Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Things I like Thursday May 30

Greetings!

Happy end of May?  I'm sure many of you will be glad when your rain, snow, tornadoes and heat   weather stops.  We have had an unusually cool month and the 100's start in earnest today.  Plus our monsoons should start in a few weeks. Yay! (not)

Here is my list of likes for this week:

1. The folks at Del Webb Medical Center in Sun City for taking care of my son once again! He had an emergency appendectomy Sunday after having his emergency gall bladder surgery 3 months ago!  He's only 49.  Luckily he had the same surgeon to take care of him this time.  I don't understand what's going on because my son's  pretty- much healthy. Maybe it's all that red meat men like to eat?   Hopefully, these emergency situations will stop.
But, as I said, the staff there was most helpful and caring.

2.  "Like minds' . I was reading a post by Jocelyn at Canadian Needle Nana the other day with  her thought on impatience to get a project done so she can start a new one. That is so me. I make it to finishing the top of a quilt and want to start something new.  I try not to have too many WIPS and tell myself I need to finish them before I'm allowed to start something new.  Otherwise, nothing would get done.  I guess this problem is due to the "sandwiching" and "quilting" being hard on my back or the fact that I don't have a designated table for those jobs. Or maybe, it's because the "quilting" part isn't really creative? It's also  possible that we have squirrels here that attack, . Heehee

3.  My new "Zing" vacuum cleaner.

I forget I have a rewards program on a credit card; so, the other day I decided to  check on my rewards.  I had a lot of points and picked out a  new canister vacuum cleaner.  It arrived in 3 days!  I was so impressed with that delivery.  We have all- tile floors (which I'm not crazy about) and I've been using a Swiffer dry cleaner on most of the rooms.  But, it just didn't seem to pick up everything.  Plus, I couldn't get into narrow areas  or fit under furniture easily. I have a cordless upright vacuum that I received from the same rewards program but it also couldn't fit in small places and did not have those cute little attachments for cleaning blinds, furniture or hard-to-reach places.
This little Zing is truth in advertising!  It is very powerful, bagless and easy to use. I love free things.The day it arrived, I cleaned half the house!  It's the little things.

4.  Patriotic Earrings from Walmart

Aren't they cute?  I was grocery shopping and they were at the end of an aisle and only $3 for 3 pair.  Crazy.  The bottom pair is hard to see but they are dragonflies.  Since I retired , I seldom wear jewelry because I'm home a lot.  But, I recently realized I need to wear earrings almost daily  to keep my ears pierced.   I wore the dragonflies  over the weekend and need to go back and get this for a gift.


5. The Village Glow top is done:



This photo does not show the correct color for the sashing.  It is actually a very tiny red check. The border is a black with tiny colorful flowers. I really enjoyed making this very simple top from scraps.  I love this top and will keep it but haven't had time to quilt it. Luckily, it is sandwiched.   Maybe in a few weeks when I have more free time, I'll be able to finish this..


Gotta get ready for the king (Thomas) to arrive .  We have called him that for many years because we are happy to be his subjects of affection.  He has been here most days since school stopped the middle of May. Anyway, next week he will start at a new special- needs  day care facility for 3 days a week. He will come here 2 days per week for the summer.  We are anxious to see how he is cared for at the new facility.  It's scary to feel this vulnerable to strangers caring for him.  I pray for his safety and happiness every day.

Hope ya'll are healthy, happy and creating beautiful things.  Please join us at Lee Anna's site: Not Afraid of Color for more "likes".

mary

13 comments:

  1. Lots of fun likes
    Those dragonflies are adorable! Love your house quilt and you cant beat a new vac to lighten housework loads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the Zing vacuum heavy--we have a horribly heavy cleaner that I need to replace. Love the earrings, too--esp. the dragonflies...so cute...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your top is lovely!!! Love the earrings! Have fun vacuuming! :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary! Yes, it is scary to hand a loved one over to strangers at any age. I'll pray for Thomas to adjust well to his new learning opportunity and to have caring, loving staff. I'm glad he still gets your attention twice a week. I know both of you treasure that time together. I just love your houses quilt top! So very pretty - I have wanted to make a neighborhood quilt myself. So many pattern to make, so little time. It seems like you should have someone close by like me who would just like to quilt and quilt and not piece or paper piece. That would be the perfect combination! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clean all the things! Yay for a new vacuum. Sorry that your son is going through all that, but it's good to see he's in good hands. Village Glow is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, get bogged down when it's time to sandwich and baste a quilt, Mary! It's never my favorite job... Your house quilt is lovely! Those earrings are fun! Enjoy your time with Thomas, and all of us will be wishing him well and sending positive thoughts for his new daycare program, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great likes. I am that way too with projects. I am really working at finishing things, but it is so very hard. I have a shark vac, I love it. Upstairs I have the great aunt and uncle's vac for kitty little pick up, and on the sun porch, Jeff's old vac that I abhorred. Sorry about your son. Hopefully he gets better soon. I will keep Thomas in my thoughts and prayers for his new day care situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary, great post and let's just blame it all on the squirrels! But it is true that while totally enjoying (most) of my projects, I've got an eye to the next one. And there are always so many wonderful next ones.
    I'm so glad your son got cared for and is feeling fine. These things may be blips and he will go many years before there is another...fingers crossed.
    I can well understand your concerns about Thomas...new places for everyone is a concern esp. those vulnerable. But trust that there are good people out there still. Have a good weekend now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind positive thoughts! I needed that. Have a wonderful weekend! mary

      Delete
  9. a zing! I want one too! And the quilt is so cute, but I just start new projects willy nilly... can't put them off! Can you believe your son needed two parts removed? He must weigh less, lol (trying to look at the good side!) Hope he is doing well. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind thoughts. I spoke with my son yesterday and it's like nothing happened- a week from the surgery- no pain-no drugs-just Aleve for soreness. That was the same recovery on his last laparoscopy! I hope I can choose that if I need surgery someday. Have a wonderful day. mary

      Delete
  10. Hope Thomas is blessed with a loving crew. Thanks for the review of the Zing - I have a lot of points, too. Both the earrings and the quilt top are great. I'm sure you will enjoy both. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilt! House blocks are one of my favorites. It's so nice to get a vacuum cleaner using rewards points. I hope Thomas is happy with his new surroundings. Cute earrings!

    ReplyDelete