Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Things I Like Thursdays June 27

Greetings!

This has been a fun week.  I have a new hobby thanks to LeeAnna.  It's watercolor painting.  Very relaxing and creative. Needless to say not much else got done these last few days-heehee.  I must say I finally feel as if I'm retired after 3 years not working! Just mostly playing.  I'm feeling just a tiny bit guilty not getting chores done but that too shall pass.
Without further ado-here are my likes for this week:

1.  Movies watched- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.  A Tom Hanks movie. A young boy finds his father's key after the father died in one of the towers of 9-11. The story is about the boy trying to find out what the key is for.
   Get Low.  A Robert Duvall movie. It's a true tale of an old man planning his funeral to take place while he's alive.  I know this is a bizarre thought but the movie kept my attention.
Both movies were good.

2. Having a blog. Duh. I'm not on Instagram, Twitter, etc.  I don't want to spend all day on social media. I can barely keep this blog going and I don't take it too seriously. It's such a fun way to socialize with you while keeping a journal of my life. Someone once said:"why be an artist if you aren't sharing your work?".  Well, I just feel good creating, whether it be quilting, cooking, or crafty stuff. I am so grateful for followers!  We all need to connect. I so appreciate your comments, ideas, respect and encouragement. I'm happy to share my thoughts on your sites, as well.

3. My new hobby- watercolor painting.  Thanks to Lee Anna, I was sucked into a video at Creations CeeCee. First, I need to explain- I cannot draw and never had "doodled".  Weird, but my analytical side felt doodling was a waste of time.  I know, sad.  I remember doodling on my books at school when I liked a boy. Other than that, no doodling.
Well, CeeCee made watercolor painting look so effortless and doodling just enhanced the art. I had to try it. :



I ran to Michael's and bought just a few items-correct type of paper, brushes and a pastel paint set.
I literally couldn't wait to start when I got home. My brother was gone for the weekend so it was quiet.  I watched CeeCee on You Tube and made 4 small "tulip"  cards:



I put a "chill" station on the radio and spent the afternoon "painting".  And, I doodled a lot. What a delightful day.
Then on Saturday, I looked at Shayda Campbell on You Tube for more tutorials and decided to start a larger painting. I got on Amazon and ordered more paints and Micron pens.

I decided to add stamps so that necessitated a trip to the Scrapbook store down the street. I was told they didn't carry wood stamps.  Huh? I was then educated how times have changed.  "They" use an acrylic block with photopolymer stamps that are stuck to the block then dipped in ink:


I spent some money on these and do not like the process. I'll get the wooden stamps somewhere else.
My fingers could not handle these tiny stamps. Plus, I got ink everywhere cause the block was too big.  I'll save them in case I want to try again in the future.
I then asked for paint brushes and they didn't carry them either! ( I felt old and stupid, but the salesgirl was patient and kind).  "they" use a water filled brush.  That would so not work for me. I actually laughed. She didn't see the humor. Anyway, the store  was lovely so I did see a lot of pretties.
Since my brother was gone a few days, I was able to leave the painting out on the kitchen table for 2 days!  I would walk by and decide to add something else. Loved this process.  I'm very happy with the finished project.
My second Watercolor-Blue Pot:


It's 9 x 12 and I love it.

4. Thomas' new mini apron.  I did have a few minutes to sew this week.  Due to Thomas  only using one hand to eat and sometime spilling liquids, we have been stuffing a towel on top of  his nice shirts for eating.  ("bibs are for babies").  So, I just took some measurements, grabbed some scraps and made him a mini apron (it only goes to the lower waist).




He loves it.  He tricked me by closing his eyes to pretend he was sleeping when I took the picture. Stinker.

Well, that's MY week.  Hope yours was just as fun.  Please join us at LeeAnna's:Not Afraid of Color
for more "likes".

Take care.
mary




8 comments:

  1. Good Morning, Mary! You are an artist! It is hard to believe you are a beginner with watercolors. These cards and your blue pot painting could be found on cards I buy in the stores. I did used to doodle, but my doodling now expresses itself in quilting. I do not really have the artist gene which you obviously do. I shall enjoy seeing your talent grow. Thanks for sharing I Like Thursday with me ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely watercolor flowers--you are so talented; happy you've found a new pastime...I don't do FB, Inst. or Twitter etc either--just my blog--it's such fun to read them...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun that you decided to try painting! Your painting of the flowers is beautiful - I think you should frame it! I enjoy blogging, too, and am so glad it's lead me to meeting other quilters and learning new things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary! Thomas is one handsome young man, and he is modeling the new apron quite nicely. It makes me so happy to read that you have found a new passion and outlet for your creativity. I love your Blue Pot - I would hang that right up and enjoy it every single day. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great likes. Thomas is such a handsome man, and your apron is a fabulous idea. I like your paintings. Enjoy your new creative outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blue pot piece is gorgeous! Frame it so you can look at it daily! And remember the feeling of finding a new passion and way of self expression. I'll be watching to see what you try next! As to the stamps... I enjoy the acrylic blocks, it's a matter of not pressing on the ink pad too hard for the little attached stamps. I love adding in a stamped image, and there are inks permanent on fabric, so once you find an image you love it can be added to any pieced blocks. Try again. With fabric I find you need a stiff surface and more time for the ink to bind, hold the stamp on fabric a tiny bit longer than you would for paper. Painters seem to like painting the little images right onto the stamp, then stamping the paper, not using ink pads. Then they gently use the water brush to go over the edges to soften them into more painted looking pieces. It works!
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creating is good. I always feel better when I'm creating something, even if I don't share it with anyone.

    I like your watercolors! And I agree with you on the stamps - sounds like a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, I love your watercolor paintings. You are talented! Thomas looks great modeling the apron. My dad's name was Thomas. It's my son's middle name. It will always remind me of my dad.

    ReplyDelete