Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Things I like Thursdays Feb 20

Greetings!

The rain and wind and cold are still going on here in the desert.  Crazy weather.  Many times you can hear natives of my area complain we don't have four seasons and I agree but we certainly have had a long winter here. The highs have been in the 50's and will continue for another week.  I will cover my plants again tonite because we are having a soft freeze in the morning.  We are usually in the seventies already at this time of year.  I'm not complaining but it is so unusual.

Regardless, I do have some likes to share with you this week:

1. This book from Marie Kondo.

Her book, "You Tube" sharings, blogland, Netflix have been showing up everywhere so I had to see what everyone is talking about.  I do like an organized home.  However, it took me 30 pages of reading to even consider her process of organizing.  I can't accept assigning personal traits to inanimate objects as she suggests.  The inanimate objects do not bring me "joy" but rather fulfill a need.   I'm stubborn though, so I read the entire book and I'm pleased that I did. Just one of her suggestions is to store things vertically rather than horizontally so we can see at a glance what we have plus avoid having to move an item above or below our selection.  I'm surprised I hadn't thought of that more often.  I have been storing my fat quarters vertically in long baskets but not my larger pieces of fabrics, so I'm figuring out how to accomplish that for the larger pieces. I do like purging items in the home that are no longer used while also decluttering  and she has a system for accomplishing those jobs.  I agree with some of her ideas and some I do not- but that's my choice. I did reorganize and purged  all my recipes and books, so that feels good.  I have much more to do but I'm taking it slow so as not to overdo it.

2. My new U.S.  Map Panel.  It just called to me as a pillow at my LQS.


It comes with 2 maps on a panel.  I'm going to guess a 22 x 20 pillow.  It's from Basic Grey Metropolis for Moda.  Contrary to the photo, the surrounding  background of the map is cream  while the actual map is black and white.  I thought I'd make 2 pillows with black on the backing.   Someday.

3.  Being Single.  Once again, Arizona has the dubious distinction of being the worst  in a category in the United States.  First one was child education.  Now, we have the highest divorce rate in the country-67% !  I've been single for 20 years and I'm happy.  Guess I don't play well with others...heehee

4. Endurance Blades from Olfa.  I think Jocelyn of Canadianneedlenana was the one who sparked my curiosity so I bought some.
We'll see how long it lasts.


5. Things not changing ALL the time.  In one day I found out my LQS and Chiropractor were closing.  Are you kidding me? My quilt shop owner will go online but I need to plan on a new WIP- for- a- day location and  I will miss the ladies terribly.
I've been seeing my chiropractor for over 20 years and I was spoiled. Oh well, life goes on.

Other than that, things are fine.

Hope you enjoyed my craziness! Please join us at LeeAnna's post:Not Afraid of Color  for more likes.

Be healthy and happy!
mary

10 comments:

  1. Oh no! I hated leaving my PT in MD, it's so hard to find a good match in someone to touch your body. I could not get into the book, but the tv show was completely different. I store large fabric yardage the same upright way I do small pieces. They all fold into the same size height, the yardage is wider. I can pull out the bin and see all of them at a glance. I also do t-shirts, underwear and socks that way now and love choosing one to wear. When they are on top of each other, I tended to take the top one and wear it all the time. Must feel weird to have cooler temps. It's been near 0 here a lot this winter, snowed two days in a row with no accumulation, very odd evaporating before hitting the ground. More snow tonight and tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read that book, but have several friends who have, with varying reactions! I'm glad to know what you thought, Mary, and that you found something you wanted to try from it. I love that US map panel! Great idea to make a pillow out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you about her book-method. Some ideas I liked...others, not so much. I like the map fabric...thanks for sharing the maker info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary! I have noticed that several of my usual go-to's are retiring. My GP doctor has retired, but I found a wonderful new, young one. Now I'm eyeing up my dentist - I just know he's going to leave me soon. Good luck finding replacements for both. I also purchased one of the endurance blades although Sue is the cutter in the sewing room usually. We'll see how long it lasts! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know who said :take waht you can use and leave the rest", but that's definitely how I feel about Marie Kondo. I read the book several years ago and laughed hysterically at parts of it (like emptying your purse every night). We just watched the Netflix series while visiting relatives in TX and again there are concepts I can agree with but some are not for me. Hope your weather warms up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your US panel. Very cool. What a bummer to lose your local businesses, especially that quilt shop. (and I bet you play great with others - just on your terms. ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary, I'm interested that you read Marie's book. I watched a couple of episodes of the Netflix show and I've changed the way I store several things. I think the idea of assigning traits to inanimate objects is part of the ancient religion and reminds me of indigenous people's beliefs.
    Your map fabric will make a great project. My eye immediately went to Kansas, the sunflower state.
    So happy you are happy being single. I was fully prepared to be single but became friends with Tony at a writing group.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I laughed when I got to your "I like" of being single. I was single for 17 years before I met my second husband and I get it! I love that map fabric! Bummer about your LQS and doctor :( Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Friends have been mentioning the Kondo book, some in jest and others in all seriousness. I've heard that thrift stores have been getting a lot of good donations because people are taking her advise to heart.
    Your pillow is very cool. I have a panel of the map of the U.S. that I plan on turning into curtains. Hopefully today if I don't distract myself with a jigsaw puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I haven't read the book, I binged the Netfilx series. I use some of her folding techniques now and she caused me to be aware of what I have. Love the map! Being single, there are days I crave that--LOL not really but maybe. wink wink

    ReplyDelete