Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Things I Like Thursdays Apr 11

Greetings!

I hope you all are enjoying Spring by now.  We expect 96 degrees tomorrow. You thought I was kidding on our short spring last week, huh?  This is going to be a crazy busy stressful week with an MRI for my brother, surgery for my daughter and then prep for a test for me on Sunday.  It never stops.  But, I do have some likes for this week before all the drama:

1.  I went to an all- day WIP sewing at a new location, The Flying Pig studio in Phoenix. It was lovely.  The owner built a large studio behind her home and was very smart in her design.  There was even a parking area for about 10 vehicles. One room contained ample area for 2 long arms.  There was a small kitchen and bathroom.  There was a 6 foot by 6 foot square cutting table with two hanging iron stations.  The last area was a long table-probably 20 feet long for sewing stations.   I forgot to take photos.  There were 2 double screened doors on two walls so we were able to have cool fresh air with the sound of lovely wind chimes in the background.  It was very Zen.  But, by 3PM,  I was getting a headache from my pollen allergies. I enjoyed the company of 2 fellow quilters from our old closed LQS which is really why I go. And I did get a WIP done!


2. RSC 2018 top for H2H is done:


It felt good to get this second top ready for mailing. It's 50 x 70 per the charity's request. The colors are really bright and cheery. I will miss it but I'm glad to send these tops to cheer someone.

3.  Call the Midwife and Mrs. Wilson on PBS.  I've been watching Call the Midwife for a few years and love the  60's vibe as well as the inspiring women.  Mrs. Wilson is only a 3 part series but the first episode was packed with info and intrigue. The story runs from the 40's through the 60's about a married mother who discovers secrets when her husband dies suddenly. s usual with PBS, the acting is perfect.

4. Beauty and the Beast.  The live action remake  from 2017.  There was nothing on tv to my liking so I started watching this movie.  It was a beautiful, romantic musical.  Dan Stevens from Downton Abbey played the Beast.  Unusual casting I must say.  But, he did a great job as well as Emma Watson being  Belle.  The effects and photography were outstanding.  It cost $255 million dollars to make!  But, it made 1.2 billion dollars. just sayin.  Of course, I had no idea it was even out there and so well portrayed the original book and animation.

5.  Fattoush.  The dictionary states this is a Middle Eastern dish with explicit vegetables and croutons.  But, anyone can make their own:


I used chopped lettuce, peeled and finely chopped English cucumber and  radishes, then added  sliced white seedless grapes. I do like adding a fruit each time.  I toasted 2 slices of  gluten free bread and chopped them also. You could toast the stale chopped  bread in a skillet with butter but I was in a hurry.  The dressing was made with 2 Tablespoons each of honey and virgin olive oil with a tsp of lemon juice.  I tossed the veggies with the dressing  and refrigerated it for several hours.  This is so light and refreshing. The joy of this recipe is choosing different fruits and vegetables each time-especially using what's on hand in the fridge. Also, i did not add any spices or salt and pepper but if I had some fresh mint, that would have been even better.


6. Relevant Bloggers.  I was shocked by a recent post from the Snarky Quilter's (Joanna)blog post the snarky quilter.  Talk about relevant to today's events.  The rugs made in Afghanistan:


This one is made showing a bus, tanks and helicopters from the war!  There are many more rugs depicted on her blog post.  Stunning.
 Joanna is a wonderful artist and I enjoy her blog but this post really made an impression on me.  Hope you enjoy visiting her site as well.

As you can see, I did have some down time to complete the hand sewing alterations on my daughter's 8 pairs of pants and a skirt while watching tv.  I doubt I'll have any sewing time this week so I'll be happy when the following week comes and I can get back to some "me" time.

Enjoy your day and thanks for stopping by. Please join us at Lee Anna's for more "likes" at Not Afraid of Color

mary😍

9 comments:

  1. Your quilt looks amazing! It's so cheerful and happy! Thanks for sharing about the rugs, very interesting read. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! What a fun and pretty charity quilt you finished. And that gathering place for you and your friends sounds like a wonderful quilting place. It's nice when it can be designed with a purpose in mind instead of fitting into what is available and making do. Good luck with all of the tests and procedures. I hope they all go well. Happy Thursday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool stuff this week! That work space sounds amazing. You're quilt looks great. My TiVo has Midwife and Mrs. Wilson queued up - I need to start watching that (and Unforgotten, too). That rug is so unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your RSC 2018 quilt! Glad you had some time and a lovely sewing venue to sew in. We love Call the Midwife, and are so glad to have it come on again! I didn't watch Mrs. Wilson, but now wish I had - maybe there will be reruns of it. We like Unforgotten, too - like Sally mentioned. That salad sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting your RSC piece together. It looks so nice. That salad sounds wonderful, I love homemade croutons of any kind. No we do not have much of spring but the snow is disappearing and the sun is bright. Sounds like you really enjoyed your quilting outing. Good luck with whats on your plate to get through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow interesting rug. We had a salad this week that someone had made sugared almond slices and threw them in. It was really good and may be fun in a fattoush. Your RSC is lovely. Call the Midwife was one of Jeff's favorite shows. Your quilt day out sounds like a wonderful venue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm late to the party but I'm here, pass that salad! Looks good. I recorded Mrs Wilson but haven't watched yet.Love the midwife books as well as the show. Just hearing the music makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary - glad you were able to connect with some of your former quilt group; always a good time. I hopped over to the snarky quilter - that is shocking. I can't imagine wanting to include such objects in my art, but if there is a call for it? Joining you from I Like Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The completed quilt top from RSC 2018 is indeed very cheerful. I am sure it will bring joy and comfort to the recipient.

    ReplyDelete