Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Thursday Things I like Apr 5

Greetings!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week of Spring. We are in the 90's now (already). Ugh.
The allergies are all haywire for most people as everything is in bloom here in the desert. I am no exception. I'm taking Benadryl every night and trying to stay indoors.

Here are my "likes" for this week.

1.  A reputable auto service center.  I can handle most stress and interruptions in our daily life but car trouble is not one of them.  Last year, I lost my brakes without warning and coasted into a neighborhood national- chain auto service center.  The manager was very nice but the repair work wasn't.  A year later and the brake pedal just wasn't right so I went to the Ford dealership where I worked for 20 years and was treated well and correctly.  My vehicle should be ready today and I can rest easy it's done right.

2. My RSC March blocks. I forgot to post these so thought I'd better do that before I start the April ones. Lime/yellow green are the colors for March:


I'm using scraps for most of the blocks but was just a few short so cut on some fat quarters. Guess I don't use green much. Then, I'm using a charm pack of solids which were cut into mini's for the center HST's.   The colors for April are yellow/gold so I have them cut and ready to start.

3.  My New Cookbook.  I don't cook as much as I did years ago, but for the last 2 years (almost 3) , I have been trying to use the Crock Pot instead of the oven.  That's because the oven is old, not sealed shut very well and heats up the whole house which is not good here in the hot desert.  I also love watching cooking shows: The Kitchen, Cook's Country, Pioneer Woman, Trisha Yearwood, Jacques Pepon, etc.
America's Test Kitchen is one of my favorites which I also record.  So, when I saw their Slow Cooker cookbook at the book store, I was thrilled. I usually don't purchase cookbooks (or any real books for myself) but this was an exception.
ATK not only tries many new ways of cooking as well as recipes , they also test products used in the kitchen.  Sometimes, that is tools, appliances, spices (from various countries), storing containers, and condiments. It feels like a scientific or analytical approach to cooking.  But, I have found their recipes to be easy and inspiring.


One of my goals was to make a GOOD pot roast in the crock pot. Mine had not been tender or juicy.  The few I've made turned out gray, dry and tough.
 This is a photo from the book and I swear to you mine came out as delicious, moist and tender as this photo.  I forgot to take a photo of mine!  We were busy eating.  It cooked for 9 hours on low and we had to smell it in the house ALL DAY LONG! That may seem like a long time (and it is) but, for those of you working out of the home during the day or cooking overnight, that might be a good idea. My crock pot keeps food warm for 2 hours after the scheduled timer.

With this cookbook, I've learned to prepare stuff for the crock pot instead of just throwing ingredients in there and hoping for the best.  For instance, combining the  spices with a little oil and cooking a few minutes in the microwave before adding to the crock pot enhances the aroma and taste of  the spices.  Browning the roast is a must.
As you can see, I am a convert to this way of cooking thanks to ATK!

It's been a good week and I look forward to the week end. Hope ya'll are enjoying spring!
Thanks for stopping by and please join us at:Not Afraid of Color for more "likes". !
mary




12 comments:

  1. Hi Mary,
    I love all the cooking shows you mention! ATK is great, and I love the science they share behind all the steps. I didn't know they had a crockpot recipe book, but I can only imagine it is good. That pot roast looks nice and moist and delicious - I often use my crockpot but not as often as I should. I'll check out that cookbook. I appreciate the recommendation. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use my crock pot often. I have an Insta Pot that is fabulous too. Pretty blocks. I agree finding someone to care for your car is tough. Glad you found someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm such a woos when it comes to auto trouble.

      Delete
  3. Amen to a good mechanic! I like your scrappy blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have finally found a good mechanic and I know exactly what it means to do so...a relief.
    I love your scrappy blocks too and greens are surprisingly hard to mix. I adore America's Test Kitchen and used to watch it on PBS many years ago. I have given their cookbooks as gifts many times. And I am using my slow cooker more too...is it the same as a crock pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- I have 3 Crock Pot brands of slow cookers- large, medium and small. Have a great day! mary

      Delete
  5. Glad you found a good mechanic and got those brakes fixed! Your scrappy green blocks are so pretty, and a fun design, too. I haven't ever watched America's Test Kitchen - I'll have to check it out. The roast recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You realize, now I can shop all over the town since my vehicle is fixed! hee hee. I should have mentioned that, here, ATK is on PBS television channel. Sorry. mary

      Delete
  6. We lived in Phoenix for three years and loved the winters ... summer was bearable only 'cause we had a pool. My daughter (in her last year at college) has become an expert at Crock Pot meals out of necessity and convenience ... that pot roast picture may have sold me ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip on the crock pot cook book! I love ATK and didn't think about this book. I think I need it!!! Hope your allergies feel better soon, we are about to go into our season (if it ever gets warm) and I'm dreading it. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to use my crockpot a lot more, but you really have to get up earlier than I am able to get it prepared. A friend gave me an electric pressure cooker she didn't want. This is brilliant! It takes the same type of ingredients as a slow cooker, but for the most part takes less than 30 min to cook. The result is pretty much like from the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hear, hear to good car repair. Thanks for the cookbook review. I love my crock pot and would love more recipes. May you have a wonderful week of lovely weather!

    ReplyDelete