Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Things I like Thursdays Jan 24

Greetings!

Hope ya'll made it thru some pretty tough weather!  We were fortunate enough to have good weather this last week.  If the weather holds, it will be just in time for our famous golf tournament on Jan 31st , Waste Management Phoenix Open.  Many people choose to move here after attending this event. It's called the biggest party on Tour. Last year attendance was over 719,000!  Even though I live about 20 miles from it, I will need to put up with ridiculous increase in traffic all week. It is fun to see the beautiful aircraft (owned by many players or visitors) that park at the Glendale Airport near me or the Scottsdale Airport closer to the venue. I'm not a golf fan but it is pretty to watch on  tv.  And, of course, Phil Mickelson went to ASU, so he's the home-town favorite.

In the meantime, I'll be meeting my daughter for her birthday today and pedicures.  Then tomorrow we're all going to the Az Science Center to see dinosaurs.  Very exciting week ahead.

Here's a list of my "likes" for last week:

1.  Udi's Frozen Gluten Free Ziti Bake.



  Many days, I don't have time or the inclination to cook.  But, so many foods contain items I'm allergic to which forces me to cook.  This does not !  And, their products are so yummy. Restaurant quality, about $8 on sale and takes about 10 minutes. Done and done.

2.  Flourless Peanut Butter cookies-therefore, Gluten Free.


I definitely don't bake anymore but my daughter made these delicious cookies  for me at Christmas.  I had to try baking them since she said it was super easy-she was correct!


FLOURLESS PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

Preheat oven to 350. Parchment paper on cookie sheet

1 C. PEANUT BUTTER
½ C SUGAR
1 EGG

Mix 2 minutes , roll 1 tsp and place on paper.  Flatten with fork. Bake 9-12 minutes-check at 10 minutes for slightly firm to the touch. Remove to wire rack. Cool 10 minutes.

Store in airtight container or 1 Gallon resealable bag. Makes 18

I can't believe they only have 3 ingredients! I do realize that's a lot of sugar by ratio. That might not be for everyone.  I only eat 2 small ones a day.
I was done baking.in less than 1/2 hour and no mess in the kitchen. Score.
I don't know where this recipe came from.

3.  Sally Hansen Insta Dri Nail Polish.


 I haven't painted my hand nails in years but one day while at Target, I decided I needed that. I usually keep my nails very short so I don't wound Thomas (diaper changing, facial care, etc) but this time I'd let them grow a little. This nail polish is the fastest drying I've ever seen and stayed on pretty good considering how many times a day I wash my hands or dishes.  I have old lady skin on my hands (so many spots I may have a tan soon and of course many hard- won wrinkles) so this made them a little prettier.  $4 at Target

4.  Secrets of Longevity by Dr Mao Shing Ni



I had seen Dr Mao on the Home and Family tv show.  I liked the way he thought and talked about caring for ourselves based on his research of  the healthy elderly in China. Many centenarians in China still practice Tai Chi. ( I'm lucky to walk a mile in my 70's).  I tried Tai Chi many years ago but it was difficult to remember the sequence of movements.  About a dozen people showed up at the first class and 2 of us at the second. The class was cancelled. I need to try it again.
 I'm not concerned with longevity as much as quality of life. I'm interested in ways to improve my health and underlying conditions, rather than just treating symptoms. Dr Mao is quite popular with celebrities and has been in the public many years, evidently. Dr Mao is a 38th generation doctor of Chinese medicine.
 This book was published in 2006 and I'm just now hearing about it. The book combines Eastern and Western approaches to a healthier, longer life, leaning heavily on what we put in our bodies as well as how we treat them based on Chinese influences.  I'm half way through the book and enjoy it.  Based on what I've read so far here and in other books and articles,  I need to  make some changes to my diet-- if nothing else! So far, I'm committed to incorporating more soups in our diet.  I have never been a souper but realize that it's an easy way to eat more veggies and I just need to experiment more.  It's all about me.  I've also added daily consumption of ginger tea on top of teas I already drink.
I purchased this book from Barnes and Noble for around $15.  It's well worth it.


Well, guess that's quite an eclectic list, but they affected my life in a positive way.  I sewed on my house blocks a little, but not enough to talk about.  Maybe I can get some sewing in this week.
But, I'm writing this on Sunday as I will be gone most of the week.  Go New Orleans Saints and Kansas City Chiefs.  Just sayin.  Update: Well, I sure know how to pick em. I probably won't even watch Super Bowl this year- I'll  sew instead.

I hope you can share some of your positive thoughts by joining us at Lee Anna's site:Not Afraid of Color. I know I love to hear from all of you!

Have a great week.
mary










8 comments:

  1. We felt the same way about the playoff results, Mary! Good thing we have the Waste Management Open as an alternative for TV viewing on Super Bowl Sunday. That's one of our favorite tournaments to watch. I make those peanut butter cookies for my hubby who is diabetic, using Splenda instead of sugar. They work great, and taste good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this eclectic list! I hope you enjoy the science museum, I love visiting them (dinosaurs are awesome!) and always like visiting our Natural History and science museums here. And the insta-dri nail polish looks like something fun to try! I'm so hard on my hands I seldom paint my nails but occasionally to dress up a bit, so I'll have to look into it! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing, I wanted ginger tea yesterday, but my ginger had mold growing on it even in the fridge! Oy! I want to start using it more often, my friend said it stops bladder infections she gets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary! I agree about the Super Bowl. I'm not watching cheaters - just saying. HAHA! Someone has to like that team but it would not be me. I love the nail polish suggestion!! Quick drying is cool - I love bright red-ish colors for my toes. My hand nails are in too bad of shape all the time, and my hands look similar to how you described your own hands. I don't know if there is any way around wrinkles and liver spots?? Too late for me, and I don't care. I have to throw a good review for Udi products - we use them all the time. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipe is right up my alley, so I shall try it over the next few days while we still have peanut butter. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THanks for the share on the gluten free product and recipes! I'm always looking for new things to give my husband who has celiac. Sounds like your neck of the woods will be rocking and rolling with the golf tournament. Go Phil!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love peanut butter cookies - those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cookies sound awesome. I think I made them once. The book sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete