Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Things I like Thursdays Mar 26

Greetings!

Thanks to Lee Anna, we are focusing on things in our life that makes us happy each week.  In these uncertain and difficult times, we are desperately trying to find the good in each day. We are self isolating here in our home.  We miss spending time with our families and friends, but feel it’s smarter to play it safe, probably for another few weeks based on instructions from the medical and scientific community. I use Amazon Prime to deliver goods but it is taking much longer to receive the products.  I also use the local Fry’s for pick up of fresh produce, milk and bread. Ok, maybe some bakery products, too.  We’ve cancelled non essential doctor visits (physicals, dentist).  We walk our neighborhood each day weather permitting. I’m cooking a lot more. I just haven’t had the mojo to sew-maybe this weekend.

My son and daughter in law are both working from home which I’m pleased to see. Their home is like a resort- pool, spa, beautiful.  My daughter and son in law are both working at their jobs which makes me nervous.  My son in law works at a Non profit special needs care facility doing maintenance so doesn’t have a lot of personal contact; but my daughter works at an auto dealership where she does have contact all day long. The governor has listed her business as essential so they are not closing.  UGH.  All schools in the state are closed till April 10 (for now) and all non-essential businesses are closed.  The grocery shelves are mostly half -empty but the National Guard has been called up to stock the shelves because the grocery stores don’t have enough employees to handle it.  Unbelievable.


I would love to hear how you all are doing and dealing with this pandemic.  And, what you are doing to keep up a normal life that makes you happy.

Here’s a list of my things I’m grateful for this week:

1.  Buttermilk pie. Sorry, I forgot to take a photo.  If you’d like the recipe, let me know.  It’s like a firm custard pie.

2.  Fabric face masks made by hundreds of sewers all over the U.S. for the hospitals.  Go to decortoadore.net or Missouri Star Quilt Co for free easy patterns if you want to join in.  I believe you can call a hospital to find out where they need them.  The paper ones are preferred of course, but the fabric ones are better than nothing.

3.  A simpler life.  The other day I was driving home from the pharmacy and saw a family riding bikes together in their neighborhood. I had a flashback to the 60’s when it was much more common ,  at least here in Arizona.  It was sweet to see.  Many of us are cooking more and learning to live and play in our homes with our families. I’m even considering making bread- what a project but it might be necessary. Wish I’d kept my bread machine.  Some days self isolation is a drag, other days it’s quite good.  I do notice more neighbors cleaning their yards.

4.  Social Security and Medicare for us old folks.  I’m glad to be alive and taken care of!!  And no, I’m not willing to die to improve the economy- just sayin.

5. Easter decorations




The bunnies are out!  I just think they’re so cute. 

6. Spring Cleaning- the usual washing of rugs, cleaning blinds, etc.  I even did a tough clean of the kitchen cabinets with Orange Glo:

“Before “  of one cabinet

                        “ After “of a different cabinet- but you get the picture (lol)

I spent an entire afternoon cleaning the bottom ones. I  have no idea when I’ll get the energy to do the tops.  

I even remembered to check the oil in my SUV myself- haven’t done it for years but I don’t want to risk going to a n auto shop and catching the Covid19 virus. 



And one last note about the pandemic- I really like watching Mario Cuomo, governor of New York speak about what’s happening in his state and how they are dealing with it.  He is straight to the point and quite smart.  Other than that, I try to limit watching the news until supper time-it’s too frustrating. 


Well peeps, that’s about all for today-gotta get walking before it gets too hot-we are almost to the 80’s already! Hang in there and join us at Lee Anna’s site for more “likes” : Not Afraid of Color

Mary




9 comments:

  1. Oh I love your Easter decorations! I haven't gotten mine out, my whole brain is fried with the cancellation of church and missing Lent, but I think I'll definitely get them out this evening. Hooray. I'm staying very busy actually, working about half and half at work in my lab and at home as much as possible. I planted some flower seeds and my dahlia bulbs last night, that made me very happy and hopefully they will grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bunnies are reminding me that I need to change out my winter decor for the spring decor. I think I'll do that while the bread is baking. I was looking at my cabinets the other night and thinking they need a good scrubbing. My to do list is growing . . . maybe it's time to go sew! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary! You've shared some great likes this week. I love all the Easter decorations. Your cabinets looks great after Orange Glo. I think we have some of that - that sounds like a good project for this week. Take care. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your bunnies, Mary! That reminds to get mine out, too. I'm trying to get in the Spring Cleaning mode, but not very inspired yet, lol! I escape into books, mostly, and my hubby has kept busy with his genealogy research, since you can now log in to the library's system from home. I'm really thankful for all the free online services that are available right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bunnies are awesome. Nice job cleaning your cabinets. Having books available is awesome. Keep using the ordering system for your groceries. Wow we have been working hard to stock, we get it all out every night, now we are just waiting for the supply chain to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buttermilk pie - sounds good. Bunnies! The cabinets look terrific. Want to come here and do mine? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, yea for cuomo!!! reasonable... smart...caring
    Can't find egg whites nowadays, so no custard for me, we're seeing families riding bikes together too. Refreshing, even if it's just coping temporarily. You take good care Mary, we're all close even if we're far in distance.
    And I'm coping but just... hard to create because creation comes from joy and play and life's too serious now. I watch too much tv, sit outside on the porch, walk, chat on the phone. Finally found some TP but the shelves at grocery are empty, day after day.
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are being sensible and staying in. With your medical issues, it's vital to stay away from people, since you never know who may have the virus, but not be sick yet. We got home last Thurs from a 10 week road trip to TX and FL so I needed to restock the fridge with perishables. Didn't need paper goods, thank goodness, but couldn't find much meat. Found everything else on my list, but it took 3 stores to do it.
    I've put away the snowmen and the last of the winter decorations and have started getting out the spring items. Need to find the bunnies tomorrow. Trying to get in the mood to sew, but it's hard figuring out where I left off on several projects. I also needed to redo 7 blocks in a baby quilt flimsy after water was spilled on the folded quilt top and one of the reds ran. What a pain, but it's back together and now I need to find a backing.
    Take care now. We'll get through this, but things will sure be different on the other side.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you’ve been busy and very productive,Mary. I’ve never hear of Buttermilk pie; I will look that up. Never heard of Orange Glo either. My cabinets are white and I find them hard to keep clean.
    But you are so right ...still so much to be grateful for, despite the uncertainty out there.

    ReplyDelete