Thursday, April 16, 2020

Things I like Thursdays Apr 16


Greetings!

It’s been over 30 days self isolating and it’s starting to get old- just sayin.  But, we have it better here than most due to the nice weather! Sorry guys.  Just remember-in about 2 weeks we will be inside for 5 months due to the heat.

A couple corrections from last week (including a spoiler alert).  That book I recommended was a tear jerker.  Also, I have not  been able to find my favorite tea (Twinings lemon ginger)so I had to order it online and paid $10 a box due to shipping!!!  Oh well, I’m worth it.

Other than that, things are fine.  I am still ordering groceries by “pick up”.  And, most items I request are in stock.  A few things I ordered from Amazon took much longer than usual but at least they had it.

Here are a few likes I’ve had this week:

1.  This video on You Tube. Seal slapping!

https://youtu.be/sBCeHJ9eh_8


I sure hope this works for you-I just felt it was cute.



2. My favorite tea mug
I know- it’s a snowman-but here that’s a good thing.  Heehee

3.  Corona virus fabric masks for going out.  I tried making one but it was so uncomfortable. And, there were gaps on the sides.


So, I was able to get some made by a nurse thru a friend which are much better.


They fit good on me or my brother .  But, I’ve been using the paper ones to go to the pharmacy   for meds.  I already had the paper ones when I got sick last Dec and Jan.  They are so much more comfortable if I’m also wearing oxygen.  It’s a process.
BTW- we (the family) have been wondering if we had coronavirus in December and January because we were all so sick for weeks!

4.  Tuna Croquettes

So the photo is not great- they look like pancakes.  But, they were really good with tartar sauce, rice and zucchini for dinner the other night.  Growing up, my mom made salmon cakes on Fridays so I just figured I’d make tuna cakes.  It was a nice change of pace and everything was in the pantry to make them. Oh- it was very quick, too. Here’s the link. https://pintsizedtreasures.com/simple-tuna-croquettes-recipe/.  

5. Thomas coloring eggs via FaceTime.  







That is one happy boy coloring Easter eggs in the colors of basketball teams.  We finally figured out FaceTime, so we’ll be using that in the future. It’s fun.

I hope everyone had a nice week in this difficult time of lockdown.
Hang in there !
Mary






7 comments:

  1. So glad you figured out Facetime so you and Thomas and your kids can see each other! That kind of technology is so wonderful for these times. I have bought a Celestial Seasonings lemon ginger tea that I like, too, just in case you can't find your other tea. I'll have to go look at your video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuna cakes sounds really fun! I'm getting bored with my food options, but I have some tuna in the cupboard so maybe I'll make some. And I'm so sorry you couldn't find your tea! I actually bought a box of twinings lemon ginger at the store last time I was there because I couldn't find plain lemon, but it gave me heartburn! I drank most of it anyway, hot and tasty as you drink it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary! Thomas did a fabulous job on his colored Easter eggs. I always have thought that colored eggs taste MUCH better than the regular ones. Yippee to having masks that fit you well, and those tuna cakes look and sound delicious to me. We always had salmon patties growing up - that and corn fritters. YUM. I haven't had them in years. I'll have to give them a try. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, we have been using Facetime too and it is fun. Yes, I think it's vital that the face masks fit well. SIL got us some, not the N95 but good ones just the same. Since we haven't gone anywhere, we haven't needed them. I have made both salmon and tuna cakes...sometimes it's a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. But you do need some tartar sauce to go with them or yellow mustard pickles. Off to check out that video. I think our hair is the same colour of whiteish grey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, AMEN. I am so done with this isolation. OMG, the seal! LOL. I find the fitted masks are so much better than the pleated ones. I switch over to just making those now. Yay for colored eggs and face time! Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thomas's face is so sweet, the smile is awesome. How fun to be able to share his joy dying eggs via face time. LOL the seal. I need to make a fitted face mask.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made salmon cakes earlier this week, but they were a little dry. I remember making them with saltine cracker crumbs, but I only had Panko bread crumbs in the cupboard. My step-daughter made us lemon/ginger/honey tea from real lemons and ginger root when my husband and I caught colds while in Texas. It really helped.
    I'm going to have to break down and make myself a mask now that our governor has mandated everyone wear one when they leave the house. I only need one when I go grocery shopping. My husband bought some paper ones on Ebay, but I don't like them and they are too small. I'm afraid here in NY we will be doing this for a few more months.
    Ugh. And to add insult to injury it has snowed 3 days this week, with more expected tomorrow.
    Anyway, glad you are well and got to visit with Thomas on Facetime.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete