Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Things I Like Thursdays Jul 26

Greetings!

Well, things are almost back to normal after being so sick for a month.  Still have to do breathing treatments 4 x day which I'm grateful for, but have to take with me to my daughters house while taking care of my grandson again 3 days a week.
Today, he goes to the high school for picture ID day.  It will be his first time there. All those kids will be quite a shock but he is excited to see what we are talking about.
 Also, my daughter got him a "Gizmo" phone which is for young kids (contains a GPS). We  have 2 weeks to teach him how to use it and learn to communicate where he is and what he's doing in case of emergencies. It's a watch which is on his right arm (which he does not use due to a stroke at 2 weeks old). But, he can use his left fingers to push a button to call mom, dad or me which is pre programmed. Technology is so vital for special needs persons. I'm in awe.
 I hope this works well for him as we are all so concerned for his safety in a public high school. He was in kindergarten through 8th grade in one public school where everyone knew him all those years. This will be different for him.  He will be in one classroom for the 4 years, tho. Just wanted to share an insight to our little world.

In the meantime, I have a few other "likes" this week:

1. Chocolate banana ice cream.  The recipe is at joybauer.com.
Very easy,healthy,  made mostly with bananas and can be dairy free if you use alternate milk products. It was very tasty.

2.  Backing for the "Patched and Squares" quilt. I did not have any backing that "fit" so I went through my leftover layer cakes from projects over the years and barely made a backing big enough:


I laid out 30 layer cakes and just sewed them together.  THAT was pretty easy and used up stash. I'll share a finished project later.

3. Bicycle place mats.  I still had some scraps leftover from the Bicycle quilt, so I made some place mats to match, but I wish I'd made them bigger.




 I think they're about 11 x 15 inches- too small. But, they're awfully cute. Talk about a "squirrel" project.  I had the leftover fabric pieces still on the cutting table.  I dropped everything and sewed 2 place mats. done. I still have fabric pieces left.  Maybe some more  will be made in the future, but not right now, when I'm so busy.

That's it for me this week, gotta get ready to leave.  Please join us at Lee Anna's post:Not Afraid of Color for more"likes".

Stay cool friends!
mary





9 comments:

  1. Hi Mary,
    Those bicycle placemats give me an idea!! I have some bicycle fabric that I was going to make a journal color from for my boss and never did. Maybe placemats are the ticket to use up that fabric! The phone/watch sounds like the perfect ticket for your grandson. It will be quite an adjustment for him with the much larger population of students, but I am sure the teachers will ease him in. My experience with special need students is that the teachers in that field are the best, and always look out for their kids. I hope he isn't anxious! Maybe you can have a short walkabout while getting his ID? I am SO glad to hear you are feeling better. {{Hugs}} Happy Thursday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that your treatments are working for you. It's not fun feeling under the weather, says me who has been fighting an allergy the last week that has me snuffed up and low energy.
    I am so hoping things go well for your grandson. I hope he has a teacher that he will be comfortable with and will help shepherd him through the first weeks especially. Those beginnings are important to ease any anxiety and get things off on the right foot. And comforting to family as well. I like the sound of his little tech aid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jocelyn. I know you understand my anxiety about his new school, teacher etc. So far, my daughter is comfortable with everyone but school hasn't started yet. I'm keeping a positive outlook.

      Delete
  3. The watch/phone for your grandson sounds just amazing! It really is wonderful what can be done with technology these days. The chocolate banana ice cream sounds yummy - I'll have to search out the recipe. I love your bicycle placemats! Even if they're a bit small, maybe they would work for a small meal like breakfast. Have a great Thursday, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a while since I've made that banana chocolate ice cream. It's good stuff. Those placemats are cute. I'm glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your bicycle placemats and I loved your bicycle quilt too! Enjoy the ice cream! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that you are feeling better. Chocolate banana ice cream is a perfect treat for dog days of summer. I look forward to your quilt. Stay cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good size for lunch plates. Glad you're better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what big life changes for your grandson. The gps watch is a great idea for him, giving you all security. This is a step toward living in the adult world, and he will handle it. That ice cream... chocolate and bananas? yum

    ReplyDelete