Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Things I like Thursdays Mar 7

Greetings!

Hope everyone is having a warmer week!  Our weather here has changed to much warmer.  I only hope it doesn't get too hot, too fast. It's supposed to be 85 today or tomorrow.  We just had snow on the outskirts of the valley 10 days ago.  Gheeze.

Here are just few of my likes this week:

1.  Mimishui Scenic Area photo

This is in Pingshan County China . Unbelievably beautiful with the trees in pink!  I don't remember where I saw this on the internet but saved it to my PC the other day cause it was so lovely.

2. CNN's "Good Stuff" emails on Saturday mornings. Here's the link https://www.cnn.com/email/subscription .
 I receive email every morning during the week from CNN Newsletter  (5 things) and the New York Times (summarized version).  It's hardly ever good news but I like to know what's going on.
  On Saturday mornings-it's all good news and fun via this CNN newsletter.

3. Victoria quilt.  I finally finished this quilt from Knotting Hill layer cakes and the Cake Mix Recipe booklet- recipe 2.  It's small=47 x 55. The blocks remind me of crowns, so I named it Victoria. I love using the recipe booklets for making blocks.




Yes, that's my brothers slippers on the rug. A realistic photo for sure.

The lavender binding set it off well.


4. Validating my sanity-late but not forgotten.  So, I never heard that the increased cost  of distributing sugar went way up in 2011!!!   This forced manufacturers to increase the price and decrease the shelf product from 5 pounds to 4 pounds in 2011!!!

 I was in a hurry the other day and grabbed sugar at the local Fry's store (Kroger for others).  It was half the price of the C and H brand which I usually buy.



It was laying on the counter at home while I reached for my Tupperware container and I saw "4 lb".  Wait, What?
Well, no wonder it was cheaper.  Then I started thinking "wasn't the sugar bag  always 5 pounds?"  I had to Google that.  I was so shocked that "bags' of sugar changed years ago. But, I'm not losing my mind. Thank God.

It's the little things, people.

Other than that, things are fine.  Enjoy your week and leave a comment -I lovet o hear from you!  Please join us for more " likes"  at Lee Anna's site Not Afraid of Color.
Have a fun day
mary😊





12 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! Yup, the downsize just about everything yet keep the price the same. Even things like chocolate chips for cookies are slightly smaller now.Your Victoria quilt is beautiful and it looks wonderful hanging in the living room. That block surely does remind me of a crown, too. And purple/violet is the color of royals so good job keeping the theme going. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting news in brief updates too ever since I stopped reading a newspaper.
    I think everything has been downsized somewhat while not the prices.
    I just love your quilt. A Beauty there on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jocelyn for the kind words. That quilt was so fun to make. Hopefully, we can have good news today. Have a great weekend. mary

      Delete
  3. oooo that's happening a lot. If they don't increase the price, they decrease the amount hoping no one notices. I do like the name of the sugar, heh heh. Victoria is so good! Love it in situ with your pretty sofa it looks very inviting to sit and have a cup of tea. I'll be right over. We had wintery mix again last night, so there is a fresh layer of sleet, ice and snow on all the surfaces. Yea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will pay more attention to quantity on packages since this happened. (Like I can do anything about it). Thanks for the kind words on my quilt. I love looking at it everyday. Hope you can get out this weekend and get some fresh air! mary

      Delete
  4. Your Victoria quilt is wonderful! I haven't tried those cake mix papers yet, but I would really like to. I've noticed products that have changed sizes, but you can't tell until you look more closely or open it up. My recent surprise was graham crackers - I hadn't bought any in years, and the box looks the same, but you open it up and the crackers themselves are noticeably smaller!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt is beautiful...love the colors. 4lbs now...huh...I hadn't noticed either...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I buy sugar in the giant 20lb sack, but I had no idea there'd been a massive change in prices/packaging. Maybe that means I should pay more attention! Your crown quilt is so pretty and springy, it looks lovely hanging above your sofa! and that ice picture is amazing-- hard to imagine the beautiful pink trees next to the gorgeous frozen landscape! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your quilt! And slippers on the floor, isn't that normal in every home?? The pink against the ice is stunning. Everything is downsizing and going up in price.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Victoria is a pretty quilt! I am so tired of grocery stores shrink-raying everything. Yes, I remember 5lb pound bag of flour/sugar (and 1lb bags of coffee and egg noodles). That photo of the ice and pink trees is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lavender binding is the perfect touch for this royal looking quilt. Block pattern does resemble a crown. I like the triangle papers but have never used one of those Cake Mix recipes. Something to add to my ever growing quilty list. Every time I pour a bag of sugar into my 5 lb canister and see how much room is left, I try not to think about paying more and getting less. That first photo boggles my mind. A frozen waterfall and blooming cherry trees? How is this possible? Well, from snow to 85 degrees in ten days might explain it. Weather must be weird all over the world. Fun news is the best news. Thanks for sharing I like Thursday with me ... :-) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is lovely!!! I love everything about it! It looks great behind your couch. They do the same thing with coffee too (sugar).

    ReplyDelete