Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Thins I like Thursdays Dec 5

Greetings!

Yes, I gained a few pounds over the weekend which will go by the way from all the running around I am doing  this week.  Hope ya'll had a great holiday in the U.S. and a wonderful week for those around the world!
Thanks for stopping by to see my " likes" for this week and hope you'll stop by Lee Anna's blog to see more: Not Afraid of Color

Here are  my "likes":

1. Sally Hansen nail polish.  I hardly ever paint my nails and usually keep them short as they tend to get in my way (LIKE  TYPING  RIGHT NOW).  For some reason, I like them painted at Christmas time. So, while I was at Walmart last week I perused the nail polish options.  When did regular nail polish go to $7 per bottle?  Gheeze.  Anyway, I got this cute color for about $3 and it stayed on for 5 days-a record for me


2.  Pandora Music App on my I phone. I can choose all Big Band music or Christmas radio all the time.  It's free and I like it.

3.  Tune In app on my I phone for talk radio or CNN, NBC, podcasts etc. I can listen to news or talk shows while cleaning or cooking.  As you can see, there is usually something "on" unless I'm reading and taking a break.  I guess it keeps me motivated.

4. Gluten free dressing for Thanksgiving



It was a gift from my daughter- stove top easy and good.


5.   Plant  Protein Powder for breakfast.


Abut a year and a half ago, I was sick with several ailments for months and got pretty run down. My blood sugar was acting up for the first time ever, bronchitis would not go away and several other things (medical term). A friend suggested this plant derived protein powder mixed with lactose free milk each morning.   Increasing my protein  to at least 30 mg a day gave me more energy to start my day and lowered the blood sugar. I took it for months but stopped it when I felt better around Christmas. It's pretty expensive. I initially bought it at Sprouts for about $25 on sale-regular price was $30+  for 1 pound that lasted a little over a month.

 Recently, I  haven't felt that great and found the same product  on Amazon for half the price- $42 for 2 pounds. It was delivered in 2 days. just sayin.
I had also strayed from my expensive gluten free products occassionally  to real foods so I'm back on that train with more focus. I've chosen to think of this protein powder as a monthly medicine to justify the cost.

On that same topic of medical costs,  I have reached "the donut hole' of medicare annual costs for the first time since I've been on Medicare these 4 years .  It sucks. ( I know, not a "likes" topic but I need to address it).
That means my meds' total cost (me and insurance portions together ) exceed an allowable amount for the year and so now my 2 meds that normally cost $42 per month, now are $100 each for December.   At least I was able to make it to December without increasing the cost. I think that's a vague "like"


6. My Watercolor  Christmas Cards



I finally found a little time to make some Christmas cards and absolutely love them.  This group will go to a few people  and I hope to get back to painting soon to make more for friends and family.  I have not sent Christmas cards for probably 20+ years so this is new and fun .  The tutorial for these was from Ellen Crimi -Trent on you tube.

Ok, that's enough about my life.  How bout you?  What have you been up to? This is a busy time of year so don't forget to treat yourself to some happy time.

Yesterday, my daughter and I stopped everything in the afternoon (she had the day off) and watched White Christmas while eating  freshly baked cookies with hot tea.  It was my favorite "like".

Take care.
mary


9 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! $7 for nail polish? Wow! I haven't bought any in ages - I can't even remember that far back - but that sounds high to me. Pretty color you picked out for only $3. That sounds more like it! Oh, that darn donut hole. Sue's stepfather is in it right now and his medication expense went up to $600 for the last quarter. We helped him switch insurance and also got him on a prescription service so he orders meds for three months at a time now. Next year he should avoid the donut hole because of these steps. Do you have a supplemental insurance? Maybe you need to switch insurance - you can until 12/7, I believe. It might be something to look into. I'm sorry you have that added expense right at the holidays. {{Hugs}} Gosh, your Christmas cards are so nice and cute. I just adore the snowman head with the snowflakes falling. What a talent you have! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your little Cards--so neat==beautiful work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Christmas cards are beautiful! And I'm so sorry about your med costs, that's really frustrating! I hope the protein helps you perk back up- it sounds like it will. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your post, Mary. Thank you for mentioning that plant protein. I am going to check it out...I'm having minor but ongoing stomach issues and am casting about for what to do to improve. Maybe I am sensitive to some of these common culprits; I do limit dairy and bread but sometimes it creeps back in. I love your last like best too. Sounds like a lovely memory. But very sorry about that Medicare loophole. Medicines are frightening expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We like those radio apps on our devices, too, Mary! You can listen to all kinds of different shows that way! Glad you're finding ways to feel good that aren't just medicine, but at the same time I'm sorry about that donut hole business. Frustrating! Your hand-painted cards are lovely! Time with your daughter - priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually have music on, but nothing with talking because I can't usually understand it and find it annoying. That nail polish is pretty; 5 days would be good for me too. Love your Christmas cards! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty nail polish. I don't even bother, I am constantly breaking or chipping nails. I do my toes though. I know polish is so expensive. LOL I like your sort of like. Good way to look at the positive side of the medical cost thing. My favorite though is your cookies, hot tea and watching White Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooo no... I've heard we have the best medical care in the world... lol as I know better. Your cards are really pretty and good work !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those cards! Sorry about the health stuff. Yay for running around? :-)

    ReplyDelete