Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Things I like Thursdays Jan 3

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

We made it to another year. wow. Hope everyone survived and enjoyed the holidays. I'm ready for a long nap. I'm just plain exhausted from it all.  However, I do have a list of likes to start off our new year:

1. Sweater weather:
Check out our forecast!! Freezing overnight for several days now and more to come.  I'm covering my beautiful lavender and hope they make it. Luckily, we warm up everyday to the 50's.

2. Phone purse for my daughter's birthday
This one's about 6 inches wide and 12 long because she wanted to put a few extra  little things in there like ID,lipstick and keys.   I lost the pattern and instructions but was able to make it in a few hours yesterday afternoon by looking at my old phone carrier which is much smaller.  I haven't had much time to sew but was anxious to have this done.

3. MSQC package received!
I did have time before Christmas to check out some sales. I get so excited when they're delivered!
I ordered  fabric on sale before Christmas at MSQC  : 2yds Kona Snow, 4yds Gray/purple backing and a  Moda Gray junior jelly roll for binding for $60! The snowmen scissors were free. I gave the scissors to Thomas for Christmas cause they are left handed as well as right-score!

4. Caprese salad
This is so easy to make.  Sliced Roma tomatoes, pieces of fresh mozzarella and fresh basil.  Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. I took this to my son's home for Christmas lunch where we had homemade pizza. I like to serve it at room temp. Yummy.

5. Concentrated Chicken broth

I get tired purchasing cans of broth because they are heavy and take up room in my small cupboards. I originally tried this years ago at Walmart but they no longer carry it locally.  So, I ordered a case online thru Amazon.  It is the best brand (I also have the beef).  I just add 1 Tablespoon of the concentrate to a cup of hot water for  broth.  This way, I always have broth on hand in the fridge.

6. "Prime" from Amazon.  I finally broke down and got "Prime" on Amazon.  This is a service for about $12 per month for free shipping/delivery and it also provides entertainment/reading hookups which I have not used yet.  I hope the monthly fee is worth it.  Knock on wood-I've never had a problem with Amazon and like their prices.  They almost always deliver before the stated date.  I just worry about packages being stolen when we're not home.  Hopefully, that won't happen. And, I need to be careful not to order ore than we need.

Whew- guess I've been spending some money. I ordered some other fabric on sale from Connecting Threads so I'll post about  that when it comes. I had gone through  my stash and realized I needed backings, so I really scored with an average $5/yard  at Connecting Threads to solve that problem.

I usually have my holiday decos put away by now but need to save my energy for Thomas till he goes back to school on the 8th. There'll be plenty of time to start my usual January reorganizing.

Update: I had to go outside this dark morning in my jammies and coat at 6 AM because the winds knocked off the sheets covering  my lavender. It was 30 degrees out!  I don't know how ya'll do it in the cooler climates! I'm such a wuss.

I hope you are relaxing the rest of this week!  Please join us at Lee Anna's post for more "likes":Not Afraid of Color.  Lee Anna's posts are encouraging,  uplifting and adventurous.   Plus, all of our group is diverse in art and creativity. I feel  inspired to create even more in my life. I am so grateful for everyone sharing.  Hope you will check them out, too.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and kind words  on my little blog.  It means so much to me.

Have a great day!
mary🎇

10 comments:

  1. Happy 2019 Mary! I do enjoy your posts. I, too, was tired of broth cartons and now use the deep rich flavors of Better Than Boullion sold in jars (refrigerator. after opening). Great prices at Wal-Mart. Lots of flavors, even garlic, ham, etc. Some of those are easiest found on Amazon. Mix 1 tsp. with 1 cup water. I'm never going back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi May and Happy New Year to you. It sounds like you had a nice Christmas, and how wonderful is that iPad??! What a thoughtful gift for you. I heard on the news this morning about the snow in Arizona and thought of you. I sure hope your lavender is surviving - I think it is rather hardy though. Enjoy your last few days with Thomas - school will be back in session in no time. Happy Thursday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are many varieties of lavender but the ones I had in MD were both very hardy to cold. The ones here are too. They are currently covered in snow and open to the elements. Probably safe with yours. That broth idea is brilliant... always having it. I imagine it would really up flavor if not diluted, in some casseroles too. We love Prime... I love prime shows. I've watched a lot including Mrs Maisel. Go watch you'll laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my plants were covered for a week and about a quarter of them bit the dust so not too bad. Have a great weekend. mary

      Delete
  4. Hi Mary, as you know I enjoy your posts very much and always learn something in the bargain. I did not know about the broth concentrate for instance. What a splendid idea and to order it online so convenient too. I'll check if that is some thing I can do here. Our family also love Caprese salads. So easy too. I have been good about my fabric intake this Christmas...but must take a quick peek at Connecting Threads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jocelyn. I hope you are able to have the concentrate shipped "way up there' at a reasonable price. Have a great weekend! mary

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year 2019--with the festivities behind us (phew)!! we can snuggle down to some serious quilting--right? hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom has been telling me how cold it is in AZ - too "cold for golf" lol! My hubby wouldn't mind that at all! (In Colorado it has been frigid, but warmed up into the 50s today. I loved your MSQC package - you do have to stock up once in awhile! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great likes! That purse looks neat. The concentrated broth sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great likes. Kitchen accomplice, such a cute name. I have Amazon prime.....LOVE IT. I have a Kindle so I can borrow a book a month, I get a newly published book once a month, the shipping is awesome and Amazon TV and the Fire stick are lifesavers even though I don't watch much TV. I decided to cut my TV internet bill by 1/2. I have a Fire Stick on 2 TVs and a ROKU stick on one TV. With my Netflix subscription I am a pretty happy camper I don't mind spending the $113 a year isn't terrible.

    ReplyDelete