Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Things I like Thursdays Nov 21

Greetings!

We are having solid rain for three days!  Yesterday, today and tomorrow. We've only had half the annual rainfall ytd! ( annual is about 8 inches and we didn't even have 4 before this).  We definitely need the rain.  Luckily,  it's light but steady and temps in the 60's. 

  I don't like to drive in the rain so I'm staying home putting up Christmas decorations and making Green Chicken Enchilada soup in the crock pot.  This is a nice day.  I belong to a Christmas Group on Facebook and have been watching many people decorate for Christmas.  I usually decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving but since it's late this year, I'm doing it now.  Oh, such fun to do the things that make us happy

Here is a list of my "likes" for this week:

1.  My apple/potato peeler. I've been peeling, slicing potatoes for scalloped potatoes with my machine:




I use it weekly for my apples but finally tried it on potatoes.  I haven't figured out yet how to peel and slice only.  There is a way not to core it, but I just sliced up the core as I was in a hurry.This machine is a life saver for me as my thumbs are in constant pain.

2. My new phone- an Iphone 8. My old 6S (about 5 years old) finally wasn't working well or hooking up to the wifi!  I was lost for a few days without my phoen and ipad and finally gave in to go to Sprint for a new phone. I got a rebuilt Iphone8 for 18 months lease at $11/month. Score.  As part of the deal, I got a free new Ipad due to a "special" running for the weekend. Here's the Ipad:


Some of you may remember I got an Ipad as a gift last Christmas and have been learning to use it all year.  I decided now to pay approximately $15/ month for cellular data in addition to  WIFI for the new Ipad.  This is much more dependable in my house.
The bad news is- I have to set up all my stuff on the new Ipad.  After I clean out the old one, I'll set it up for Thomas to use when he's here. This has all been so time consuming!  I spent the entire day last Friday dealing with phones and Ipads! I think I'm ok now.(heehee)

3. Walmart fabric. I know-surprise. I needed dark green for a Christmas tablecloth and couldn't find one online so I was at Walmart and found these:



One yard precuts for $3.00 each!  The quality is very good = as you can see it's from Waverly.  I don't care for the fat quarters at Walmart but these one yards are nice and ridiculously priced.  I got 2 and pieced a 55inch square tablecloth in an hour or so. I saved a lot of money and running around.

4. Christmas centerpiece (on the new tablecloth) for the kitchen table.



I had the pinecones and some trees.  The place mat, green tree, red star was purchased at Pier 1 a few weeks ago.

5.  Blue lights for the living room:


I spent all day Saturday cleaning the living room top to bottom and trying to hang blue lights by myself in the living room. .  As you can see I was listening to Chef Rick Bayless on the Simply Ming show.  My hips don't work for up and down climbing so it was a real process but I got them done.


This was the best photo I could make after about 10 tries!  I have a difficult time with night shots on my phone.

That's about it for this week.I'll show more deco results next week.   Hope you enjoyed a peek into my "likes". Please join us at Lee Anna's site for more:Not Afraid of Color

Have a great day!
mary



9 comments:

  1. Love those blue lights and a very nice Walmart green...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blue lights! My daughter in Peoria is loving the rain! I need to check our Walmart for those 1 yard cuts - thx for sharing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an apple peeler somewhere and now I want to drag it out for potatoes...great idea! My new iphone takes great photos so I think you'll love it, but what a pain it is to set up new electronics. I remember my parents calling us to help them set up their VHS, now we call our kids. LOL I have the painful thumb thing and wear a brace and go in for steroid shots in them. It helps a lot. Thanks for sharing your likes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary! I never thought about using the apple peeler for potatoes! What a great idea. I have an iPhone 8 as well - it works great and takes nice photos. Much better than the 5 I upgraded from. Love the table decor - those are huge pinecones. It look so nice on your green tablecloth and red placemat. Very festive. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't even realize you could purchase a peeler! I love that idea. I don't even have a smart phone because I'm a dinosaur and have an old little phone that acts like a phone. You got a great deal.Your table top is so pretty, very artistic, and the blue lights are too. I saw some on trees in front of someone's house this week and thought how nice for all the winter to see their delicate color. We're getting three days of water but in snow form... again. What a wintery fall... LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  6. New phones and tablets do take up so much time to set them up! Once you're done, though, they're fun to use. Love seeing your Christmas decorating - the blue lights are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huzzah for a new phone. A friend of mine swears by her peeler. I love your blue lights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love reading and seeing Christmas decorating...makes me happy. I know what you mean about a new work tablet...I'm still sorting out things on my new Acer and know there is so much it can do that I won't ever figure out. I used to have an LL Bean apple peeler, It worked like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can so relate to the time suck setting up new phone or Ipad. LOL Then there are IOS updates that just mess everything up totally. Like your peeler, center piece and the blue lights.

    ReplyDelete