Sunday, March 25, 2018

An historic day, March 24, 2018

Greetings

I try to keep this post's writings  about my varied interests-quilting, sewing, cooking or gardening among life's other pleasures.  But, I cannot ignore the historic day yesterday thanks to the March of Our Lives.
100's of thousands marched in DC alone to support the teenagers who survived the MSD shooting on Valentine's Day.

Millions marched all over  the world unified in their message to bring about change due to gun violence. There were 800 marches! (Even in the Antarctica).  Approximately 15,000 marched here in Phoenix which is the capitol of a gun toting population.  I am not proud of Arizona's wild west attitude to guns but was pleased some people marched in support of change.

(Before my family member was murdered from gun violence in the 90's, I never gave a thought to guns.  Needless to say, I was affected by gun violence).

There was an amazing turn out and there were many young speakers  at  the D.C. march,  but I was totally blown away by an 11 year old named Naomi Wadler from Alexandria, VA. She is 11 years old but spoke more eloquently than most adults I've heard speak.:

"My friends and I might still be 11, we might still be in elementary school, but we know," she added. "We know life isn't equal for everyone and we know what is right and wrong. We also know that we stand in the shadow of the Capitol and we know that we have seven short years until we, too, have the right to vote."

There were millions of signs, of course, but one really struck me: "Eighteenth century law can't regulate 21st century weapons".

I know some of you may not agree with the idea of stronger gun control but many of us feel our society is really in trouble and going in the wrong direction of violence.

I hope these young people feel we have listened to them and the lawmakers pay attention.

I'm off my soapbox now.

Have a wonderful day.
mary

No comments:

Post a Comment