhile. I loved President Obama, too, Mary - and would definitely recommend Michelle's book - it was so interesting to read about their earlier lives before the White House.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great post, Mary. You and I share skin ailments/sensitivities it seems. I have had to employ bandaids a few times and they are really hard to use when stitching. I think it's great you tried your hand at oils and have a lovely little painting to show for it. Funny about these fast food places...McDonald's ice cream is a favourite of ours and they have a summer special of a dollar a cone right now. I don't think they offer apple pie here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my daughter and I spend the day together we usually stop at McDonalds on the way home for a $1 sundae! So good in the summer especially. And, just the right size for us. How funny.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful list of "I Likes". It must be difficult to sew with the skin challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, but I’m getting used to it! Thanks for dropping by! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bandaids seem like a simple solution but still effective.
    I saw that clip where they yelled MVP. Melted my heart too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bandaids hmmm must be hard to get used to. The tile sounds fun in the ladies room.and apple pie? Whats not to love

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your painting. I enjoy reading all the blog posts, too. :-) So much to learn and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your painting is lovely. How was Thomas's first week at the new care facility? I have been thinking and praying for him. Saturday morning I catch up on blogs too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss Pres. Obama too. Your painting is so so so good Mary. I would say start again but you're right it takes space. There are a lot of plein air painters around who paint outside. I really like your use of shadow and simplicity. It's peaceful and misty which evokes feeling. How weird the body is... I have a hard time working with a bandaid on. My skin is cracking open again from hand washing and it hurts. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means so much to me-thank you. Yes- my fingers hurt from this condition too. Have a great weekend. mary

      Delete