Thursday, December 6, 2018

I like Thursdays Dec 6

Greetings!
Welcome to December.  EEEK! I can't believe it.  Anyway, we are moving along towards the holidays so here are my likes for this week:

1. MARS-the tv show.  I found it by mistake and love it:
Evidently, the program started last year but I'm now watching this season. As you can see, it's a documentary and fiction series.  The documentary shows what is currently  happening on earth regarding discoveries of our own planet while scientists and astronauts are also planning the trip to Mars. The science fiction aspect is pretty cool depicting  private and government colonies building and living on Mars.

Adult kids who takeover family gatherings.  Can I just say a big thank you?  I entertained our family for over 20 years and gave up Thanksgiving family meals about 5 years ago.  I kept the small Christmas family gift lunch the weekend before Christmas so my son and daughter could meet other in law obligations and there own Christmas family time at Christmas Day.. But, this year I turned that over to them as well.  I am blessed that both my kids are good cooks and hosts. My house is too small  for 10 people and I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

3. Extra quilts on hand for emergency gifts:
This was my Lulu  quilt made  earlier in the year. Last week,  I sent it to my daughter's best friend who lost her 33 year old special -needs son who passed away last week.  We are all devastated for her loss.
My daughter called me and asked if I had a quilt to wrap her in love.  Isn't that sweet?


4. The FLAG hanging quilt. 
I made this for my son who was a Marine for 13 years and his two sons who are in the Army.  It is a panel so it was pretty quick to quilt.  I made holders in the back corners to hold a half inch dowel for hanging.

5. Crock pot baked potatoes
Just wash and prick potatoes, rub with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and wrap in foil. Cook on high 4 1/2  hours.
I just threw them in there with no meal in mind and keep them refrigerated either for breakfast or dinner during the week.  SOOO easy.  Just don't forget about them-just sayin.

That's all for now, still have errands to run before taking care of my grandson.  Hope you are all enjoying your day!  Please join us for more" likes" at Lee Anna's site:Not Afraid of Color.

Enjoy!
mary

12 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! As one of the adult kids that took over the holiday celebrations, I can say that I was thrilled and happy to do so. My mom used to host for years, and then I said why don't I do it mom? I think she was pleased and happy to let it go. We've hosted for years now - we're not quite ready to give it up yet. Sue's mom still makes something for the buffet - like ham that I buy for her and she prepares. Plus she always makes Jello fluff! Aww, how sweet that you could give your daughter's friend a quilt. Wrapping her in all of your love is so special. I'm so sorry for her loss. Get out of town! You can cook baking potatoes in the crock pot?!! Well, of course you can - I just never thought of it. Sweet! Enjoy Thomas! Happy Happy Thursday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you had a quilt just ready to give away - a very loving gift to give someone with a loss like that. Your flag quilt is wonderful, too! It's great that your kids took over the Christmas get together - you have a really great family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a stashed quilt to share to someone in such a devastating time of loss! One of the ladies in our knitting group has a spare quilts closet for things like that, but I don't make things that fast!! Have a great week, and I'm super glad you don't have to cook the big dinners anymore! Hooray for passing on traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh a love quilt to give. That's so special. And giving over the reins so you can now relax and enjoy is a GREAT thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeeAnna. Yes, giving up that tradition was a relief and the kids seems to enjoy so that's good too. Have a great weekend. mary

      Delete
  5. How great to have a quilt on hand. Crock pot potatoes - never thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree quilts on hand for emergency gifts is awesome. How great the next generation is taking over to do the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great likes. The kids taking over the holiday obligations is a biggy. I'm lucky that SIL loves to host both families for get togethers. Those quilts are wonderful and the flag panel so special. I also roast extra potatoes and forget about them. I do the same with boiled eggs. GRR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jocelyn. I thought I would regret giving up the dinners but it's actually a relief! HaHa. I do the same with boiled eggs.
      oh well. we're doing the best we can.
      Have a great weekend. mary

      Delete
  8. What a terrible loss!!! What a meaningful gift. I am sure she will comforted every time she wraps herself in your quilt. Sending hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never tried crock pot potatoes! Must do! I love your projects! Your quilt to your daughter's friend is lovely. It's such a hard loss and having a hug to wrap around is wonderful gift. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your daughter's friend's lost. I just can't imagine. What a kind and thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete