Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Things I like Thursdays Jun -20

Greetings!

We're having a cool spell-105's - so I'm happy it's not 112.  LOL. I  hope you are enjoying the summer and your weather has calmed down.  Life problems still going on around here ( seems like it never stops) but, I've got a few "likes" to share with you for this week.  When I get stressed,  I try  to sew and it works cause I go to La La Land. hee hee.

Here we go:

1.  My new US pillow or as Thomas calls it " the states pillow".

This is a panel  from Connecting Threads so it was super easy to put this pillow cover together.  I only used one of two maps and then made the back with a dark gray.  I love this pillow  but it really came in handy to teach Thomas where all the basketball players are from.  LOL. It's 20 inches square which forced me to go to Joanns for a new pillow.  I usually use 16 inch pillows on my sofa.  It's only 4 inches but you wouldn't believe the difference  when they are all placed on the sofa.

2.  A Tommy Bahama outdoor tablecloth for my son's patio:


It's 54" x 90" !  It was tough maneuvering around the  sewing machine and ironing board cause it was heavier than quilting cotton.  This is the second one I made for him cause the first one I made  last year  got holes in it from a candle. UGH. The fabric was originally $21 per yard at Joann's but luckily, I paid about $8.50 per yard thanks to a sale and coupons. SCORE. My son paid for the fabric and I gifted the work.  There is some light turquoise in the design but for some reason it does not show in the photo.

3.  My Books for Summer reading:



Remarkably, this is a story about 3 women who meet in a grief support group and dropout.  They become good friends and support each other. I like all of the author's books and this did not disappoint. Of course, I was initially sucked in by Marie's references to quilting.


The Perfect Couple

In Nantucket, the maid of honor's body washes ashore on the morning of  wedding day.  I'm reading this now but it really is good so far.

A Woman Is No Man

This was a sad but beautifully written mystery of a family of 3 American -Iranian women.  It was quite a picture into their culture. I could not put this book down till I was finished. It was recommended by Jenna Bush Hager's book club on the Today show.

It's been wonderful getting back to reading lately.  I love a good escape.


That's my list for this week.  Hope you can join us at Lee Anna's site for more:Not Afraid of Color

Take care.
mary

10 comments:

  1. Loving your states pillow--and the Bahama table cloth...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Mary! I love your states pillow and the tablecloth. What a great tool to use for Thomas. How is he adjusting to his new experience three days a week? I hope all is going well for both of you. Worrying about him is no fun, and new experiences and people are great for him so I'm praying for a win/win. I'll have to add those books to my library wish list. I like reading new authors and just plain reading overall. So many books, so little time for all of them. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pillow...rush over to CT website but no states panel. :(
    Thanks for the book recommendations. I really like 2 of those authors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that pillow, Mary! What a great idea, and fun for Thomas, too. Thanks for all the book recommendations - I'll put them on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pillow is cool! I really like the outdoor table cloth fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very neat pillow and gorgeous table cloth fabric, Mary. I have read The Perfect Couple and enjoyed it too. Hope your hobbies soothe you too like they do me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all the wonderful book suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 105 yikes!
    Elin is a terrific writer. I used to follow a small group of writers of which she was one. They all had entertaining blogs.
    Leeanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list of likes even though it was a tough week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those books all sound good :) And the states pillow is super quirky and cute - I love it!

    ReplyDelete