Thursday, September 6, 2018

Things I like Thursdays Sep 6

Greetings!

Hope ya'll had a great holiday weekend.  I had my grandson here and we had fun. Then Monday, I was able to sew in the afternoon.  I can't believe how much sewing I've been able to do lately! I also have noticed my creative mojo is back since I've been reading my Quiltfolk magazine.

Here are some of my "likes" for this week.

1.  Old PBS shows I've been watching all summer.  I don't even care how long ago they aired because they are new to me- Grantchester,  Call the Midwife,  Inspector Morse,  Doctor Blake Mysteries, and Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries.
The latter takes place in Australia during the roaring 20's so part of my fascination is with  the costumes and design.  It's also fun to see a female sleuth in charge.
 All of these stories take place  many years ago with fantastic attention to detail of the times. This is such a great escape from reality of current tv.  Just sayin.

2.  My Hand Quilting is done:

The Falling Triangles quilt was machine pieced and then I hand quilted stitch in the ditch on all sashing  seams.  It took 8 months of occasional tv sewing to get it done.  I've never hand quilted before.  I liked doing it but my stitches on the back are not very pretty.  The top is fine.  I am impressed  how much softer this quilt is with this type of quilting.  This was a second quilt from leftover layer cake triangles from several years ago where I now added stash borders and backing.  It's bound in yellow Bella Solid. Here's the label

I felt it necessary to put "hand quilted" on it. LOL

3.  Sue's Disappearing 9 Patch quilt is started.
Here are the most common 5" cut blocks joined for the 9 patch.  Then I cut the block (about 14") in half horizontally and vertically ( so easy):
Aren't they sweet new blocks?

I  joined them into rows for a center of the top:
I'm surprised how much the green shows up in this photo.  I am going to add a narrow border (green or lavender) then a 5 inch mottled print border. The center is 39 x 52 before borders. I'm really liking these colors.


Well, need to get chores done and then to grandson's house.  Please join us at LeeAnna's for more "likes":Not Afraid of Color.  I appreciate you stopping by to see my little corner of the world and hope to hear from you.

Have a great week.
mary






13 comments:

  1. Hi Mary... We love PBS and British shows. So much that we got ACORN on Roku to bring in all the British Isles shows! We've loved also Murdoch Mysteries out of Canada, and 800 words from Australia. Your quilt is pretty. My very first quilting teacher said to make your hand quilting stitches the same size top and back, and even whatever length they come out to be. The point is to have them be even top and bottom for stability. I used to love hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lee Anna- that was my first try with no instructions. it was hard on my hands so I don't know if I'll do it again. Have a great day! mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love Call the Midwife! Haven't watched the others, but will have to check them out. I really like both your quilts, Mary! The "floating" triangles are really neat in the first one, and the colors in the second one are so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your disappearing 9 patch quilt colors--also your triangles look so pretty with that quilting; I am STILL lumbering along on my Pomegranates quilting..hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Disappearing 9 patch blocks. They are so pretty. And hand quilting! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great colors for your Disappearing 9-patch. I like to watch PBS shows too....not much on regular TV to entertain anymore. Enjoy your family time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work. I'm a quilter too. I try to watch quilting shows on Saturday but sometimes get distracted helping my husband or working in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of the shows mentioned, Grantchester is the only one we haven't seen. All the others we love and Hubby really likes Miss Fisher, LOL. Great shows to stitch to and I love that you finished your hand quilting. I find it very soothing to stitch like that esp. when you stop worrying about the size and length of the stitches. THose purples and greens are so vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary! That simple nine-patch looks so very different when cut in half both ways! It never fails to amaze me. I have had this on my make-soon list . . . it just hasn't made it to the top yet. I've never heard of a single one of those PBS shows, but they sound like a much better choice. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh. I like your quilts! We've been rewatching Shetland. PBS has some great shows!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such lovely quilts. I'm impressed with any hand quilting - such patience. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Purple and green really work well together. I am sure this will be a lovely quilt. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love PBS too. Actually we got Netflix for a free year and I am loving seeing all my favs there too! I love both quilts you photographed. The triangle is so clean and modern, my son would love that one! I adore the purple and green one, reminds me of fields of lavender. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete