Wednesday, March 27, 2019

I like Thursdays Mar 28

Greetings!

Hope you are enjoying spring! It will be around 90 here tomorrow. Just sayin.
The bad thing is the pollen count is extremely high so I can't go out much.  Ugh.

Here is a short but fun list of my likes this week:

1. The Church Craft Fair in Glendale Az.    The wind was really bad so I couldn't get good photos.   I felt bad for the vendors.  But, I did get a new hand carved ruler holder:



It is redwood and I talked to the man who carved them-he didn't know what they were till a woman asked him to make one and they sell like hot cakes-they're so beautiful and will last forever.  Oh-$10.  We hadn't been to a craft fair in a long time so it was still fun for my daughter and I.

2.  Happy Birthday Pennant Banner for my daughter.   One night at 2:30 in the morning,  I couldn't sleep.   So, I lay in bed making notes of how to make this for her home since she has all the birthday parties  for the family at her home.


I changed notes as I went along in case I make another one for each holiday (which is her wish).


It took me a while to determine length and width of each pennant to contain those pretty Silhouette Happy Birthday letters I bought.  I used Kona Snow layer cakes from the stash and sewed 2 pennants RST for each letter.



LOL-this looks like I'm ready to do surgery. These are the tools I had to use to turn all the corners after sewing the pennants right sides together. It took me 3 days to just make the 14 pennants!



Here they are above with the letters arranged and ready to iron on the letters.

Appliqued with zigzag right down the middle because some of the pieces were so narrow, they would have puckered. I  used a variegated thread on top and white in the bobbin.
Now, how to attach the pennants to a binding , string, ribbon or tape? Years ago, a lady at work gave me about 25 packages of bias tape when she was moving out of her home!


I've only used maybe 2. Unfortunately, many are extra wide so I didn't want to use those.  But, I got lucky and there was one white narrow double fold bias tape.


I figured out I needed about 7 feet of tape, left a little for a hanging loop on one end and  just slid the pennants inside the fold and sewed it down- one at a time very carefully and in order (haha).  I made a loop for the other end as well.
And here it is:


I just realized I shouldn't  have used a white wall as background and should have faced the banner straight on for the photo instead of from the side!  Oh well, it's gifted and she is so happy with it.   Me too. She can use it for all those birthdays on an entrance spot. ( It should last a lot longer than paper banners).  And, it will be against a light green wall.  It was a lot harder to put together than I anticipated because of my thumbs not cooperating.  I packed the banner in a small decorative  "Happy Birthday Box " so she could pack it away for storing and find it easily.
This was a labor of love.

It was a busy week with Thomas here for Spring Break, so no other sewing got done- not much cooking or cleaning either, meaning I worked my butt off over the weekend playing catch up! Haha
Hope you enjoyed my first try at recording my adventures of the project.
Have a great day and join us at Lee Anna's:Not Afraid of Color for more "likes"!

Hope to hear from ya'll.
mary😊

10 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! What a clever and perfect idea. I love how you showed us all the details. It turned out just great. I think I might need to make one some day - it's very festive. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fine banner! I'd love to see that on my birthday... maybe with a big ole' cake under it! Clever use of bias tape too...and good idea to do a pretty zig zag over the skinny letters
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vote for the cake, too! Thanks for the encouraging words! Enjoy your day. mary

      Delete
  3. That banner is wonderful and such a great idea! I can just imagine how it will pop out against a light green wall. So kind of you to make it for your daughter. Hope you are enjoying your Thursday so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your birthday banner is just great, Mary! I love that planned it out when you couldn't sleep - I do that, too. Looks to me like that bias tape worked perfectly to hang it from. Your ruler holder looks wonderful and so useful! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Happy Birthday pennant is the best present ever!!! It will last forever and be joy-giving as long it is there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, your middle of the night musings are much more productive than mine! THis is gorgeous and what a great present. You did it so beautifully with perfect stitching. That ruler holder is quite a good buy, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, that middle of the night brainstorm was unusual. LOL Thanks for the kind words. I was so thrilled to meet the husband of the crafter who made that ruler holder-his wood work was stunning. But I was thrilled with the plain ruler holder. Have a great day! mary

      Delete
  7. Pretty pennant. I love the ruler holder! I bet they sell like hotcakes! I want one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary that pennant is AWESOME! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete