Wednesday, February 27, 2019

I Like Thursdays Feb 28

Greetings!

We are happier now that the weather is warming up to normal here in Az. I hope you made it safely through all these crazy blizzards and wet weather in the U.S.  Please join us at Lee Anna's site:Not Afraid of Color  for positive, fun "likes".  Here's my list for this week:

1.  Quiltfolk No. 9 

This issue gives a beautiful insight to the people and scenery of Utah.  I cannot say enough how much I enjoy these magazines/books.  Since there are not advertisements in these, I refer to them as  books.  The photos are just fantastic but it's the personal stories of the quilters that I really enjoy. The above  "tied" quilt is so inviting for a snuggly afternoon.



This is a quilt! It was put together by several quilters in the national park area of Utah.

I take my time reading these books -twice- and are usually not done by the time the next edition arrives (quarterly).  These books are such a treat and great reading at bedtime.

2. Backing fabric bought at my LQS sale.




These were $7.80 per yard so I stocked up at 4 yards each. . Aren't they pretty? It's hard to guess on backings for the future but I think these will work.  I've made pieced or even patchwork backings but I find it easier and quicker to use a solid piece if I can. I certainly don't need more stash for quilt tops.

3.  Sew Your Stash 2019 at aquiltinglife.com. Lead by Sherri McConnell, this  provides tips and ideas on organizing the stash/sewing area and getting projects done.

4. becomingminimalist.com for more ideas on reorganizing and removing "stuff'. Joshua Becker wrote a great post on the "convenience fallacy contributes to clutter".  We leave things out in our homes thinking we need them available when in reality it would take seconds to remove the item from a nearby cabinet when we actually need it.  I tried this with my toaster: it's not even used everyday but I'm constantly moving it around on my tiny kitchen counter to use that space.  I love having it tucked away in the cupboard now.

Are you seeing a pattern here?  I'm obsessed with purging and less clutter.

5.  My newly organized dresser drawers. This is just one that I finally got done.



It feels good to have purged and reorganized the dresser. I filled a large trash bag with trash and moved many items to the Goodwill area of my garage.

I'm saving the clothes closet and fabric stash till last in my reorganization goals for our home.

6.  My new eye glasses -they're blue and a bigger frame instead of "light granny glasses".  Love them.

7. Homemade blueberry jam.



It's so easy to make jam on the stove.  Since I can't have skins or seeds I make jam and then run it through the strainer.

 I also spent an entire afternoon cutting up scraps to 2 1/2 inch  squares to better see what I have and can use in the future. They look cute in a little box.
As you can see I've been busy.

Hopefully, you enjoyed a glimpse into my "likes" and will join us at Lee Anna's site. Have a great week.
mary😊






14 comments:

  1. Great likes! Loved the quilts you showed! I love homemade jelly and jam too. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! The jam is so good on ice cream (or in my case Faux ice cream). It's a little time consuming to make jam, but so worth it. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Hi Mary! Oh, I love the idea of moving the toaster off the counter. We had been using it maybe once a week but now Sue is using it each morning. When it goes back to a weekly thing, I'm going to put it away. That blueberry jam looks delicious! YUM. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your toaster idea is brilliant! We rarely use the toaster, yet it sits out on the counter all the time. I have been cleaning out clothes this week (while recovering from surgery)...it always feels good to clean out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I thought of the toaster hiding earlier! heehee.
      I'm saving the clothes closet clean- out for later-that's a lot of work! Hope your surgery was minor. Take care. mary

      Delete
  4. so much to like! It's true about just taking an item out of a cabinet. I did that to my lingerie drawers and just love how I can see all my stuff in one look. I feel like I had so many pairs of things because I didn't see them... I mean it's bordering on hoarding to have so much when we have a washer and do laundry weekly. Wouldn't it feel better to have a few less items and be able to see them? Amazing.
    The fabrics are just so pretty. Love them both. I keep a box of 2" squares for watercolor quilts and just had to put them in a larger box in my reorg. I guess I should start another quilt, heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep being surprised by things I forgot I have during these clean-outs. I think I might make a bunch of four squares with those small squares to have on hand for a border emergency. Sad, huh? heehee. Have a great weekend! mary

      Delete
  5. You have been busy and accomplished. I have been in a sort it out, donate it and reorganize frame of mind since last fall. I have made some progress shedding what I do not need and am getting ready for my spring cleaning by targeting the things I have not used all winter. I am reducing and donating these rather than pack them away again. I cannot say I do not have what some would call clutter but those are my favorite things. Buying yardage on sale is the way to shop for fabric. That pretty pink would make a nice background fabric, too. The jam looks yummy. Most of all, thank you for helping me find Quilfolk. My Thursdays are going to be so much brighter now ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love those backing fabrics! so pretty, and what a great price. Blueberry jam - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy it is warming up for you. I am dreaming of spring.
    So many lovely likes in this post, Mary. I am folding my things like you have done and finding it makes more sense than on top of each other. I like that you are feeling less cluttered and passing things along. I am seriously rethinking having so many clothes overall especially hanging on to things I don't wear.
    That mag/book looks really neat. I've never seen it here. I love homemade blueberry jam. Yes, you've been busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jocelyn. Thanks for the kind words. I think Quiltfolk is subscription only. One issue was supposedly at Barnes and Noble but it was sold before I even got there. It's expensive but I splurged and subscribed. It's so warm here all of a sudden we are scrambling to wear shorts! I hope to purge the clothes soon. Have a great weekend! mary

      Delete
  8. I love the quilt made for Zion National Park! We went to a display awhile back that had quilts made for many national parks and they were just amazing. I like those yardages you bought for backings! I am realizing I prefer not to piece backings for quilts - it will be nice for you to have so much on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've been busy! Your newly organized drawer looks great. I lost my organizing/clearing momentum somehow, need it back. Blueberry jam sounds delicious. Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy to say that I organized my fat quarters, scraps, and small yardage into plastic containers by color. It certainly made a difference in figuring color and print pieces for my current project. Now to find a place for the containers.

    ReplyDelete