Thursday, October 4, 2018

Things I like Thursdays Oct 4

Greetings!

Hi all. We're finally drying off after Hurricane Rosa gave us almost 3 inches of rain here in the desert.    That much rain has no where to go with our rock soil so streets were flooding. Our annual rain is 9 inches.  Hopefully by this weekend, we will be back to normal. Other than that, here's a list of my "likes" for this week:

1. "Abbey Charms" quilt almost done.  It just needs a binding.  I hope to join it with others for the Florence relief project. It measures 49 x 48 and is made from the MSQC Charms on Point pattern with 2 charm packs of Lady Sybil Downton Abbey fabric by Andover.  I love this pattern but it finishes into a small quilt:

The backing is a lily pond piece I got at Joann"s many years ago:
I added a 5 inch border to the front from a large piece of beautiful extra wide fabric I had on stash from years ago but I don't know what's wrong with it. It stretched all out of shape. I've never had that happen with cotton before. There was no name on the selvage. weird.

2. My new issue of Quiltfolk.

This one is all about the state of Michigan and all the lovely talented people making quilts there.

3. My 3 new Diabetes books:
I'm borderline diabetic and want to control my blood sugar readings with diet and exercise.  I got a little carried away on my trip to Barnes and Noble. I'm a big Betty Crocker fan so I was really pleased to find that book even  I have other cookbooks from there as well as emails everyday from Betty Crocker on ideas for cooking.

Well- people, gotta run. Hope you are enjoying fall. Please join us at Lee Anna's weekly "likes" post:Not Afraid of Color.

Thanks for stopping by!
mary



9 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, great post, I so applaud your efforts to stay in the pre part of diabetes. Hubby is there too and he uses Metformin and tries to be good with his diet. But keeping up with all the information out there is important as new findings are being uncovered every day.
    Also how sweet to donate such a lovely quilt with such pretty fabrics.
    So good to have something fun to look through. I checked and our Zinio is not carrying QuiltFolk but has several others. Hope you're all dried out by now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hat is off to your hubby taking Metformin. I took it for 4 days and got deathly sick. It made my blood sugar worse. Now, I'm better just exercising and eating smarter. But, it's hard eating well. heehee.

      Delete
  2. yes I've seen lettuce leaf borders before. It could be in the measuring... one must measure carefully down the center of a quilt for length of outside borders and fit them to the outside even if the measurement is different. Or it's that the cut might not have been on grain, and a bit bias. Usually it's the measuring, and I've made the mistake, but just sewing on a strip and cutting at the end. Doesn't work. The quilt sure is pretty though and each one teaches us something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary! I get the BC emails too. Wow, that's a lot of rain for your guys to receive from one storm. Too much for the ground to absorb. I'd be interested in hearing about the recipes you try and like from these cookbooks. I am not diabetic but know that changing my eating style would do no harm! Happy Thursday to you! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your quilt. That backing is pretty. Have fun with your cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors of your Abbey Charms quilt, Mary! It's really nice of you to donate it. Someone will really love and appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Healthy Makeover book has some yummy recipes. The quilt will be so appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne- I hope I have more time to read this weekend- it's been a busy week.

      Delete
  7. I wondered what state the new quilt folk was, I still need to sit down and read my Arizona edition- I'm so far behind! Your charm quilt turned out really pretty- those soft colors are so nice. Are you guys cooling off at all out there?

    ReplyDelete