Thursday, June 22, 2017

Things I like Jun 22

Greetings!

Well  I'm feeling a little better this week about the news from the government, but not much.  Of course, stabbings, shootings, vans being used as weapons seems to be increasing world wide so that's not good news.  But, I was able to focus more on the things I like this week than last week. Having other bloggers encouraging positive thoughts is priceless.
So, without further ado, here is my like list for this week.

1. Having breakfast for the first time at Panera Bread.  Oh .my. goodness.  I had an individual ham and cheese quiche , passion tea and saved a mandarin orange muffin for the next day.  I highly recommend all of them.  Of course they were not gluten free so it was my treat day. There was no time for photos, people.

2. My new project on the design wall this week -Christmas Garden quilt. I combined three charm packs plus some  extra scrap charms to make these blocks.  I did not use all the charms so the others will probably be put together in another quilt or runners. I love how the jewel tone prints I did choose are offset by lighter charm edges:


THERE'S A DEER IN THERE. The blocks were made from Pine Fresh by Sandy Gervais for Moda, Basically Holiday by Benartex and Turning Leaves by Holly Taylor for Moda.  I've had these charm packs for years and just need to get them put together! On some of the blocks I used prints for the triangles and others I used solids. Not sure what kind of borders I'll add yet. It will hopefully be a throw size.

3.The Tokyo Train Ride top I put together this week also. The charm pack from the same name is from Cotton and Steel by Sarah Watts. I used an olive green Bella Solid jelly roll for the sashing. It's a baby size to throw size right now:


I wish the prints were more visible. They are of Japanese hillsides, cartoon characters etc.

4. My most fun project started this week: A Tea Cake quilt with tutorial from MSQC,  Layer Cakes  used were from Quilting Treasures=Notting Hill by Kensington,  plus using the Cake Mix Recipe book #2 Block 5 from Moda :

I saw Jenny's tute and just had to try this.  Designed by Miss Rosie's Quilt Co, the book  contains these papers you pin to a layer cake and sew on the dotted lines (in a specific easy order) and then cut on the solid lines.

I don't do paper piecing per se , but this was simple and accurate.  One sheet made enough pieces for 2 blocks at one time. I think there's 45 sheets in the book.

Here is one block:


How sweet!  I enjoyed this and like the idea I can sit even for a few minutes and make a block easily but appears intricate. Yes.  And, the above block is just one pattern made from these cut pieces.  I think there are 5 different patterns on this recipe card.

Thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoyed the post. Please go on over to Lee Anna at Not Afraid of Color to see more "likes".

Have a wonderful day.
mary




7 comments:

  1. You've been working on some fun projects! I'm fascinated with the one that you are sewing onto the paper to make all the HSTs. Where did you find the book with the papers in it? I definitely know how you're feeling about the government and the state of the world. It's just too much sometimes. Hard to know what to think. I'm glad to have friends in our blogging community who understand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased the Moda Recipe book #2 from https://www.missouriquiltco.com/. They have the best daily deals but also, Jenny has the best tutorials on You Tube also.
      Hope you try them. mary

      Delete
  2. Wow - I love that layer cake block. I need to do more of those - less cutting and pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary, I love how setting blocks on point can add so much appeal to a quilt. Very pretty for Christmas and the Tokyo Train ride is equally striking with the dark sashings. I was most interested in your A Tea Cup photos and how these patterns work. So they come in a book you say. I've been watching Jenny for years and she makes everything look pretty easy. But this seems like something I could manage and you are right...the finished block looks so interesting and hard. Thanks for sharing this; I'm going to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Tokyo Train Ride is my favorite with the grey sashing.

    ReplyDelete