Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Things I like Thursdays Jan 17

Greetings!

So, I've been using Pixlr Express to adjust and sign  my photos since I started my blog almost 2 years ago, even tho it took almost a day to figure out how to use it.  The company is  now changing to a new format: PIXLR.  It is taking me awhile to become familiar with the new format of operations. UGH.  Bear with me on the photos.


It's been a great week (no surprises, no health issues, everyone is safe and sound in the family). Here's a list of my faves:

1.  HOUSE BLOCKS.  A squirrel attacked me about 10 days ago, and any chance I get, I sit and make a house block!





  They are such fun.  I saw this particular block on a website but can't remember where (sorry) but it  linked to the pattern at:Humble Quilts
Originally, these are designed for blocks to be mailed to Debbie"s Quilt Shop in California for CA Fire Survivors.   I'm confused - but it appears Diane Knott designed the pattern which finishes at 10 inches. You only need 2 1/2 inch squares or strips.  I leave a small, mixed group of scraps on the cutting table just for this project.

2. Backing purchased and  in the stash.  I mentioned last week I ordered backings averaging $5/yard from Connecting Threads cause it was such a great sale.


I got a subdued gray, small light flowers and a coral graphic.  I'm very pleased to have these in the stash and it saves me so much money! You can't go wrong with Connecting Threads

3. Rice Heat Pack.  I also managed to make another Rice Heat Pack to replace giving my daughter my own pack for her emergency heat pack for work.
I just used some leftover mini charms to make a 12 x 8 piece, folded it over RST ,stitched it up leaving one end open, turned it right side out,  filled with rice and closed the seam.  It was made in  less than an hour. When I need it for sore muscles, I heat it in the microwave for 1 minute. Plus, it's kinda cute just laying around.

4. My favorite tv series are back on.  Yay. Victoria on PBS, The Resident on CBS, Manifest and Amsterdam.  I have several new  shows recorded as well- like the CNN series on fashion history but haven't gotten around to watching them.

I hope everyone is enjoying this week and keeping dry.  It's been a pretty wet winter season all over, including here.
Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.  I 💕 them!

Please join us at Lee Anna's site for more: Not Afraid of Color

mary😏


9 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! I love Connecting Threads, and have ordered a few backings from them. Nice quality and great service, I'm also trying their thread but haven't given it a go yet. The house blocks look great and inviting. Using 2.5" scraps and strips - now that is definitely in my wheelhouse. We have lots of that size leftover. Happy Thursday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, I get the Connecting Threads catalogues and have always been happy with the fat quarter bundles I've gotten from them. Now you probably know I have a thing for house blocks. I love them and I love your idea of making them here and there like that. But right now I have to be good and continue my Lily blocks. Yes, isn't our favourite shows on tv the best thing esp. for stitching to. Have a continued good weekend now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, I no longer get their catalogues! I sew in my large bedroom but the tv there only gets a few local channels cause I save money by only having cable on the living room tv. I would be so happy to sew and watch my favorite programs at the same time. I don't think my brother would appreciate that tho. heehee
      Enjoy your weekend and stay warm!

      Delete
  3. Those rice heat pads are the best! Very kind of you to give yours to your daughter. Glad you were able to make yourself a new one. Good to have new TV shows to watch during these bleak winter months. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved Victoria this week, and New Amsterdam as well as Good Doctor. All were a bit intense though... right? Just watching Victoria made me fearful of revolution. Just saying that though... I remember my days as a Renn. festival wench, and the phrase "the peasants are revolting! so dirty and such bad manners!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm saving my taped Victoria for Friday night pleasure. I just love that show. I so can picture you acting in the festival!

      Delete
  5. Your house blocks are wonderful, Mary! I didn't realize they were made with 2.5 inch strips - I can see why you can whip one up so quickly. The rice heat pack looks handy! I'll have to remember your post so I can make some for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such pretty houses. Yay for cheap backing. I love my rice heating pads (I use winter wheat, though). Yours are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was actually concerned because I thought a squirrel bit you or something. Realizing that you were chasing one, makes me feel better. The house blocks are lovely and for a such a meaningful cause.

    ReplyDelete