Wednesday, June 3, 2020

I like Thursdays June 4

Greetings!

So, it’s even more difficult this week to list some “likes” . Jeeze  Louise. Are you kidding me?  It would be disingenuous for me to not say what I feel right now. I was literally sick to my stomach when I watched what happened to George Floyd last week. How was that possible with 3 policemen aiding and abetting that cop killing that black man. They have major problems with the police department there and it appears in other parts of our country.

I’m a product of the 60’s, so of course I’ve seen many protests but I think these are more difficult times.  People are mad, not working, have little income and are fed up.
There is looting, vandalizing and violence with total disregard to anyone else or the Coronavirus. I support the protestors and pray for justice reform. I’m so proud of the number of peaceful protestors .   But, this is really taking its toll on police , first responders, Business owners who literally opened days ago and now have nothing, curfews for a week here in Arizona .
  I will spare you my thoughts on so-called leadership. I might not ever stop writing .

On another upsetting note, our coronavirus cases went up again overnight by 1200! There are three non contained  desert fires outside of the city and 10 homes were lost so far.  It’ll be 111 degrees   tomorrow when I go for my mammogram.  That ought to be pleasant.   NOT!

This has to be a “B” movie.

Instead, I try to focus on some helpful people and support with these “ likes “ :

1. Cleo Wade. A poet and inspiring writer.  Here’s an excerpt from her writings on the subject of racism:

I think this is a good start to change.

Also, here’s her next book for this year:


2. Stories of compassionate people. Police kneeling with or marching with protestors.  Strangers inviting protestors into their homes.  Celebrities giving what they can in voice or material help.  Real government leaders having compassion and ideas to change our country to be more inclusive.

3. “Amy Schumer learns to cook“   on the Food Network Monday nights.  She is a comedienne and actor who recently married a James Beard awarded-chef.  She did not know how to cook and her husband, Chris Fisher  is teaching her in their kitchen. Hysterical and Informative.  The food isn’t fancy but looks real good.

4.  A fun and appropriate song from Rocky Mountain Mike: https://youtu.be/hURzmCEcP0k
      Enjoy.


I hope I haven’t offended anyone with my thoughts and truly wish you love and peace. Just keepin it real.   Please join us at LeeAnna’s site for more “likes”: Not Afraid of Color


Take care.
Mary




13 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! This is not our first rodeo of unrest, but it sure would be nice if we learned from our past mistakes. I don't think that is possible with this administration. But I see a lot of good in the peaceful protests. I am hopeful that dialogue among and between our family and friends can make a difference. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Mary, for voicing what I'm thinking, and sharing the effects in your state. It's been above 90 and going to be for the next week here. So hot. I like the quote so much, put action into belief. So many good people in America want to improve life but don't know what to do. Peaceful protests get ignored, violent ones don't help. I just don't know how to get leaders to respond in a humane way. Meanwhile there is Amy Shumer to make us laugh, and people like you to remind us there is a place for joy in our lives, and a time to act. Love, LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't offend me! But you did say exactly what I've been feeling this week. Sorry to hear that AZ case count went up so dramatically. We aren't out of the woods yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs!

    I loved the story of the guy who invited 60+ protesters into his home. Amazing. Yeah - this continues to be a WTF kind of year. Good luck with the mammo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, this was a wonderful post! I love that poem - such good advice. I'll have to go look for that book. There are good people everywhere, doing good things, and you are one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great likes and You found great positives. I agree what next? Aliens, or Zombie apocalypse? :D Great poem. Urgh Mammo...111 and no deodorant? I know I am giggling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saved the quote by C. Wade on my desktop. How perfectly written! I have a circle of people that I influence and that is pretty much my family....but it's a big family! Hope your dr apt goes well! And then enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been so confused and unsettled this week. It's hard to know how to be supportive when there are mixed messages being sent about what is appropriate and helpful to the cause of furthering antiracism. I don't think I could tolerate the kind of heat you are getting. Restrictions in New York for Covid-19 are being lifted gradually, but I still worry about venturing out for anything more than groceries. Be well and stay safe.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has been such a wretched week. Everything piling on more and more. I hope you stay safe and aren't affected by the fires and that your mammogram goes ok!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary. Thank you for the post and the reading. I appreciate it. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I meant to say before how much I like that Connecting Threads panel.
    Yes, it is tough to find things to be upbeat about isn't it. The world is going through a rough time, no doubt and we seem to be along for the ride.I appreciated what you wrote, Mary.Stay cool and hydrated and good luck with your test.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am thankful for your post, Mary. We can't be silent anymore about the elephant in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary, I agree with everything you said! I'm trying to stay positive and hope things get better. 2020 has not been good so far. Thanks for your post! Best of luck with the mammogram too!

    ReplyDelete