Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Things I like Thursdays June 7

Greetings!

Just so you know, we hit 110 on Monday . It's going to be a long summer and I've already experienced dehydration. I'm up to 80 ounces of liquid a day , now.  It's just annoying to keep track of this stuff. However, the alternative isn't too hot (yeah) either.

Here is my short list of things I like this week. Short only because I have to leave in a few minutes to care for my grandson.

1.  My trip to Joann's  where I saved $57 and spent $48!  Last weekend, I got their Fat Quarters for a $1:

I grabbed 13 without checking my stash for needed colors.  I'm happy with my choices  but glad I washed a few for a future project because they shrunk to 19 x18. Luckily I checked them before cutting!  I picked up batting and rotary blades all on sale plus a 20% off total purchase so it was a good trip.

2. My new OS ruler.  I certainly did not need another ruler but there was a 25% off notions sale at a local quilt shop and the sales woman asked if I had ever tried that type before because it did not move when cutting.  I said no but watched her use one.  I tried it and loved it.  So, I got one:
It's 6 x 12 and I love it. The name on the ruler is "Quiltersselect.com

3. A large tote bag I made for Natalie.
Here are the 12 strips from a Kaffe Fassett 2016  jelly roll for a tote bag for my daughter-in-law's sister. Natalie saw one I made for my DIL and wanted one in teal with blue. I love these colors.
Here are each side of the bag:


It's 22" x 18" x 5".  Great for a Spa day or going to the pool. It's lined in a stash solid blue. The straps are 36" long which makes it so much easier to carry.  I made it in 2 afternoons! This bag was hard to part with.

That's all for me this week.  Hope you are all enjoying your summer! Please join us at Lee Anna's site for more likes: Not Afraid of Color

mary


12 comments:

  1. Good Morning Mary! Oh shoot, I missed the $1 fat quarter sale. I discovered that I need 17 different ones for a new project. Oh well, they'll have it again and maybe the sale will be before I actually get started. Fingers crossed! That ruler looks great - I like that size and not moving when cutting also sounds fab. I'll bet your grandson wants to spend time in the pool? Maybe you too if it's already 110. Holy moly it's early for those triple digits, although we were in the mid 90s and we're WAY up north! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roseanne. I hope you are receiving this reply since the email feature is still not working and I forgot to send me my own comment. Yes, the heat is unbearable. Unfortunately, I cannot be out in it so I'm inside unless i'm in the truck. My grandson cannot go to a pool because of his disabilities but he is in San Diego this week cooling off.

      Delete
  2. I've seen those Quilters Select rulers - I guess they're made so they don't slip on the fabric, which I could really use! I love the tote bag you made, too - such a great way to use some jelly roll strips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diann. I have to say I really liked that bag. When my life slows down a little, I hope to make some more.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Those big bags are really great in the summer.

      Delete
  4. Such a pretty bag. Ruler and a sale! What's not to like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I get giddy when I feel I got something pretty and on sale.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I want that bag too! Beautiful, Mary.
    I love your sales and you said you washed the fabric. I am guilty of never doing that and it makes me wonder if I really should.
    I would love a non slip ruler too.
    Please do stay hydrated...so important and apparently, we don't realize we aren't till it's a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm floating in water!! I only prewash fat quarters from certain stores because I've experienced running or large shrinkage from their products in the past.

      Delete
  6. Hi Mary... as to the dehydration... I am on the edge as I just don't drink enough here. It's amazingly hard to drink enough. We're buying a home (I hope it all works out, fingers crossed) from people moving to your area and the husband said he should skip the move and jump into an oven.

    The ruler... I have so many but when you find one that is a bit different I agree get it. This one may become your fave with no slipping. If you can easily see thru it to measure, can you? Let us know after you use it!
    The bag is gorgeous, good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee Anna! I'm so excited about your possible new home! I feel bloated from drinking so much water and now have other new medical issues this week. It never stops. Ugh. However, quilting is such fun and keeps me sane.

      Delete