Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Things I like Nov 1

Greetings!

Hello everyone. This has been such a difficult week for our country but I must tell you my "likes" or I'll just be an upset lady everyday. We need to focus on the good in our lives and do what we can to provide good vibes to others..  Please join us at Lee Anna's post Not Afraid of Color for more positive vibes.

Here we go:

1. Journalists and reporters who forge on to report the news of the day.  This cannot be easy when they and their families are being threatened.  If not for them we would not be aware of all that is happening. Granted, it has not been all happy news but we can't live in darkness, either.

2. The amount of love expressed from the survivors, families and friends of the victims of those shootings and bomb threats. I am in awe of their faith and love.

3. The right and responsibility to vote here in the U.S. (Sometimes we need a reminder).

4. My newest "squirrel"  I found a group (16) of QAYG blocks in a drawer that were leftover from a quilt I made my son years ago. It's the only QAYG I've made as I did not like making a quilt that way. I had cut the blocks to the wrong measurement and then just stashed  them away. I took them out and put them on the design wall:
Some of the blocks needed batting attached so I completed them. I knew I could use them all as a center of a quilt and just add borders.  Don't call the quilt police, but that's exactly what I did -without batting.
This made the quilt much lighter which is great for our warm climate.  I just sewed a gray backing to the top -right sides together- and stitched it together. No binding. I turned right sides out and top stitched the edge and quilted righted down the center blocks in a "T". Done and done. I don't think I spent but 3 hours on the whole thing. My grandson will be thrilled as it is on his bed here in my home. And, I cleaned out some stash.

5. "Moon and Back" blocks for a Christmas gift.  I found the panel at my local quilt shop.


 I'm making a book for my great granddaughter who is 10 months old. I've not made a book before but it looks easy. This is my first handmade Christmas present for the season! I'm way behind. That darn cooking and cleaning keeps getting in the way.

6. Donating quilts to the Disaster Relief Team for those affected by Hurricane Florence.  I finally mailed 3 quilts off  after adding labels and washing them.  That felt really good.

As you can see, most of my "likes" this week involved sewing- what a great stress reliever. And, we're providing joy to others.

Best wishes to everyone and stay safe.
mary








14 comments:

  1. That is a great grandson quilt with perfect colours. Good luck with the book making. Hopefully soon things will turn a corner; this just can’t keep happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking something will change since I feel we're just "going down the rabbit hole!" Thanks for the kind thoughts. Have a wonderful day. mary

      Delete
    2. BTW, I read your post quite often but still cannot comment on your sight and your email is no reply here. Hope you can get your sight fixed.

      Delete
  2. Great likes. I agree even speaking out publicly anymore can be frightening. All we can do it pray, and continue to send out good vibes into the universe and to always be kind. Like your "found" quilt. Have a fabulous first day of November.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No quilt police in my world! I think your quilt is fabulous. Continue to do what you do and enjoy doing it. I believe that's what makes it special. Those squirrels! I understand how they work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely need quilty "therapy" these days - thank goodness for this lovely quilt community to share it with! I like your Arizona Cardinals project, and I thought right away that it was perfect for your grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary! Such wonderful loves this week, in spite of what's been going on. I will be ever so happy to be on the other side of the election so the commercials and phone calls just stop. I've already voted, and do they really think someone is influenced by those name calling commercials? Yes, I'll vote for him because he used the best nasty names??! Seriously. Anyway, love your quick finish quilt and your grandson will think it's the best thing ever. How great is that?!! Happy Thursday to you! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary you always express love. I nearly couldn't write my post this week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me Lee Anna, it was not easy to write my post this week also.

      Delete
  7. "We need to focus on the good in our lives and do what we can to provide good vibes to others"- oh, so very true and necessary! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your likes. I bet your grandson will love his quilt as will the recipients of the ones you donated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is always hope and good people...sometimes you just have to look a little harder for them. They will love your donation quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. From one upset lady to another, let's vote tomorrow. And I gave up on the darn cooking and cleaning totally. Sending love,hugs and best wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete