Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Things I like Thursdays Feb 7

Greetings!

As usual, it's been a busy week but I fit in some sewing. Yay! So, I want to share fun things  and my "likes" with you:

1. Bottles and containers that open easily for this old lady.  I have tendinitis in both thumbs so all of it is difficult, but my brother doesn't have that malady and he finds it difficult to open items also.  The biggest culprits are Advil and Band-Aid type companies.   Really, do you not understand I'm in pain and can't open your product? Ugh. I have helpers and utensils to help but I keep a pair of small pliers in the kitchen and bathroom to open them. Tweezers help too.

2. Dylan Alcott, an inspiring individual. He is a Grand Slam Champ in wheelchair tennis and, a very popular Australian paraplegic. Proud of his disability, he strives to provide an example of success to others who are disabled.   Here's the link to his story:Dylan Alcott


3. An egret continuous painting story:Twitter egret story  ( I can picture my friend Lee Anna taking part in this artistry.)


4. The carpet pattern at the Az. Science center.



I was so surprised at the beautiful block pattern.

5. A Heart Pennant Pillow at Diary of a Quilter blog site



I just saw this and thought it was so cute in it's simplicity. Maybe I'll make it for next year. I've been wanting to make a heart pennant for my daughter's wall, but haven't got to it yet. Maybe next year.

6. Valentines Mug Rugs. I made these with scraps and leftover layer cakes.


I pinned them back  so you can see the other side. I love them. They were harder and more time consuming than I expected- 5 hours. I cut out the hearts on one fabric then I zigzag  appliqued them to the top, batting and back.  I just stitched around the heart  again for depth. A cute red/white dot was used for the binding.  They finished at about 9 inches.  Love them. I kept 3 for me and sent 1 to my daughter.

6. A Woodstock Valentine Mug Rug for Thomas.


Woodstock playin baseball= Precious.  Thomas loves this gift from Gramma.

As usual, that's an eclectic array of likes but that's my life.  I'm happy to share with you.  Please join us at Lee Anna's site for more fun:Not Afraid of Color

As a side note- I hope that the changes by Blogger and Google to my  posts do not affect your enjoyment of this blog. I don't understand it and can't control it.! 

Have a wonderful day!
mary

17 comments:

  1. Loved the story about Dylan Alcott - thanks for sharing it! And your heart mug rugs are wonderful, too. Such nice gifts! I should make something like that for my mom. I saw your post about the State of the Union, and wanted you to know we agreed! Happy Thursday, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG the painting phenom is tooo wonderful for words! Hilarious! The one of he who must not be named holding the painting sideways... Bush painting the whole shebang gave me respect for him as a person!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was so impressed with everyone. I'm just not that clever. Glad you liked it. mary

      Delete
  3. Hi Mary! That pattern in the carpet looks like it should definitely be a quilt block or at least a quilting design. Pretty colors! Your heart mug rugs are so festive and finished so nicely! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and about G+ I went into my user area and changed back to blogger, and never changed it into g+ in the first blankety blank place! oy vey! my list of g+ 272 followers just went away... bye bye y'all... hope they find me again... my daily pleasure is communicating with blogland people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear-how frustrating. I'm sure they will come back to your site. It's just too much fun.

      Delete
  5. I am with you on the bottle lids! The carpet pattern is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list of likes for this week! I really like your Valentine mug rugs especially the last one. So fun. Hope you have a wonderful Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary, lovely and pretty likes. I adore hearts and after I finish the lilies, I think I will start in on hearts. Your stitching is so nice and even...I'm so wobbly, yes esp. with the machine.
    I have the same problem with caps...oh my I get so frustrated trying to break into things. Hubby says they've taken the child proofing too far. That and how tiny the print is on so many of those little bottles too, another pet peeve of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can't read half the ingredients lists on food items when grocery shopping! Guess I should carry a magnifying glass but my purse is already too big. Ugh. Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Have a great weekend. mary

      Delete
  8. Love those mug rugs. I agree that the carpet pattern is pretty cool1!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary - love your mug rugs, but they are so pretty that I think they need a better name than "rug". I am a huge Woodstock fan, so I like Thomas' mug mat the best! And thanks for your visit to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The woodstock mug rug is so cute! I have some fun snoopy fabric somewhere, I should dig it out! And that carpet really is fun. I love cool carpet patterns and frequently you can find them in museums or airports or convention centers. The carpet in the Fort Lauderdale airport and convention center is some of my favorites. Several different undersea prints used in different areas, kind of like planning a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great lists and I like the woodstock mug rug.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your mug rugs and that egret is the best thing on the internet this week! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Mary, I'm a little late to the game. Re: those Advil bottles, just don't tighten them all the way and they open easily. And I've found the rubbery shelf liner makes a great jar opener. I had a square left from cutting a piece to put under my sewing machine foot pedal and tried it on a jar. Worked great. Your Valentine mug rugs are very pretty.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete