Thursday, June 14, 2018

Things I like Thursdays Jun 14

Greetings!

Well, another week has gone by and I'm crawling thru. (some weeks are better than others).  But, I do have some stuff I'm grateful for and would like to share with you:

1. Rebooting my wifi.  Ok, to some of you this is a no-brainer but since retirement, I'm not as confident as I used to be with my hardware skills on my computer.  I had seen several notices online news to reboot my WIFI due to hacking all over the U.S. I also changed my password just in case. just sayin. This all required crawling under the desk, separating a thousand cables and praying I didn't disconnect the wrong one. Luckily, it all worked.

2. Coconut water-that tastes good.  My son was telling me about the benefits he's noticed from adding coconut water to his diet, so I decided to try it. I really like it cause it's got pineapple in it. Coconut water  prevents dehydration! I don't like "flavored" water so this is quite an improvement.  But, I would not recommend the plain coconut water- it's an overpowering taste.  Give this new one a try and let me know what you think.

3. My new "Lulu" quilt top .  Here's a shot of the original top made from Charms on Point pattern from MSQC, the charms are sewn into 6 piece rows with 12 rows . Then you cut it up into these weird triangles and reattach into a square which produces the "on point" design.

This was so easy once I repaired an incorrect cutting! My LQS owner helped me rearrange the cut pieces and I sewed it back together in a 1/8th inch seam. Then we watched the tutorial again on You Tube and made the correct cut. The final square only measured 38 x 38 so borders were in order.

The fabric is "Lulu Lane" by Corey Yoder which I paired with Bell Solids White 88. I added a Bella Solid green border and then JR strips from "Baby Jane" by Julie Comstock. it looked boring- so I removed the last border of low prints , added white instead.

I hope you can see the difference in this photo by separating the colors with white. I then reattached the Baby Jane strips which now makes the top 49 x 49,  I then added one more white strip  and then a yellow border. Luckily, I don't do much seam ripping- thank goodness;  'cause,  it took me 2 hours to remove those first JR print strips! It was hard on my tendinitis thumbs.  I'm so glad I did, tho.
Here is the final top

It finished at 57 x 57. I usually make rectangle quilts so this will be interesting to quilt on my machine, such a big square. It's bright and cheery for the summer. Sorry this photo seems a little blurry.
  I wonder what this pattern would be like made from layer cakes!  Hmmmm. I wonder  if the cutting instructions would be different.

As you can see, I finally had some sewing time while my pumpkin was on vacation in San Diego.  It was fun to sit and sew. . I hope you are having a nice summer too!  Please join us at Lee Anna's post for more likes: Not Afraid of Color

Have a wonderful day
mary 😄

17 comments:

  1. Mary, which coconut water did you like? I do enjoy most of the ones I've had but none are pineapply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I forgot to insert the photo! VitaCoco I got at Frys(Kroger) but it's also at Walgreens for $1 more each!

      Delete
  2. That looks beautiful!!! Very spring-like :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Preeti- That's the first time I added borders like that so I'm pleased with it.

      Delete
  3. I love your quilt top, Mary! I'll have to watch that video, because I have a charm pack that would be fun for that. Glad your computer fiddling worked out! That stuff can be nerve-wracking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diann-I hope you try it. It was pretty simple for a great effect.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mary! Ugg, I know just what you mean about unplugging the wifi. I really think they just said that, and then sat back and laughed at people like you and I. I did reboot ours, and it already has a crazy password with + and = in it, so I don't know how somehow could possibly guess it. I love the baby quilt - and I have never made one on point. Jenny often has great, easy ways of doing things so I will check that one out. Happy Thursday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roseanne- That's a great idea on password options!

      Delete
  5. Your finished quilt top is so pretty! And I hope your hands are ok after the removing-of-strips. I hate frogging- I had to rip out a bunch of quilting the other day after I inadvertently had the backing flipped back on itself. ARG!! I'm glad you got your wifi reset, I have to call my ex every time mine does something weird which really hurts my brain but....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon-I never heard it called frogging before. Cute.

      Delete
  6. Pretty quilt. I've heard that about coconut water, too, but still haven't tried it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised at the energy I've had since I've been drinking it!

      Delete
  7. I love the Lulu!!! I'm going to look for coconut water now! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. Enjoy! Your body will love it. I forgot to show the photo of the one I like-it's called VitaCoco and is at Walgreens but cheaper at Fry's(Kroger).

      Delete
  8. Gosh what a great idea to pair coconut with pineapple...I like coconut water but only in small amounts because I do find coconut overwhelming.
    I love your quilt...the colours with white so striking...it is the same pattern of my present Grasshopper blocks which I’m stitching by hand and practicing my accuracy with. I am constantly taking out a line of stitching which is encouraging me to stitch very carefully, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilting! Glad you found a coconut water that you like. Several years ago, we were on vacation somewhere and a vendor was handing out free samples (like a 3-oz bottle) and the nearby trash cans were spilling over with 3/4 full bottles - no one (myself included) liked the taste!

    ReplyDelete