Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Things I like Thursdays Sep 12

Greetings

I hope everyone is healthy and happy.  Welcome to my blog.  I so enjoy your comments.  So, here we go on my list of likes for this week:

1. My Hydrangea Dream quilt.  Over the 3 day weekend I grabbed a (11)fat quarter bundle from my stash
Aren't they pretty?  The light blue is a Bella Solid Baby blue  jelly roll for sashing and binding.
I wanted a larger quilt for my bed and love this fabric from Hydrangea Dreams by Wilmington .
I cut the fat quarters into 6.5 x 9.5 blocks and sewed them into rows .  I added the blue sashing between rows
Then I added a beautiful blue-green Tonga Batik backing from Timeless Treasures called Oceana Rip Tide for the backing. .

Here is the finished quilt.  I love it.  I made the quilt in 3 days but had to wait 3 days for additional binding to arrive in the form of another blue jelly roll. I finished it last night. I machine stitched the quilt on all four edges and then tie quilted with embroidery thread. .
It's 55" x 75"


2. My Blue Trees Painting. My colors for Christmas in the living room were blue,white and silver the last 2 years and I really liked it.  So, I wanted to make a painting to carry that theme.
They are not as delicate as I wanted but they do have the colors after much trial and error.

3. Christmas squares found in a drawer. I think I made many (like 40)  different design squares  2 years ago, got frustrated cause I couldn't make them work together and stuck them in a bag in a drawer.

closeup of the different blocks :





The deer is my favorite.

16 of the blocks were 4 squares  so I sewed them  into a mini quilt with a small gray border.  It's backed with a Riley Blake black and white holly print. The mini measures 24 X 24.  It just needs binding.

And the rest of these found squares I plan to make a Christmas door hanging at the end of my hallway.
Isn't that a cool idea?

As you can see, I finally found time to sew!  My brother who lives with me is now facing surgery in October to remove his cancerous prostate so I immediately turned to sewing to de-stress.

Please join us at Lee Anna's site:Not Afraid of Color for more "likes".

Have  a great day!
mary



6 comments:

  1. Loving that hydrangea quilt--nice collection; and lovely Christmas mini
    hugs, julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! Oh, that hydrangea fabric is so pretty and what a great quilt you made. And so quickly! I love the idea of a door hanging. I almost always have one on the front door, unless I get a wreath from the Boy Scouts. I don't know any Scouts this year so I might need a new hanging myself. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you have been a busy lady. I will keep your brother in my prayers. Are they removing his prostate? My dad had stage 4 about 10 years ago and he had his completely removed. The hydrangea quilt is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. first of all we wish your brother a complete recovery. I LOVE your quilting!!! I like the idea of big blocks on the floral one. The different squares of christmas can be put together like an improv quilt with joining strips to make the sizes work together or your idea of several quilts is brilliant. The blue trees painting is delicate, the tiny white blossoms on the trees, it's all fresh and cool looking and will do well with your theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty quilt - that backing is great. Your Christmas blocks are very nice. Good luck (and health!) to your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO sorry to hear about your brother, Mary and the impact on you too. Can only hope that surgery will be a success for him.
    Boy, you work fast with the quilting. I need you to drop by here and give me a hand! Hydrangea dreams is a beautiful one for your bed.
    Your found blocks are lovely; they will make a perfect Christmas hanging.

    ReplyDelete