Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Things I like Oct 12

Greetings!

I'm writing this on Tuesday cause I'm preparing for a little vacation in the mountains next weekend.  I am so excited to get out of the heat and see green grass, trees and mountains. Not to mention playing with my family.

Here are my "likes" for this week:

1. Finding new places nearby.  My brother and I took a little drive to Surprise, Az about 10 miles away.  It's a new city (about 2005) expansive, lovely new subdivisions, quiet.




The first photo is Surprise Park, but as you can see it's brown not green grass. Ugh. The second photo is a copper tree sculpture in downtown. Love it.  The third photo is a quilt shop which I had not heard of and we had a lovely time looking at fabric and projects. I felt funny taking photos while inside so didn't. The ladies who ran the shop seemed very nice. I'll return later.

2. A lined drawstring backpack for a trip.  I made this backpack out of cotton batik with a lining of mint green cotton.

It's 12 x 15 inches, very lightweight but big enough for just a few things when we walk a trail in the woods near our cabin. I've never used a backpack ( I know, I've had a  sheltered life) . Seriously tho, I usually just walk with water, but if you don't have pockets or just want your arms free, I can see the need for this to carry necessities. As I've gotten older I need to carry more stuff.  I didn't have a pattern and was in a time constraint, so I just winged it. The hard part was figuring out the casing at the top with 4 opened ends and how to run the cording through. LOL

3. Another mini wallet. This is a Gift Card Holder made on the pattern of my tea wallets. My daughter asked for a wallet to keep her gift cards separate from her other cards in her purse.


She asked that I put a "G" (for gift card) on it which I did but I don't make letters so it's not too pretty.  I love the elastic closing strap! The wallet is about 4 x 4 when closed. It's hard for me to make cause I have to hand sew the 2 side straps to the middle.  My thumbs do not cooperate. It is so light weight I decided to use mine as a real wallet on my trip. Liberating.

I pray everyone has a great week and no traumatic events take place. There is not wifi where we are going, so that should be interesting for 4 days!

Please join us at Lee Anna's site Not Afraid of Color for more "likes".

Thanks for dropping by.
mary



10 comments:

  1. Have a great time! glad to see a neutral lime green !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love that green, too and I used the backpack on my trip!

      Delete
  2. I love those little backpacks. They can be so handy. And quick easy projects are always fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was the first time I had used a backpack and it was so light weight and functional.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mary,
    I hope you enjoy your mini vacation to the mountains. I have good friends in the Tempe area and I hear them talk about going to the mountains too. I imagine it is quite lovely. I never had any problems taking photos in quilt shops until my most recent visit. The person was actually quite rude, so I didn't leave any money with them (too bad, too). I like to write about quilt shops for my blog but I'm not mentioning them! I hope you have a wonderful time. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, you reminded me of an experience I had with my first quilt shop and I'll never go back. I was so shocked to see an owner who was so rude! But, her loss, not mine. I will check out your blog! I had such a wonderful trip.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mary, have a wonderful time! What a delightful name for a community-Surprise, and how lucky to find a quilt shop there. I'm envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jocelyn, I did-sooo nice to see such beautiful pines and be cold!

      Delete
  5. I made myself one of those cloth backpacks, too, and it has worked great for hiking and whenever I don't want to carry my purse. Yours is such a pretty green! Hope you have a wonderful trip and get lots of cool and green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I did! Hope to blog about it this Thursday! My backpack was perfect!

      Delete