Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Things i like Thursdays Oct 25

Greetings!

I apologize for not posting last week, but I've been sick for 2 weeks with intestinal issues. I  know, TMI. I'm finally feeling better so I have some "likes" to share with you:

1.  A good chiropractor. I have had the same chiro for about 20 years.  The bad part is he does not take medicare insurance.  So, unless I get really bad, I can't afford to see him.  I have tried others over the years who didn't even come close to his knowledge and care.  So, I finally bit the bullet and have seen him 3 times in a week because my back was really messed up.  I cannot tell you how much better I am now that my bones are where they should be!

2. Dairy Free products.  I was already gluten and soy free with my food choices and then had to go dairy free for 3 weeks.  At first, I was so sick, I didn't care- I mostly had a liquid diet for 3 days.  I've used lactose free milk for many years so that helped.  Then I wanted to eat food. I was surprised how many choices there are for dairy free food!


Granted, you are going to pay a lot more, but at least you have choices. The Almond Milk yogurt is even better tasting then regular yogurt, in my opinion.  Since I'm also watching sugar and carbs, I only eat half a container. The cheese slices are palatable.  The mac and cheese was very good.
I have been obsessed with food choices for weeks now.  Hopefully, things will calm down and I can get back to quilting.

3. Specialty yoga on You Tube.  My daughter practices yoga every morning for about 45 minutes and ,trust me, with a special needs teenager she has a very busy morning. But, yoga has transformed her health.  I have dabbled in yoga over the last few years but have been trying more the last few weeks to relieve tension and pain. I got lazy over the summer due to breathing problems but my balance and strength suffered because I wasn't stretching out enough with yoga.  The one site we both like and has a reputable history is
Do Yoga With Me on You Tube.
There are several instructors and many different classes geared to particular issues of the body. I highly recommend this yoga sight.

4. Crock Pot Beef Stew.  Of course, since I started feeling well and doctor advised to get back on to  real food, I craved a comfort meal.  I purchased some beef stew meat and was surprised to see a pretty easy recipe right on the package. The meat said it was "blade tenderized".  I've not seen this before but it works:
This is a photo taken before I added the sauce from the pot.  I dredged the meat but didn't have to brown it. Yay- one less step. I just put vegetables on the bottom of the crock pot, added spices and 1 cup water plus 1 cup beef broth, then the meat on top. Cooked on high 4 hours. Done and good.


5.  AAA auto road service and repair.  I'm a single woman who does not like to ask the men (son and son in law) in my family to bail me out with vehicle trouble plus, neither one are technicians).  I joined AAA about 3 years ago ($100 a year!).  I've used the road service I think 3 times for various issues and have been thrilled with their service.  Last week, when I left the chiropractor at 1 in the afternoon, my passenger window made a loud noise and fell to the bottom of the door.  Scared the crap out of me-I thought I'd been shot at. (We have bad road rage here). This is not the first time with power windows trouble with my Ford! I've lost the power mechanism for the windows in all 4 of them, now.
I digress. I was only 2 miles from the nearest AAA repair shop so I turned around and dropped my vehicle off.  I couldn't believe they had it fixed by the next morning. I was lost without my vehicle even for a few hours and had to change my schedule but they had it fixed in less than 24 hours.  I have not had such good results with the dealerships and other repair shops here. Those places  didn't even look at my vehicle the first day.   I am so relieved to have it done and can now tool around in my vehicle. I recommend AAA very highly.  It's the little things, people.

Well, after all this food, I'm hungry.  I hope everyone is having a good day.  Please join us at Lee Anna's post Not Afraid of Color to see everyone's positives for this week!
Thanks for stopping by.
mary

Updated at the last minute:  I am very upset about the bombs  mailed to all those people and organizations  on Wednesday as I'm sure many of you are. These were assassination attempts on 2 presidents, an attack on our free press, attacks on public servants!  What is wrong with people?  I hope they catch the deranged person(s) responsible soon .  I fear for our country if this is our new normal in this divisive, hateful  climate of politics and so- called "governing".  I pray we will be able to change things with the midterm elections.

11 comments:

  1. Great likes! I'm so glad you posted the crock pot stew! It's getting cold here and that is such a great meal in the winter! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking I'd like to try making my own yogurt from almond or oat milk. It's amazing how many dairy free options have come out in just the last few years. Yoga... it's good stuff. I need to get back to that at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary! Thank you for the yoga tip. I have been wanting to get into yoga - have purchased Sue and I a mat and have taped several shows from the local PBS TV station. I will check out your recommendation. I can even put YouTube on our TV to watch along. I went and did early voting just last night after work. I am ready for a big massive change in this country. My fingers are crossed. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is difficult when our food choices are limited, even for a short time. I am beginning to do yoga too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you have some great alternatives for your food selections. I need to do yoga I hear it helps lose weight and helps with your balance. I joined AAA recently just in case, you never know what will happen, especially when you travel a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary, I loved this post-good reading. I keep thinking I should do yoga. I do a set of back exercises sometimes when I get a kink. I had no idea you could get almond milk yogurt..that is all we drink these days. I'm so glad you went to the chiro and got yourself feeling better. AAA is a great idea; we have had it off and on. SO happy your car is fixed up now. You sound much more chipper!
    I am sorry there is so much fear abounding and the division that seems (from the outside) to be growing. A lot of mending will be required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jocelyn. I hope you find the yogurt there. We already voted here so we're anxious to see a change in our government. I envy yours. ( as well as liking your prime minister). just sayin.

      Delete
  7. Hi, Mary! I missed your post last week - so glad you're feeling better! It's good you're finding good tasting alternatives for the foods you have to avoid. I love beef stew in the crockpot, too! Hope you're back to sewing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mary... wish I could go to your chiro... I'm a physical mess o'pain. Then with the bombs, and the stupid news saying Hillary mailed it to herself... and some eejits believe it... well, on the heels of the ignorant rantings about the women who have been harassed well, I'm a mess o pain. Glad you're back with us, helping me remember good things to balance the mess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lee Anna- I feel your pain. I hope you can find a good chiro soon. In the meantime, I'll make another suggestion- a Homedics Shogun Shiatsu massager- it's pretty good size and I hope they still sell one- I've had it over 20 years and use it up against a wall on my lower back for temporary relief. But, there is nothing better for me than my chiro- just pretty expensive. Of course, a really good massage might help you too.

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad you're feeling better enough to post! It sounds like an awful couple of weeks. I love the idea of youtube yoga, and am glad for the suggestion. I walk with the dogs a lot and need to start jogging, but even when I was jogging before I always felt like I needed more stretching, flexibility, and core strength. Maybe yoga would help!

    ReplyDelete